Bay area near Union Square?

JonMLJonML Member
edited April 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hi all,

I'll be in the SF Bay area next week. Is there OW swimming to be had anywhere near Union Square?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• evmoevmo San FranciscoAdmin
    edited April 2013
    1. Aquatic Park.
    2. Aquatic Park.
    3. Aquatic Park.
    4. Private chartered swim in the bay with Gary Emich or Swim Art.
    5. Baker Beach / China Beach (NW edge of the city, outside the Golden Gate).
    6. Ocean Beach
    7. Swim to Farallons.

Just kidding on #7.

Seriously, though, unless you're experienced with the SF Bay, just go to Aquatic Park, or charter a private swim.
  • NiekNiek Member
    edited April 2013
    Gashouse Cove - Alcatraz and back?
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
    edited April 2013
    @Niek, how do you plan on getting to Alcatraz and back? It's a major shipping channel. See #4 above.

As for Gashouse Cove, yes, that's part of the general Aquatic Park vicinity. Wouldn't recommend it unless already familiar with AP swimming. Keep in mind the OP.
  • NiekNiek Member
    edited April 2013

how do you plan on getting to Alcatraz and back?

Swimming.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
    edited April 2013
    @Niek, good luck with that. I'm sure the Coast Guard will be sympathetic to your efforts.

Where are you from again? The Netherlands? Thanks for the helpful info.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    Aquatic Park it is. :) Looks a bit cold, but do-able.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    You'll love it!!! You can laugh at the people on Segway tours while you swim
  • heartheart Member
    Jon, if you want to come out to Aquatic Park over the weekend for a few loops, message me.
  • trouttrout Member
    edited April 2013
    If you're going outside the marked swimming area, get a boat to follow beside you. I had a friend, a former professional marathon swimmer, who trained alone in the bay and lost both of his legs when a power boat ran him over. It also ended his swimming career.
  • JonMLJonML Member
    I ended up swimming briefly (1,000 yards, about 20 minutes) at Aquatic Park. Water temp, 53. A bit chilly for a boy who hasn't been in open water since October. But fun and thanks for the advice, everyone.