Wetsuits for orang-u-tans?

StuartStuart Guildford, UKMember

Hi all. I have stupidly long arms. The rest of me is around 190cm of athletic build, but when it comes to arms, I stole about 3 inches from the next guy in the queue. I don't know what plan I had in mind for such long arms at the time, but then I don't know why I had a road sign on my bedroom wall at university either! This makes wetsuit fitting tricky. All the forums advise not worrying about sleeve length, but the suits look like 3/4 length sleeves on me and just look ridiculous! I'm concerned swimming neoprene gloves won't even bridge the gap when it gets colder. Does anybody know of a brand of swim wetsuit which tends to come up on the long side? I could get one custom made, but am reluctant to go down that route as it restricts design feature options.

Comments

• MoCoMoCo Worcester, MAMember

You might get a broader experience with wetsuits somewhere like slowtwitch (triathletes) vs. here where many people don't wear wetsuits.

During my brief period of wetsuit wearing, I just went with a sleeveless to avoid the arm length issue entirely.

IronMikeStuart
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited July 27

During my brief period of wetsuit wearing, I did have one custom made by Snugg in Newquay..... which is gathering dust and cobwebs in the garage where I put it away with the surfing stuff. They take 20 measurements and it's well worth the cost if you intend to wear it a lot. Bit of a waste for me, as I stopped wearing one 18 months later. Not sure what you mean by "design feature options".

Stuart
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

If having that last few inches of your forearm covered really makes a difference, you could try getting a pair of those neoprene sleeves, (TYR makes them), and cutting them to the length you need to cover the gap.

SoloIronMikeflystormsStuart

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• CamilleCamille Member

I don't wear a wetsuit for racing, but I do for scuba. I have found that Roka and Akona both make super stretchy wetsuits which may help you with the long arm issue and they both make wetsuits for swimming. Also Seac, they mostly make scuba equipment, but they have the longest arms I have ever seen on a wetsuit! They have 2 wetsuits made for swimming and open water- the Seac Aqua, and the Seac Energy.

Stuart
  • StuartStuart Guildford, UKMember

I did consider that although I live in the UK and it was 8.9 degrees centigrade the first time I swam this year.

MoCo said: You might get a broader experience with wetsuits somewhere like slowtwitch (triathletes) vs. here where many people don't wear wetsuits.

During my brief period of wetsuit wearing, I just went with a sleeveless to avoid the arm length issue entirely.

'Design feature options' are those things which come out every year and cost about £75 extra, but are certain to be faster than whatever they came up with last year! Bit like toothpaste which makes your teeth even whiter than the 'brilliant' whites being promoted 20 years ago . . . and the Daz doorstep challenge which should be so white your linens can now glow in the dark! lol All a con I know, but its the psychology of it all! At least that's what I keep telling myself!

KatieBun said: During my brief period of wetsuit wearing, I did have one custom made by Snugg in Newquay..... which is gathering dust and cobwebs in the garage where I put it away with the surfing stuff. They take 20 measurements and it's well worth the cost if you intend to wear it a lot. Bit of a waste for me, as I stopped wearing one 18 months later. Not sure what you mean by "design feature options".

Ooh yeah, good point. It's mostly for when it gets colder or I want to swim Scottish Lochs etc. I don't think they ever heat up much up there . . . unlike the lakes in the pansy south where I'm from.

wendyv34 said: If having that last few inches of your forearm covered really makes a difference, you could try getting a pair of those neoprene sleeves, (TYR makes them), and cutting them to the length you need to cover the gap.

Camille you were on the nail. I tried a Roka wetsuit and it fits me a lot better. Even the little markers on the suit line up with my knees and elbows etc. Took 8 seconds off my 100m swim pace too! Result! Thank you.

Camille said: I don't wear a wetsuit for racing, but I do for scuba. I have found that Roka and Akona both make super stretchy wetsuits which may help you with the long arm issue and they both make wetsuits for swimming. Also Seac, they mostly make scuba equipment, but they have the longest arms I have ever seen on a wetsuit! They have 2 wetsuits made for swimming and open water- the Seac Aqua, and the Seac Energy.