Traveling for a Swim and Airport Security

timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
edited April 2013 in Beginner Questions
I'm traveling this weekend for a swim, and I'm a bit concerned about getting some of my stuff through airport security. It's a short weekend, and only a 5k swim, so I'm not planning on checking a bag. But, I would like to bring a bottle of carbo pro powder in a bottle, and some recoverite for after the swim. How worked up about all of that will security get? Everything else, I think I should be able to get through without any hassle, but these bottles, I'm less sure about.
Tagged:

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    I've never had any problems with powdered products.
    Gels + 1/2 dozen stainless steel bottles = bag search.

I always opt out of the full body scanner... its all a bunch of security theater bullshit anyway.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    I've never had any problems with powdered products.
    Gels + 1/2 dozen stainless steel bottles = bag search.

I always opt out of the full body scanner... its all a bunch of security theater bullshit anyway.

My bottles are plastic, and I won't be traveling with more than 3, so it sounds like I'll be okay.

Thanks.

• They can test powders and such so there's no need to worry unless you're trying to smuggle.
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    I've been pulled aside before because apparently 4 pairs of goggles still in their cases looks suspicious in the x-ray scanner :)
  • WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    I pack the CarboPro in ziploc bags and put it them the tray when I go thru security. I set them right on top so it's obvious I'm not trying to hide anything. I've been asked about it, but I've never had a problem.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
  • firebahfirebah Charter Member
    Never had an issue with my feeding powders. The 3-1-1 carry on rules are for liquids. Powdered drinks/supplements/whey etc. are listed as OK to carry on on the TSA website.
    firebah wrote:
    Never had an issue with my feeding powders. The 3-1-1 carry on rules are for liquids. Powdered drinks/supplements/whey etc. are listed as OK to carry on on the TSA website.

Good deal. I didn't have any trouble getting through this weekend, thankfully.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    Do people just buy Vaseline at their destination? There's no way you could get it through security.
    bobswims wrote:
    Do people just buy Vaseline at their destination? There's no way you could get it through security.

Wear it

bobswims wrote:

I borrowed some from a guy who either brought a small container with him, or bought it there. I bought sunscreen after I had traveled. For a longer swim, I'd probably check a bag and not have as much to worry about.
    Well I’m unpacking my Speedo carry-on bag and I realized that I had a 10oz tin of Bag Balm and a big tube of Banna Boat spf 100 in the side pocket.

#TSAPhoenixStrikesOut #SecurityTheater

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    edited May 2013
    I've taken carry on luggage with big Vaseline before, but they made me eat it all before going through.
    My little OW backpack always gets poked and prodded, and they don't care that there's tubes of zinc, eye drops and a really phallic looking thermometer in it. I check luggage when I'm taking all those little baggies of white powder.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    I expected horrors to occur when I flew into Ft. Lauderdale with zinc oxide, lanolin, vaseline, Vitargo powder, and ten Nalgene bottles, so I checked luggage and mumbled my internal mantra, This is not meth.
  • DougMcCDougMcC Member
    We ran into an unexpected problem a couple of years ago. I was so focused on making sure we didn't have any liquids that I didn't think about the feeding basket stick we were carrying. My kids had made it out of a paint roller extension pole, which worked beautifully, BTW, but United Airlines got a little unglued over it possibly being a weapon. We were headed to Tampa and time was going to be tight enough that I wasn't sure we would see a Home Depot, so I ended up paying a $25 fee to send a $5 pole through luggage. After the swim, we left it in the hotel room instead of paying to bring it home.