Cedar Island 5K Swim

jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
edited August 2012 in Event Announcements
Wanted to update everyone on a great event in South Jersey. In it's third year, the Race Director, Midge Kerr puts on an awesome 5K event in Avalon, NJ in the backbays with a mostly tidal assist course. Course starts at 4pm on a Sunday (which will make for little boat traffic) and the afterparty was one of the best I've ever been to! Last year the race was pushed back a few weeks because of the fluke hurricane that hit last August but the owner's of Isabelles in town went all out and had a full spread of salads, sandwiches, desserts, etc...the swim was in honor of her nephew that was killed while serving in the Military (Wounded Warrior Project is the charitable cause involved with the event). Here's some more information on the event:

Cedar Island 5K Swim

Sunday, August 26th, 2012
REGISTER ON ACTIVE.COM HERE

This 5K Swim starts and finishes at Avalon Yacht Club, and the course is designed to be going with the tide throughout the event. This is a self-timed charity event, and we are providing the venue for a fun, challenging and rewarding swim. Our goal is to raise awareness and provide support to our troops and honor members of our country's military.

In addition to the race, homes along the bay will be competing for the titles of "Best Decorated" and "Most Spirited". The boat support crew will also be collecting donations for our charity partners. Awards will be presented to the top five male and female finishers only.

Proceeds from this year’s event will benefit:
WOUNDED WARRIOR PROJECT
TEAM SEMPER FI
PHILADELPHIA COMFORT HOME
AMERICAN LEGION POST #331

Race Registration:
Sunday August, 26th – 3 PM – 4 PM @ Avalon Yacht Club

Cost:
$40 prior to race day
$50 on Sunday
Payable by cash, check, or credit. Checks made out to: Tim Kerr Charities.

Race packets can be picked up between 3 and 4PM at the Avalon Yacht Club. Racers will receive a technical shirt, athlete bag, and a custom swim cap.

Post race buffet will be held at Isabelle's.

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Hmm...only 185 miles from my home. Sunday night might be tough, but who knows...

Thanks for the info.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

I'm registered. See you there on Sunday? Anyone else?

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member
    I'll likely be there. Giving swim lessons all morning, but need to get several hours of my own water time in.
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Sweet...see you guys there! For anyone else, Custom Defeetz socks are part of the goodie bags...can't wait to see what that's about! Also, per the race Director, after the post-race event at Isabelles, swimmers and crew will be heading over to Princeton for a few drinks as well. (Princeton bar not the town!)
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    I am going to try to get to this.

The problem is that I almost died of blood loss on 3 August ( a bleeding ulcer that I didn't know I had & I then spent 3 days in the hospital ) and I'm not sure how She Who Must Be Obeyed will view this. Actually, I know how it will be viewed, it's just a matter of whether she threatens me with sleeping on the couch, divorce or evisceration.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

JC - I can't stay out too late as I have to be at work at 6am the next morning. I talked to the race director at the OC swim and she said there was a 1.5hr time limit. How strict on that will they be?

Also, have you been back there lately? I hit major sea lice/stinging nettles up here last weekend and was wondering how bad it was down in Avalon.
    Sarah....sea lice are a non issue in Avalon. A few weeks back they were present but I was in there on three separate occasions this past weekend (swims ranging from 1-3 miles) and no itching! I don't think Midge will be strict on the cutoff but you should have no trouble...the swim is mostly with the current and the one place where the wind may be a factor (Intracoastal Waterway at the beginning) will assist as it is 8kts from the ENE. Just don't stop at the Champagne Boat for too long!!! :o)
    Definitely not staying long as I'll have a 3 hour drive home after. They will have showers there, yes?

JC, how are you getting all this info? There's not much on the website.

Mike, I did the event last year and have lived in Avalon for the past 18 years (summers). There should be a shower at the AYC.
    Awesome, @jcmalick, thanks!

I'll be the guy in black trunks. ;)

Seriously, I've got a tat on my left calf and left shoulder blade.

JC, will they have a place to lock up our valuables? I'm coming alone and would rather not swim with my car keys!

@IronMike, we may be of a minority in this swim as I think most will be wearing wetsuits. I usually leave my belongings in the back of my truck (at least I did last year) and you're more than welcome to stash your keys with mine...AYC is in an isolated part of town and Avalon overall is very safe...envision Dennis the Menace's town!
    Sounds good. Thanks!

I'm used to being the minority with respect to swimwear!

@jcmalick, @rosemarymint, great meeting you yday. Very fun and well run event. Sorry I left so quickly, but I wanted to tackle the drive back right away.
    And thanks for the diaper rash cream!

Great job out there you two!
    edited August 2012
    What did you end up with JC and RMM? I ended up 67th, which is okay in my book. 1:11.58, so definitely a nice push from the current as that is 2:00 faster than my "flat" 4K last month.

97th. Proud to be third from last. I was there for the scenery, not the speed. Never got an official time, but I think it was 1:36. Gorgeous scenery! Stabbed a few jellies, but I'm sure I didn't harm the population. :)
    I was 41st...not sure my time but right around an hour.
    I did feel two things under the water I thought were fish. Maybe jellies? Felt pretty firm.

They were jellies. They don't really sting, though they can make you a bit itchy.

• I know this is an old thread but anyone going this year?

I am pretty excited about it since it will be my longest race thus far.

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average.

I wish I were going this year but not possible this year upon moving south! I have a lot of friends going and Midge Kerr (race director) always does a superb job! Still one of my favorite swims to date, you won't be disappointed!
    This is a great swim. I wish I could go this year. Well worth it. Beautiful location and fast swim.