Clean Water Swimming App

FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

For the last couple of years, our group has been involved with monitoring the recreational water quality of Flathead Lake's swimming areas through The Swim Guide, an app (iPhone and Android) and web-based platform.

We even made our local 5-o'clock news!

NBC Montana Segment

Started by the Lake Ontario Waterkeepers in Toronto, there are now over 7,000 beaches and swimming holes being monitored in six countries, and over 2-million users since 2011.

In addition to the real time water quality, the app provides:

• Directions to the closest beaches • Descriptions and amenities • Social media sharing of beach stories • Report pollution

Kind of fun if you're looking for CLEAN places to swim.

Mark NBC2

JustSwimJaimieDaveOIronMikeSydneD

Comments

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

This looks like a great app! Will more bodies of water be added? I don't see anything for the Phila. area, although we who swim in the Schuylkill use www.phillyrivercast.org, which, while not 100 percent accurate is a pretty decent guide. But I like that this tool casts a wide net.

FlowSwimmers
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

They are always adding more locations, @dpm50 . It essentially comes down to local organizations connecting with the developer and becoming an affiliate. It's an easy process and representative of Citizen Science.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I'll pass this info along to some Philly based organizations. Looks helpful!

FlowSwimmers