Non-swimming cold acclimatization

edited November 2012 in General Discussion

Spent 4+ hours on Sunday morning in Ontario Canada running a marathon. 38 degrees at the start, 40 at the finish. I may have won the prize for least dressed runner. Note the smarter bears in the background in their coats and hats. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but she thought that already.

Other than swimming, what do you do for cold acclimatization?

Jon
Tagged:

Comments

• Keep the windows open in my bedroom overnight and turning off the heater in the house. Additionally, blasting the AC in the car and having the windows down in the dead of winter helps too! There is no substitute for cold water immersion however and being able to acclimate with time and distance is the key ingredient if feasible!
  • Cold showers, cold baths, and generally underdressing for the weather - older ladies stop me at the grocery store and tell me that I need to wear more than a tank top and shorts this time of year! I also embrace the advice of the CSA that training in water less that 55 degrees is unnecessary and not advised. Our lake and river is currently low 50's - and I will just do short swims at that temp.
  • When I have questions about cold adaption I go to this article:

Acclimatization to Cold in Humans - National Aeronautics and
    Space Administration

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19890013690_1989013690.pdf
  • As swimmers who are forced to swim in less than 55F, since it's below that most of the year, most Irish Channel swimmers think that CSA advice is wrong. Swimming in cold is very valuable for confidence in the channel. It's about 50f now and I'm still doing an hour.

Thanks for the link Bob. I have a meta-analysis that is very valuable but they took the original link on the Finnish Arctic Institute down.