Oceans Seven in a year?

MandaiMandai Charter Member
edited April 2013 in General Discussion
With Anna-Carin Nordin just crossing the Cook St and one swim short of the big 7, I was wondering when are we going to see a swimmer to do them all in one year?
Stephen has lead the way and now we see a bunch of great swimmers near that goal. Some aim to do it with a clean sheet - i.e. 7 successful swims in 7 attempts - and surely future swimmers will try to "outdo" those past achievements in one way or the other. Like doing it in one year...any thoughts on how difficult it would be (assuming no budget constraints...)?
Tagged:

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    If I had a million dollars and didn't have to work.... And still, you'd have to depend on luck an awful lot. Some people wait all summer for a good day to swim many of those on the list. There is such a relatively short window for a few of those swims that you'd literally have to be able to camp out somewhere in the middle and then be there in a few hours if the weather was a go. I also think your arms might fall off.....
    JenABigGuppy412
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I'm sure if someone got sufficient sponsorship (or somehow had the financial means) and had the talent, they could do all seven in a year.

I don't want to say it would be impossible, but it would be hard to fathom someone having a clean sheet.
    BigGuppy412
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    edited April 2013
    Well, aside from the monetary aspect and a whole lot of luck, let's break this beast down month by month:

January
    February
    March Cook Strait
    April
    May Strait of Gibraltar
    June
    Early-July Tsugaru Channel
    Late-July Catalina Channel
    Late-August North Channel
    Mid-September English Channel
    October
    November Molokai Channel
    December

The year would start off with the Cook Strait being done in February or March, with time to relax before the Strait of Gibraltar in early May. The Tsugaru Channel and the Catalina Channel could be pulled off in July. The hardest push in the grouping would be the North Channel and English Channel in back to back months. If you are lucky enough to have good weather for those two, then you would have a nice break before having to pull off the mighty Molokai Channel in November, or even in December. This would be my best guess as to how someone could pull off the 'Oceans Seven' in one calendar year.

Good Luck :-c
    DanSimonelli

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• HaydnHaydn Member
    Surely the quickest way to do them would be to start at the toughest. The clock would start ticking from that swim. If it were the north channel, you could do the EC the following week. Surely from there it would be better to quickly knock off the easier swims. Then you have time to wait for the other swims that have awkward tides or short windows.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Don't you have to have done the EC before you can do the North Channel? At least, that's what I read in H2Open.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• HaydnHaydn Member
    Oh! Still, get them done first and the rest will follow.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Apparently Beth French will attempt to do all 7 in one year in 2016.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I am 3 swims.into my bid for oceans7 in a year. The stunning is the easy but. Logistics are a nightmare and getting all associations on board had been the biggest sticking point to date.

SoloChristchurch2006IronMiketimsrootjohnyG
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

Wow @bethfrench! Can you give us some swim reports, or commentary on your journey?

IronMikeChrisgreene