Guide to Swimming the Gibraltar Straits (revised)

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited May 2016 in General Discussion
Here is Nick Adams' revised "No BS Guide" to swimming the Straits of Gibraltar. The revised edition corrects a few typos in the first edition, and includes a better explanation of why it's effectively a 11/12 km swim rather than the 14.4km quoted distance.

Nick has compiled it in a nicely formatted PDF document, which you can download HERE.

To avoid confusion, the previous thread with the first edition has been deleted.

LeadhyenampfmarkNeilEugenedccliff

Comments

• torgormantorgorman Member
    edited October 2013
    Turns out I have to be in Italy at the end of June for a wedding. Since I am coming from Australia, I am keen to tie in a swim with my trip - Gibraltar is high on my list to do, but it's full for 2014. Does anyone has a slot they are now planning on not using that I can sweet talk them out of? Or any other recommendations of a big swim I can do? Planning on finishing the Triple Crown in September and love doing anything epic. Capri-Napoli 36km have not yet set their dates, thats the only swim I am aware of around that time. Would love any reco's, input or a Gibraltar slot if anyone has one! Many thanks! :)
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    Some suggestions from my neck of the woods. Italy to UK / Ireland is probably just as accessible as Italy to Gibraltar.

• Round Jersey or Jersey to France. They might also be full by now for 2014 though.

• Arrange a 2-way Windermere (21 miles) in the English Lake District. (I arranged mine with Chillswim and was able to choose the date I wanted to swim).

• BLDSA Champion of Champions 17th June in Dover Harbour: 5 miles/3 miles/ 1 mile in quick succession.

• BLDSA Torbay 8 miles on 5th July (maybe not known internationally as an epic swim, but the swim is similar in distance to the Gibraltar Strait).

• Ned’s torture camp in Cork from 11th-20th July!
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    @torgorman, Capri is on my to do list as well. I understand that they only have few slots for amateurs like us: http://www.caprinapoli.com/web/?page_id=123&lang=en. It will be held on a different day than the FINA race - it was June last yerra, so you might be lucky what the timing concerns.
    If you stop-over in Dubai, we can go for a long swim; beautiful trainings ground here (except during the jelly season).
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Tori,
    The ACNEG does allow for 2, 3 and 4-way swimming in a line across the Strait. Oliver, Jen, Jamie and I did a 4-way across the Strait back in May 2012, so I am sure you could locate the swimmers who are crossing and see if you can find someone who would be interested in lowering the cost involved since you would have more than one swimmer. The individual cost for a multiple swimmer crossing was pretty low compared to a solo. I would think this shouldn't be too difficult, since you know the exact timeline you are going to be there!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    Wow didn't realize that Gibraltar books out that quickly - the guide linked in this thread mentions that the booking window starts at Dec 1 the year before but clearly that cannot be correct...

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• I am also looking for a slot for Gibraltar in 2014. I emailed earlier this year and received a mail back saying the lists would be competed in November and to try back then. It seemed that 2014 was likely full and that we would be looking at a 2015 earliest date.

I like the idea of sharing a swim and the costs if there's anyone booked. I'm a 3kmph swimmer and pretty inexperienced at longer distances.

Seeing as I'm hijacking torgormans thread I will of course give first dibs to him for his time slot or if my swim times were similar join in a 2,3,4 person swim.

Thanks
  • Thanks so much everyone for your responses. I was also surprised it was booked out until 2015 @dc_in_sf! Thanks also Darren - I'm keen to do a multiple people crossing if anyone has a slot that my speed would fit into (3km/hr) if anyone does want to share the costs.

In terms of the Capri- Napoli swim, the non FINA race looks like the last weekend of June or first week of July but the committee can't confirm yet as authorities haven't cleared it. Will post up when I find out those dates.

@Inthepocket, will let you know if ere are multiple spots anywhere :)
  • MandaiMandai Charter Member
    This organizer seems to be still offering Gibraltar in 2014.
    http://www.nedaelmon.com/en/Travessies/Detalls/52
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @Mandai, thanks for the link to Neda el Mon. Lots of possibilities there.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• @Mandai - thanks for this - it doesn't work with my dates unfortunately - but hopefully it does for you @ironmike! I am still looking for a June spot!
  • Thank you for the link. cheers
  • Thank you for posting this guide.
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber
    On the 4th page, it says no ACNEG medical form exists. It does now!
    See:
    http://www.acneg.com/acneg ingles/medical formm 2014.pdf
  • Lynnkub wrote:
    On the 4th page, it says no ACNEG medical form exists. It does now!
    See:
    http://www.acneg.com/acneg ingles/medical formm 2014.pdf

I also noticed this :)
    I wonder how strictly they review the forms submitted.

• johnyGjohnyG Dublin Ireland Member
    anybody wants to swim the Gibraltar with me? i have a spot on the 1 may...we can share the costs.so lets make history.let me know and we can chat and see what can be done.
    GlobalSwimmer
    im swimming on the 1st may...anybody interested? im averaging 4km\h in open water
  • @johnyG ,I would love to join up with a group for Gibraltar , but 4kmh is too fast for me I'm afraid !
    What are you averaging in ow? Kevin will you be ok on the 1st of May? Send me an email on platinumi22@yahoo.co.uk
  • morecircusmorecircus San FranciscoGuest
    edited November 2014
    Anyone want to swim Gibraltal with me? I swim 2.3 mile\hour approximately in Long Course meters swim pool solo pacing myself during recreational Adult Lap swim. My 1500 meter Masters approximate pool time is 21minutes. I swam NYC Manhatten Marathon is 9hours 16", Catalina Channel 12hr. 20", English Channel 14hr. 30." email: morecircus@yahoo.com

• This guide is fantastic! @evmo, are there other no bull guides like this?
  • if you don't fill out the medical forms one can not swim , I thought Rafael had received mine but he didn't. Had to frantically have them faxed to him, though he was willing to arrange a MD appointment in Tarifa for me
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2016
    Leadhyena wrote: »
    This guide is fantastic! @evmo, are there other no bull guides like this?
    Here's another one by @Nickthefish11:

No Bullshit Guides: Corsica to Sardinia Swim

And Dave Van Mouwerik put together this "Roadmap" for the 12.4-mile Anacapa Island swim in the Santa Barbara Channel:

http://santabarbarachannelswim.org/anacapa-roadmap

I'm not aware of any others, but obviously these are really useful documents. Any volunteers? We'd be happy to publish them here...
    Leadhyena
  • Tsugaru would be a great one... the google research I did on it is rather confusing.
  • Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member
    This is FANTASTIC! Thank you Nick!! I've asked to swim this June next year so your timing is perfect!!
    edited May 2016
    > No Bullshit Guides: Corsica to Sardinia Swim

OK, this is quite simply awesome.

@evmo, Seems the links to the Gibraltar guide and the No BS Corsica one are not working any longer. Can you advise where to find them?

(FWIW, I searched through MSF but couldn't find any working links. Same with Google which kept pointing me back to this thread.)

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Links fixed above, and copied here for convenience:

IronMikemysterybobnabilrad
    edited May 2016

evmo said:
    Links fixed above, and copied here for convenience:

You rock! Saving to my Google drive now. ;)

• Hi, I am new to this forum and I am swimming Gibraltar Straits in the week of June the 23rd. I have tried to download the BS Gibraltar but it seems that the link do not work now. Any ideas on how can I get a copy? Thanks and regards

@Combilin, did you try @evmo's link only a couple above? I just tried it and it worked.

• It didn´t work a few hours ago but it does now. Thank-You IrpnMike and Evmo

• JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

Both links work fine now....I'm interested in Gibraltar for next year. Thanks for sending along the info.

• I finally did the swim the 7th. of July, 2016. After a few days with strong winds of Levante, the wind ceased on the 7th. and we were ready to go at 12:00. From the island of the torch light in Tarifa to Punta Cires in Morocco in 3 hours and 57 minutes. Really enjoyed every minute of the swim, despite strong currents leading to Gibraltar in the first hour and a big storm with thunderbolt and lighting during the 2nd.

IronMike
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

I emailed in 2015 for 2016. I got a reply in 2016 after repeat inquiry to be told 2017 is full but I could book for 2018. But I still need to go back and resend what I sent in 2015, along with more information. Like a copy of my passport.

Let me say this clearly:

What the fuck?

Over-priced and badly organised.

IronMikeDanSimonelliHelbe

loneswimmer.com

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

I know a few guys who have swum Gibraltar (all of them with a wetsuit), and they are happy with the organization. But we are all Spanish... :D I'm ashamed to say that the "mañana, mañana" cliché is quite right, so it is probably badly organized.
    And highly over-prized, taking into account that the minimum wage in Spain is about 750 Eur/month.

Solo
  • Feckin brilliant. This is the one on my list. I may not be able for the EC, who knows, but this I can do I reckon. I'm thinking 2018 or 2019. I need more speed though. 3km/hr is top speed for me over a long distance.

edited December 2016

DublinSwimmer said:
    Feckin brilliant. This is the one on my list. I may not be able for the EC, who knows, but this I can do I reckon. I'm thinking 2018 or 2019. I need more speed though. 3km/hr is top speed for me over a long distance.

Contact ACNEG early. I contacted them May 2016 for an Aug 2018 crossing and was told I would be on the waiting list for 2018. It was only in October this year that I was told I could cross in Aug 2018. :O

DublinSwimmer

• DublinSwimmerDublinSwimmer Member
    edited December 2016

Realistically, how tough a swim is it? I can do 5km now.

How long might you need to spend over there? I'm thinking of time off work and so on. I've been to Tarifa a couple of times, I like it as a town.

edited December 2016

DublinSwimmer said:
    Realistically, how tough a swim is it? I can do 5km now.

How long might you need to spend over there? I'm thinking of time off work and so on. I've been to Tarifa a couple of times, I like it as a town.

I think most spend a week there.

• I contacted by email them 3 times 3 years ago and never got a response, it kinda put me off... I have got a pal who swam it with his father in a 2 man relay (dad was @70 at the time!) and they really enjoyed it.

My gut feeling tells me even if they confirm a booking that it would be a stressful experience until you actually walk into the water.

What might be cool would be for MSF to block book a full week and aim for a crossing a day. I'd turn up for sure.

• JbetleyJbetley UKMember
    edited December 2016

He does his best to get people away, but the problem with that part of the world is that it is pretty windy the majority of the time. Ideally people swim when the wind shifts to blow out of the west, in concert with the current, otherwise swimming is very hard going. We spent a week there last year, and were lucky enough to go on the only decent day, though other swimmers went the day before in less pleasant conditions.

All described in somewhat tedious detail here:

swimsequence.wordpress.com/2015/05/21/the-strait-of-gibraltar-swimming-to-africa/

DublinSwimmer
  • Tracy_ClarkTracy_Clark Norwich, United Kingdom (from Auckland, New Zealand)Member

Once you are in Tarifa...Rafael and his team really look after you. Getting a slot is difficult for sure. Roger Finch and I had both been trying to get a slot...me for two years and Roger for three so we teamed up. Do not underestimate this swim. Tarifa is the windsurfing capital of Europe. We finally got a day. We got really strong currents and twice only swam about 500m in an hour. Another group went out in the morning (same timenad us) and the afternoon and neither sadly made it. Here's an article I wrote about our experience. I learnt a lot from this experience...this swim made me a tougher swimmer mentally that's for sure!!! http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2015/06/battling-mind-game.html?m=1

Travel tip: visit Ronda when you're there!!

DublinSwimmerIronMike
  • I'd like some more information on this swim and the organization that runs it. I've seen a lot of conflicting information. The original guide says they start taking bookings in December for the next year, yet now it seems one has to ask for further out years. I've also seen, in an article, that you now must swim with a group.

I would like to do this swim, but don't know how to go about getting started. Did anyone do this swim this past year, or have any newer information?

• I did get that email this morning. I'm just confused as I've seen a lot of references to doing it by teams because of how hard it can be to get the timing right and there are a lot of people who want to attempt it.

• brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

Today I saw this notice in the ACNEG website, which may be of interest to anyone who has lately contacted them (or want to do it) - I think it's been there since last September:

ACNEG-notice

edited January 2018

That warning's been there for many, many months now. I first saw it in March 2017 and (re)contacted them, asking them if I'm still good for a summer 2018 crossing. No answer.

I've moved on...

• It's defo time for another organization to step in. While I understand the original head has since died and his daughter was to take the reins , it IS an iconic swim, it IS part of the O7 and there needs to be consistent and reliable communication to those wishing to swim the Gib Strait. If ACNEG can't do it.. someone else surely should be able to either start their own organization or fill in.
    JustSwim
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Thanks to Niek for providing a recent (Sept 2017) email from Laura, the new ACNEG coordinator, which may be of interest:

Dear [redacted],

You must to be in the wait list, 2018 is already full, if you want to have options on next years, please complete next steps:

• Read all rules on www.acneg.com http://www.acneg.com/
    • Download and complete the application form and send it to this email: please put the name or names (no more than 4 swimmers) of swimmers, dates that do you prefer or if is indifferent and you want a free date (remember season is April to October) and so important in comments you speed average in km/h.
    • When your turns come i will write you with more information about dates and all documents i need, until this moment i don't gonna need anything more.

Have in mind that people since two year are waiting, the demand grows but the conditions in the strait are the same, few possibilities and a lot of swimmers, we work for give the opportunity to all but all we loves this sport knows how works. All cancelations have to be repositioned on the next year.

Kind Regards .

Laura Gutiérrez Díaz
    (Coordinadora)

www.acneg.com
    acneg (at) acneg.com

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

After me reading the NoBS,
    Is there someone interested in Gibraltar, to team with me, for 2019?
    From what i read there are financial benefits with multiple registration in a slot, along meeting new people :)

• hello,
    i'm looking for any info about corsica to sardinia (this way, so starting from bonifacio)
    thanks
    manu