24 hour La Tuque swim

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I just finished chapter 15 in the wonderful Wind, Waves, and Sunburn. Made me think: Why aren't we doing 24-hour swims today? I understand maybe it would be hard to get sponsors to attract "professionals," but how about doing it for a charity? 20 two-person teams raising money for something, while having fun doing a La Tuque-style 24 hour swim?

http://books.google.com/books?id=CtF0DgKT_GcC&pg=PA228&lpg=PA228&dq=la+tuque+swim&source=web&ots=41VFLxZ5cW&sig=NR3-v2lKgGVp83xeK0B7YEgKIvY&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result#v=onepage&q=la tuque swim&f=false

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Comments

• Here is one in Australia: http://www.megaswim.com/
    You can enter as a solo or as a team of no more than 15 people and all proceeds go to MS
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    UK has[url=" http://2swim4life.com/"] 2Swim4Life[/url] fundraiser, 1 mile every hour for 24 hours.

loneswimmer.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Still, not really the same as the La Tuque. I'd love to see one in a large lake where you can really knock out 1/3 or 1/2 mile each loop, just you and your partner...

• I am doing the solo 24 hour megaswim at Fitzroy Pool in Melbourne Australia next February. They run these swims almost every month in various pools here and am doing a solo 12 hour practice swim in two weeks for the Monash megaswim (hoping to knock out a 42.5k for a bit of fun). I have heard that one of the side effects is all your hair may fallout from the chlorine. Has anyone had this experience? Guess it saves on a haircut.
    @Lexlomax, there's another thread somewhere here where that is discussed.

• LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    There were 3 of us that did Lake O Crossings this summer... Madhu 41.5 km in 24h- 20 mins... mine at 42.2 km in 20h 52m... and Annaleise (14 years old)... 51.5 in 27h and change.

Hey if you want to do a 24 hours swim... come do a Lake O Crossing!

Cheers,
    Rob

• LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    PS. that is a great book! A must for every marathon swimmer! I was chatting with Kim Lumsden a couple of weeks ago and she was telling me about the author Conrad, and how he was always around back in the golden days of swimming. interesting guy.

Cheers,
    Rob

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    I was chatting with Kim Lumsden a couple of weeks ago and she was telling me about the author Conrad, and how he was always around back in the golden days of swimming. interesting guy.
    He's still around. Most any summer day at Promontory Point in Chicago, starting around 11am.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Bump.
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    Though there are indeed quite a few 24h pool swims, I think many of us would prefer to have a open-water venue instead. Any there any such swims?
  • @Mandai... uh.... YES!! There is one... Feb8/9 2014 in San Francisco. There is a discussion thread... but I don't know how to copy it here. I am the contact person.
    Feel free to contact me.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but...
    If I organized a race, would the marathon swimming community support something like this:
    1) A 12 hr "La Tuque" ( or perhaps a "dawn-to-dark" timeframe - either would be an easier "sell" for a first time race than a 24 hr )
    2) Possible race venues with discussion of each one's pros/cons:
    a) Blue Marsh Lake at the Old Church Rd access (near Reading PA)
    https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=40.406087,-76.078241&spn=0.006961,0.016512&t=h&z=17
    Pros: Plenty of parking, portapots, not too cold, is a no-wake area for powerboats, can make a loop of almost any size, rental kayaks can be delivered right to the site & I know the business owner, plenty of space to spread out, would probably be an easy "sell" for me. Cons: Water can get a bit warm, closest stores/motels about 6 miles away (I think)
    b) Laurel Forge Pond
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=laurel+forge+pond&hl=en&ll=40.040105,-77.268761&spn=0.003499,0.008256&sll=40.398398,-76.059122&sspn=0.055691,0.132093&hnear=Laurel+Forge+Pond&t=h&z=18
    Pros: Plenty of parking, restrooms, showers, snack bar, water is cold, lots of spectators on a nice day, stuff for family to do in park, plenty of spread-out room. Cons: Absolute max size loop would be 0.5-1 KM with 0.5 km more likely, water can be quite cold, not sure how easy of a "sell" this would be.
    c) Fuller Lake
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Fuller+Lake,+Cooke,+PA&hl=en&ll=40.03021,-77.299064&spn=0.00175,0.004128&sll=40.0301,-77.299056&sspn=0.00175,0.004128&oq=fuller+lake&t=h&hnear=Fuller+Lake&z=19
    Pros/Cons: Pretty much the same as Laurel Forge Pond (they are very close to each other) The only difference is that this would have a loop size in the 0.25-0.5 km range as it's a smaller lake.
    d) Lake Susquehanna (@ Eagle Rock Resort near Hazleton, PA)
    http://mapq.st/I4yyw1
    Pros: Plenty of parking, restrooms, showers, plenty of spreadout space, nice beach & play area for kids, max loop size of 1 mile, very clean water, they are used to hosting both OW swims and triathlons as they do it every year for the Hazleton YMCA. Cons: Not many, although fairly far from a store (I think) if you forget something.
    3) Date(s): I was thinking that since 8 Bridges ends on 25 June, maybe having this on 28 June (rain date of 29 June) might have more appeal for out-of-town people to make the most of their travel $$$. Most of these venues are 4-5 hrs drive from the 8 Bridges areas. If it is in Lake Susquehanna, however, I may try to coordinate this with/through the Hazelton YMCA and, if so, there may be a push to have this on 10 August. That's because they are having one of their annual swims that day and might make things easier. ( http://hazyracing.weebly.com/open-water-swim.html )
    4) Cost: This would be fairly "no-frills" to keep the cost depending. Depending on insurance costs, I would hope to keep this in the $100-$150/person range. i.e. $200-$300 per 2-person team. Any money not going to cover costs would go to charity. (If in Lake Susquehanna, it would probably be the YMCA kids swim team. Not sure if at another venue, but Darren Miller's Forever Fund is appealing.)
    5) Rules: Channel rules in terms of garb with jammers allowed. La Tuque rules in terms of switching off, etc.

Is there any interest?

Please feel free to post/PM any preferences, thoughts, comments, suggestions/etc.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• Leonard, I'll let you know ( as I am sure others will) how the Feb 2014 24 Hour swim goes.
    We have showers, sauna, CR*P parking, kitchen and an enclosed area that is easily patrollled in Aquatic Park and is a "no wake " zone.
    Pro** cold water
    Con** cold water.
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    I am thinking that the La Tuque swims were mostly driven by two things:

1. a media story: the promise of a race with world class swimmers vs the hometown Herod/underdogs
    2. alcohol sales, and the novelty of drinking outdoors on the weekend

As I understand it, alcohol sales in Canada were ridiculously restrictive back in the 50s/60s and the only way to sell alcohol on the weekends in Canada was an a sporting event. Marathon swimming was the longest event going, which resulted in the best sales, and this is why you had sponsors for the "Molson Mile".

I think, in present time, managing the media is what would make or break an event. It is a challenging sell.

The fastest pair would emerge pretty quickly, non? And then what would hold the media's interest?
    That said, I encourage these events whole-heartedly. :). Maybe if they were standardized, like triathlon, and then held all over...
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    From what I know of this community, the challenge and commeradity will be the driving force bringing swimmers together. No one cares about the press. Yes, alcohol might be a draw as well, but probably secondary for most.
    @gregoc, I was just explaining what, as I understand it, originally drove the La Tuque swim. I wouldn't imaging alcohol would be a factor today. :)

Sponsors care about press, though.
    @Leonard_Jansen, as you can tell from my first post here, I am in favor of doing this, especially if the water is warmer than the probable low 50's of @suziedods' SF swim. I choose the one near Reading. I know I could get at least one volunteer kayaker!

@Leonard_Jansen, you can't tease us and then go silent. Details!

• The lake in La Tuque really was more of a pond. (I stopped by and looked at it once.) I'm not sure what the loops were, but I don't think it was more than 1/2 a mile. (it's been a long time since I read the book) I think a smaller venue is better for spectators. JenA, thanks for the historical info about the venue and alcohol aspect. I had heard the drinking was crazy at La Tuque but never understood why.
    Just an update... I am currently involved in a fight (to the death) with the IRS over my late mother's estate. Once the legal eagles have everything they need, I will be working on this and let you know what, if anything, is happening on this front. My first shot will be Blue Marsh Lake as I suppose that it will involve the least hassle (I may live to regret saying that.)

-LBJ

Update...
    Got the application for a permit for Blue Marsh Lake. The email that accompanied it had a bit of an "Are you out of your mind?" feel to it. Fortunately, I can honestly answer "Yes" to that question. They are suggesting that something in mid-late August would have a better chance of approval, but my experience is that the water is too warm then. I was talking late June.
    More as it happens.

Sweet! If you need any help that can be done from afar (phone calls, email), let me know!

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    For anyone near Albany, NY: There is a 24-hr relay held in September in Snyders Lake a few minutes east of the capital city. It is very low-key, and teams can be anywhere from 12 people down to our inadvisable 3 people. We managed to each get in around 17 miles over the day (I blocked out the exact distance, all I remember is I cooked a darn fine dozen eggs over a campfire the second morning).

Here's their Facebook page.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• @malinika... whoa.. wait a minute , you've done this before???
    question 2- did you eat the dozen eggs or just cook them?
    Ugly news update: After looking at my schedule for work, running the horse stabling operation, personal "issues" and helping deal with my father-in-law's health problems; not to mention actually trying to swim myself, I have reluctantly concluded that I just don't have time to (dis)organize this in 2014. Maybe in 2015 as part of the national celebration planned for my 60th birthday. Apologies to all.

-LBJ
    IronMike

That's okay @Leonard_Jansen. I'l be back early 2015 and ready to swim for 24 hours.