English Channel Windows and Slots

GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember
edited May 31 in General Discussion

Hi all - this may sound like an obvious question for some, but nobody has provided me with a clear answer so far.

I am booked to attempt the English Channel on July 3-10 window, with slot #3. While I know many people that have managed to swim on slots #3 and #4, I also appreciate the chance of not having the green light during that week at all. What exactly happens in that case? Do I get a new slot in the following tide (July 20-27) and in that case, what happens to the 3 or 4 swimmers that are already booked for that week? Do I become slot #5? How far away can they reschedule you for?

As usual, I greatly appreciate any experience from fellow members. Thanks in advance Diego

evmoDuganaddyBogdanZ
Tagged:

Comments

  • JaimieJaimie NYCCharter Member

    Hi @GlobalSwimmer - this will depend on your pilot, if it's not outlined in your contract you should definitely ask them. I think the default is that if you don't get to swim you would get a refund or reschedule until their next free slot which could be a year or two out, but in actuality most would work with you to get you in if they can based on availability, how far away you are, etc.

    evmothelittlemerwookieKarl_KingeryKatieBunGlobalSwimmer
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

    ...and sometimes you get to swim on the spring tide between the neaps. Sometimes you will indeed be no.5 on the next neap.... or you become a "fit-in" when everybody else has got away on their tides. If you're totally blown out, you may become a fit-in the following year.

    GlobalSwimmer
  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

    So basically... it sucks! Haha but that’s the beauty of it I guess - thank you both for the help!!

    KatieBun
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

    The unpredictability of the weather makes it something of a mindgame @GlobalSwimmer. The waiting and wondering can be hugely frustrating.

  • KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

    So silly question... when the Channel Swimming Association says that "pilots are booking 3 years out" does that mean we're talking that swimmers have to wait 3 years to swim, or could someone actually get a swim in the upcoming calendar year? So much to learn and take in about this stuff!

  • GlobalSwimmerGlobalSwimmer New York NYMember

    There are always cancellations and chances of not having to wait that long. I'd say send a round of emails to the 7 CSA pilots and to the 6 CSPF pilots to see what's the earliest you can get with a decent slot, and then make sure you monitor their FB / Twitter accounts, as they sometimes post last-minute availability (e.g. Masterpiece just published on its FB a slot free in September).

    Karl_KingeryMaryStellaBogdanZ
  • KatieKatie Charlotte, NCMember

    GlobalSwimmer said: There are always cancellations and chances of not having to wait that long. I'd say send a round of emails to the 7 CSA pilots and to the 6 CSPF pilots to see what's the earliest you can get with a decent slot, and then make sure you monitor their FB / Twitter accounts, as they sometimes post last-minute availability (e.g. Masterpiece just published on its FB a slot free in September).

    Thanks @GlobalSwimmer ! Pretty much was thinking this (great ideas come during morning practices!) would be a good way to go about it. If anything, it starts to put the swim more firmly on my radar screen while also getting a good feel for how to time the build up, training , etc. Don't think September is at all in the cards for me but this could be a great adventure for 2019 or even 2020 if it came to that. There is a lot to read up on when it comes to the EC (or Catalina for that matter) and I'm just trying to get it all straight. Appreciate the help and guidance of having this forum.

    IronMike
Sign In or Register to comment.