Post-Op Recovery Time

SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
I am just out of hospital after having an inguinal hernia repaired. Just wondering if any swimmers on here have had a similar procedure and how long it took them to come back from it?

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I've had two surgeries for that; my entire ab area is wire mesh now. (I asked for the 6-pack shaped mesh, but that cost extra.)
    Anyhow, it took me 2 weeks after each before I got in the pool (looked kinda scary) and about a month before I was back to normal yardage.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    Thanks Mike, that wouldn't be too bad at all.

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    @SuirThing, I decided today we'd do a long pool set together before xmas! Get recovering! :D

loneswimmer.com

@SuirThing, I decided today we'd do a long pool set together before xmas! Get recovering! :D

@loneswimmer
    as I had no input into this decision of yours, I will expect to get a great deal of say regarding what constitutes "a long pool set" (ref. my signature below)

I seem to recall meeting you at the pool one day where I was quite pleased with my previous seven days training which had been my biggest week to date, only for you to inform of your total for that session (which was bigger)

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I'll break you in easily. Emphasis on the break. ;) Long pool sets start at four hours.

loneswimmer.com

Long pool sets start at four hours.

Naw ....

stitches came out today .... not as much relief as i had hoped for

IronMike wrote:
    it took me 2 weeks after each before I got in the pool (looked kinda scary) and about a month before I was back to normal yardage.

@IronMike
    got in for the first time today (i'd say it wasn't a pretty sight .... )
    is that a month after you first got back in, to get back to normal yardage ?
    or two weeks to get in, plus another two weeks to get back to normal ?

i can tell you, normal yardage seems a long way away right now

and as for @loneswimmer and our four hour .... i'll get back to you before Christmas .... i'm just not committing to THIS Christmas

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    It was a month of swimming! And that after laparoscopic. If you had actual ab surgery, probably more.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams