English Channel Windows and Slots

GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember
edited May 31 in General Discussion

Hi all - this may sound like an obvious question for some, but nobody has provided me with a clear answer so far.

I am booked to attempt the English Channel on July 3-10 window, with slot #3. While I know many people that have managed to swim on slots #3 and #4, I also appreciate the chance of not having the green light during that week at all. What exactly happens in that case? Do I get a new slot in the following tide (July 20-27) and in that case, what happens to the 3 or 4 swimmers that are already booked for that week? Do I become slot #5? How far away can they reschedule you for?

As usual, I greatly appreciate any experience from fellow members. Thanks in advance Diego

evmoDuganaddy
Tagged:

Comments

• JaimieJaimie NYCCharter Member

Hi @GlobalSwimmer - this will depend on your pilot, if it's not outlined in your contract you should definitely ask them. I think the default is that if you don't get to swim you would get a refund or reschedule until their next free slot which could be a year or two out, but in actuality most would work with you to get you in if they can based on availability, how far away you are, etc.

evmothelittlemerwookieKarl_KingeryKatieBunGlobalSwimmer
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

...and sometimes you get to swim on the spring tide between the neaps. Sometimes you will indeed be no.5 on the next neap.... or you become a "fit-in" when everybody else has got away on their tides. If you're totally blown out, you may become a fit-in the following year.

GlobalSwimmer
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

So basically... it sucks! Haha but that’s the beauty of it I guess - thank you both for the help!!

KatieBun
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

The unpredictability of the weather makes it something of a mindgame @GlobalSwimmer. The waiting and wondering can be hugely frustrating.