Loch Lomond Scotland

Swim4milesSwim4miles New Member
edited November 2013 in Event Announcements
Hi everyone, I am running swims down the length of Loch Lomond 24 miles or shorter swims if required. Loch Lomond is set in an area of natural beauty and you wil enjoy your swim through the islands and maybe even see some wallabies! No-one has ever done a relay of Loch Lomond so you cold be the first. The record for the whole length if 9.30hrs and this has stood for years.
See swim4miles.com for further details of what's available and challenge yourself!
tortuga

Comments

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Hi there- just wondering what the typical water temperatures in Loch Lomond are in the summer time? Thanks!

ZoeSadler

Stop me if you've heard this one... A grasshopper walks into a bar... https://elaine-howley.squarespace.com/

• ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

Apparently 16C today according to the Ranger Station in Balloch.

Congratulations to Jane Bell who has just completed her solo of Loch Lomond today - unofficial time of 17 hours 46 minutes. This makes her the 52nd person to complete this swim under BLDSA rules, subject to ratification.

FYI The BLDSA Loch Lomond Championship is on 20/21 August this year- there are 10 entrants. ;)

Helbe

Oooh, that's not a bad temp! :-) I think this just officially got on my list of swims to do. Congrats to Jane Bell on a great swim!

ZoeSadlerHelbe

Stop me if you've heard this one... A grasshopper walks into a bar... https://elaine-howley.squarespace.com/

• ssthomasssthomas Charter Member

Group trip again, @emkhowley? :-)

emkhowleyZoeSadlerHelbe

I'm in if you are, @ssthomas!

ZoeSadlerssthomas

• Can I invite myself to go too?

• HelbeHelbe Senior Member

If you do go can I recommend the BLDSA event held every 2 years in mid-late august. swim is an overnighter saturday into sunday morning aiming to arrive at the beach in time for group fried breakfast :)

tortuga
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

Congratulations to @Helbe on swimming Loch Lomond overnight on Saturday / Sunday. 15 hours 3 minutes (I think). :-)

Unfortunately I pulled out just after 5 hours. I just got too cold - I'm not making excuses or blaming anyone other than myself. I really enjoyed the swim up until that point. But I still joined the group for the fried breakfast and the presentations on the Sunday morning.

ssthomasthelittlemerwookieHelbephodgeszoho
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member

ZoeSadler said: Congratulations to @Helbe on swimming Loch Lomond overnight on Saturday / Sunday. 15 hours 3 minutes (I think). :-)

Thanks @ZoeSadler . Actual time was 15hrs 6 mins and some seconds. Sadly I felt too queasy post maxi overdose to consider the fried breakfast, but it was fab catching up with all the swimmers and crews and volunteers at the presentations. The BLDSA organisation and safety support was brilliant. I think I got second place by just three minutes ahead of third but a massive 4.5 hours behind the awesome winner, Sabrina Wiedmer !! :o

phodgeszoho