Low Carb/Keto adapted swimming

13»

Comments

• Well done @MvG. Good to hear it went well.

My next "experiment" (well, besides the 1.5mile 'sprint' this Saturday) will be a 10 mile 'race' in a couple months (mostly a fun relay event, but some do it solo), in which I want to pick up the pace from last year and test my limits and the idea about possibly needing carbs at more intense levels of exertion.

:-)
  • @MvG Thanks for sharing that... One of the other supposed advantages of ketosis is meant to be a quicker recovery due to reduced inflammation. This is meant to be advantageous in training but I was wondering if you noticed if you felt any different the next day or 2 after the swim?

I would also suggest getting a blood meter for testing... I've heard it gives a far more accurate reading of your ketone levels...
  • MvGMvG Member
    @sharkbaitza: now that you mention it, yes, I did feel remarkably good the days after. While muscles and tendons hurt a bit at the end of and right after the race, I was completely fine the days after, which I thought was all the more remarkable given the little swimming I had done before. I gave the weighttraining credit for the quick recovery, but perhaps it was due to ketosis. More experimenting needed.
  • helengheleng Member
    Update: After 9 weeks on a keto diet I was loosing weight (at a time when I should really have been putting it on) and despite my best efforts I was merely able to maintain my weight for brief periods.
    After a couple of weekends in Dover harbour where I had to get out because I was getting too cold, I made the decision to revert back to my former diet. After 3.5weeks back on carbs I have gained 8pounds which has helped massively with my cold tolerance (the increased water temperatures have also helped :-) ). However I am still almost 1 stone lighter than I was for my EC solo in 2012, so I am on a mission to gain a bit more before Catalina in October ...happy days!!

Review: I was very happy with the LCHF diet, I had less energy fluctuations throughout the day, my GI distress was eradicated, I didn't get grumpy if I missed a meal time and I generally felt really well on it. For this reason I was very disappointed to have to quit, but I have learned a lot in the process, and will probably give it another go when weight gain isn't so crucial.

Next steps: Because of the GI distress the I have experienced on previous swims using Maxim & Maxi, I still plan to do my next big swim using SuperStarch. I am keen to find out more about keto-adaptation without nutritional ketosis, because as I understand, ultimately in a swim of 34km, the body will run out of glycogen - so facilitating the fat burning process can only help.
  • heleng said:

I am keen to find out more about keto-adaptation without nutritional ketosis, because as I understand, ultimately in a swim of 34km, the body will run out of glycogen - so facilitating the fat burning process can only help.

My best guess on this would be something along the lines of sticking to a high carb diet till you have gained the wait you need to stay warm and then about a week before the event, go very low carb to get into ketosis. You will lose a few kg's but the initial loss will be mainly water so it shouldn't reduce the bioprene too much. I would definitely practice this 1st though..

Just a note on superstarch... If you are using it, don't mix it with any glucose based drinks... I've heard biosteel is ok though...

• loneswimmerloneswimmer Admin
    edited June 24
    Ok, let me ask one simple question and what I think is the most important and relevant question for most of us who aren't pursuing LCHF:

How worthwhile is it to use superstarch as primary feed for someone who is not keto-adapted?

Assume I eat normally (my normal, lots of carbs), including up to the previous day to the swim.

• Well, there are a few benefits that valid for both keto-adapted and high carb athletes.

You would not need to feed as often...
    You would have much less if any GI distress

I honestly don’t know whether as a non-fat adapted athlete, you would get a fat-burning benefit. There is definitely an adaption period to be able to burn fat or rather for your body to see the ketones as fuel. But obviously there is a lot of research still to be done on this. Prof Tim Noakes in South Africa is doing some research high fat v high carbs in ultra marathon runners in SA but I don’t know if this includes supplements such as Ucan.

But it is something you would need to test yourself... Everyone is different...

There is another aspect that will need to be explored. What would the psychological effect be on swimmers if you are feeding every 2-3 hours instead of every 30min. I’m referring to the encouragement and interaction between the swimmer and the support team and how the change in that dynamic would influence your mental state.
  • evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin

Ok, let me ask one simple question and what I think is the most important and relevant question for most of us who aren't pursuing LCHF:

How worthwhile is it to use superstarch as primary feed for someone who is not keto-adapted?

I asked this very question in a different thread -- here was @DanSimonelli's thoughtful response:

http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/comment/12112#Comment_12112
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
    edited July 17
    IronMike said:

So, the blood tests came back. Prior, I made no comments to my doc about my diet (I've found that most MDs are extremely ignorant on nutrition/diet). When she read off my cholesterol (190) she applauded me, because it's lower than my previous reading from 5 years ago (dropped about 30 points). My HDL was high (70's). My LDL was low (30's). My triglycerides were nice and low.

Boy was I wrong. That's what I get for trying to remember the numbers from memory (my memory's about as long as my....little finger), instead of waiting till I got home and reading off the paperwork.

But today I was back at the doc's, and she said she had my 2010 numbers in the computer, along with the 2012 numbers, so I had her write them down. And I got the 2014 numbers in front of me now.

So, here they are. In 2010 I was about a year, year and a half "out" of being a pescovegetarian and eating meat. In 2013 I started LCHF:

(TC=total cholesterol; TG: triglycerides; HDL: good cholesterol; LDL: bad)

2010:
    TC: 227
    TG: 125
    HDL: 54 (w00t!)
    LDL: 152 (yuck)

2012:
    TC: 230
    TG: 101 (getting better)
    HDL: 55
    LDL: 154 (oy!)

2014 (after about a year of LCHF):
    TC: 198 (w00t!)