Has anyone done a marathon swim in San Diego?

Hi everyone!

Has anyone here ever done a marathon swim in San Diego? And if so what sort? I have plans for my first marathon swim next year, but am looking ahead for 2020. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keep Swimming! Naji

Comments

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited September 18

Hi Naji

There was a race around Coronado Island in the 1990s. It is about 11.5 miles with some tide assistance. Historical results at https://db.marathonswimmers.org/events/coronado-around-the-island-swim

Scott Zornig swam around Coronado solo in 2016 - documentation at http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/zornig-coronado/

The swim between the mainland and Islas Coronados (Mexico) has been done a few times. It's about 15 miles from San Diego and 8 miles from Mexico. You will need a passport & probably permits from the Mexican coast guard.

Any number of creative coastal routes available in this area too.

JaimieNajiswimsCathyInCA
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member

If your looking for something pre-formatted the La Jolla Swim Club has the La Jolla Cove 10-Mile Relay & Solo Swim

JaimieNajiswims
  • Tiffany McQueen also swam around Coronado in December 2016. I know she worked with Dan Simonelli on this swim.

NajiswimsCathyInCA
  • cwerhanecwerhane Portland Oregon Member

I am also looking for a swim (15-30k) in the San Diego area around the dates of Dec 13, 14, or 15, 2018. Would be happy to work with the locals and attempt something unusual or scenic.

Najiswims
  • Thank you all for your suggestions I will look into Coronado, Mexico to San Diego, and possibly circumnavigate Coronado.**

• CathyInCACathyInCA Member
    edited September 22

JustSwim said: Tiffany McQueen also swam around Coronado in December 2016. I know she worked with Dan Simonelli on this swim.

I was there for her swim. Beautiful on Dec 7th in honor of Pearl Harbor day. It was so patriotic!

TMcQueen