Heart Rate monitors and swimming

IronMikeIronMike KyrgyzstanCharter Member
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Anyone out there use a heart rate monitor while swimming? More questions:

What model do you use?
How do you design your training around the HR monitor?
Do you wear it while doing group workouts, like with a masters group?
Do you wear it in open water?
How did you find your (swim) max heart rate?

I remember reading somewhere about a pro triathlete whose coach designs his training week by week solely based on his heart rate during the previous week's training. And apparently this triathlete does really well in races.
Tagged:

Comments

• I tried it with a cheap one but couldn't get it to stay on .... resistance from the water kept causing it to roll back, especially when pushing off the wall

triathlete wearing a wetsuit wouldn't have this problem
    What would I know, never been further than 10k ....
  • WaterGirlWaterGirl Charter Member
    I have a Polar heart rate monitor. Sometimes it works in the water, sometimes not. My best guess is that it works when the water temp is at or below 82F.

I've heard that the Finis hrm is the only one that works reliably in the water. (Hard to imagine a reliable Finis electronic product, but there you have it.) That one doesn't save any data, it just audibly tells you your heart rate however often you tell it to.

I thought the information I got from wearing the hrm was interesting. For example, on days when I'm swimming badly (slowly), my heart rate isn't any lower.

You'd have to be really consistent technique-wise to be able to use it the same way runners and cyclists use it.