Open Water Swimming travel insurance

nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
edited March 2019 in General Discussion
I am going to Mallorca in April for the Swim Trek Long Distance Training week. They require an insurance policy that specifically covers open water swimming. I have contacted several agencies, including the one listed on Open Waterpedia, and have had no luck. I also spoke with a representative of Swim Trek and she had given me the name of 2 agencies in US that prior US citizens had used, and I contacted them and was told that they could not cover open water swimming overseas. If any forum members from the US have participated in a Swim Trek week, and have purchased insurance, could you please refer me to an agency for that? Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    I have just found the insurer and will pass this on to anyone who may need it:

http://www.mnui.com/products.asp?prod=atlas

I spoke with Zane Beaty, Indianiapolis Ind., phone 317-221-8047. He is very familiar with Swim Trek and the policy is very reasonable. If anyone would like further infromation, I can pass it on as I receive it from him.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Do they require insurance in case of death or just proof of medical insurance? Does your medical insurance and/or your life insurance not cover accidental death? Open water swimming, whenever I look up "extreme sports" doesn't fall under that rubric. Interesting...

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    Swim Trek requires proof of Comprehensive Travel Insurance "which must cover you against medical and personal accident risks (to include repatriation costs, air ambulance, and helicopter rescue costs)". I spoke with several insurance companies and each considered open water swimming an extreme sport. I honestly do not know if my current insurance of any type covers this - but the policy that I am going to purchase was so reasonable, and Swim Trek is familiar with this company and I feel good knowing that I can provide the proper paperwork when I arrive in Mallorca..
  • nvr2late wrote:
    I have just found the insurer and will pass this on to anyone who may need it:

http://www.mnui.com/products.asp?prod=atlas

I spoke with Zane Beaty, Indianiapolis Ind., phone 317-221-8047. He is very familiar with Swim Trek and the policy is very reasonable. If anyone would like further infromation, I can pass it on as I receive it from him.
    Thanks! This is very useful information. I will contact Zane, as I have in mind a SwimTrek venture one of these years.

• You could become a member of your countries freediving association. In the Uk, the policy covers swimming to a basic level of cover as well as third party cover.