Crossing the Río de la Plata

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited February 2018 in General Discussion

The Río de la Plata in Argentina/Uruguay is known as the widest river in the world (technically a tidal estuary). There is some amazing marathon swimming history there: the first crossing was in 1925 by Lilian Harrison -- Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay to Punta Lara, Argentina (40 km). Antonio Abertondo (first two-way EC) also made the crossing twice, in 1946 and 1950.

A local named Lucas Rivet is developing a new sanctioning org for the swim: the Asociación Cruce a Nado Río de la Plata, or ACNRP. He is working to compile and authenticate nearly 100 years of Río de la Plata swims. Some of his work so far can be seen in the photos section of the ACNRP FB page.

Lucas and his colleagues are also working on a documentary film:

Anyway, I think this looks like a fantastic and challenging swim, never done by a North American or European as far as I know. Best wishes to Lucas in developing this project!

dpm50rlmCopelj26AnthonyMcCarleyWebstem67

Comments

• owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member

Cool. Was anyone watching Damián Blaum's crossing recently? It seems like there was a bit of confusion with the authorities on the first attempt and had to get out halfway. Thankfully he got a cross in a new record of 9:06 a few days later...

http://fermoyfish.com – Owen O'Keefe (Fermoy, Ireland)

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

owenswims93 said:
    It seems like there was a bit of confusion with the authorities on the first attempt and had to get out halfway.

Permits from Argentinian authorities to cross the border from Uruguay to Argentina didn't arrive on time (apparently due to bank holidays in Argentina during carnival feasts; they only had verbal permit before the start). Hence no emergency readiness team was placed at the Argentinian side of the river, so the Red Cross (responsible of the safety issues of the crossing) pulled him out, after a 30 minutes discussion (with Blaum still in the water). This was 4 hours into the swim (21+ km), right in the middle of the river (where the border is placed).

Source: http://www.dib.com.ar/noticia.php?noticia=6722

Video:

He was wearing a technical swimsuit. ACNRP's website doesn't have any information regarding rules for the crossing. In the video, Blaum says that the Rules states that the crossing finishes when you can stand up on the ground, regardless how far you are from the shore; so there are Rules, though apparently they are not public (I couldn't find anything).

JaimieIronMike
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber
    edited March 2018

Yes, this swim has only been done to date by local Argentine and Uruguayan swimmers. (Sergio Salamone did do it and I think he’s originally from Italy but living in Argentina. I also think Lillian Harrison was born in England but identified as Argentine.) There was also a Peruvian finisher... They are looking for international swimmers to come and do the swim! I I did it a few years ago as part of a large winter relay and this swim is no joke, but doable. If anyone is interested I would say do some research on the water and reach out to Lucas - Seems like a great team.

• owenswims93owenswims93 Fermoy, IrelandSenior Member

Thanks for the info @bruno! I don't have much Spanish so couldn't follow everything exactly. It's definitely one that I'd be interested in as I have some cousins from Buenos Aires...

http://fermoyfish.com – Owen O'Keefe (Fermoy, Ireland)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2018

bruno said:
    He was wearing a technical swimsuit. ACNRP's website doesn't have any information regarding rules for the crossing. In the video, Blaum says that the Rules states that the crossing finishes when you can stand up on the ground, regardless how far you are from the shore; so there are Rules, though apparently they are not public (I couldn't find anything).

I asked Lucas about this; he said, "If it's not neoprene, we allow it." And also that there is a separate neoprene category.

The full-body (textile) speedsuits that the FINA swimmers wear are only subtly distinguishable from wetsuits in photographs - I had to browse the Arena website to make sure.

It's unfortunate in my opinion.... I'm sure Damian would have gotten the record even in a budgy smuggler or wool suit. Great swim, in any case.

28238064_1604926659586763_4959133409240077669_o

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited March 2018

bruno said:

I asked Lucas about this; he said, "If it's not neoprene, we allow it." And also that there is a separate neoprene category.

The full-body (textile) speedsuits that the FINA swimmers wear are only subtly distinguishable from wetsuits in photographs - I had to browse the Arena website to make sure.

This came up last August when 4 swimmers did a crossing of my old route in lake Issyk Kul. One of them wore one of those tech suits. I told him congrats, but his time won't count and he'll be listed as assisted. He complained that they were approved for triathlons. ;)

JustSwim

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

According to FB, looks like a record was made yesterday, International Women's Day, by a female swimmer! Pilar Geijo swam this crossing in 9 hours 33 minutes. Looking at ACNRP's page, looks like this is the fastest crossing by anyone since the first crossing in 1923, also a woman, Lilian Harrison.

Congratulations, or more appropriate, Felicitaciones Pilar!

JustSwimSonjaJwendyv34JellyfishwhispererJaimie

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams