Dry land training

SuirThingSuirThing Member
edited May 2013 in Beginner Questions
Just wondering if anybody on here has tried kettle bell workouts as part of their dry land regime?
Did you get any benefits from it?

What other strength and conditioning methods do distance swimmers use?
I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

Comments

• I've never used kettle bells, but I would think that one could easily get injured with them.

I do shoulder strengthening exercises with a therapeutic band a few times a week, like these: http://gymnasticsinjuries.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/shoulderexercises1.gif
    Keeps my shoulders relatively pain free, especially when I'm adding yardage or dropping times.

I also do some simple Yoga stretches most nights before going to bed, I feel they stretch my back and help me sleep. They're pretty easy. I've only been to a handful of classes over the years so I'm no expert. To be honest 8 of the 9 poses I do I learned on Nintendo's Wii Fit game.

Here's the order:
    Palm Tree
    Sun Salutation
    Tree
    Triangle
    Warrior
    Downward Facing Dog
    Cobra
    Cat/Cow (not on Wii)
    Spinal Twist

It usually takes me about 10 minutes.
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
    I used to lift more, and when I did, I used the Swimming Anatomy and Core Performance books to find the exercises to do for the muscles I need work on. Mostly core stuff.
  • AzotterAzotter Member
    I do a lot of Crossfit and we use kettlebells frequently. KBs work your core and hips mostly. I have never had any shoulder injuries with them, or dropped it on my noggin! I suspect if you did not hold it correctly then you could injure yourself. :)
  • Kettle bell classes are now free to anyone taking a yearly subscription to our local pool so I decided to give it a go. Nobody else showed up to the class that I attended so I ended up with 1 to 1 tuition and after 30 minutes I was in bits. A real eye opener in terms of how poor my strength and conditioning is, it would be fair to say that stairs were agony for the first two days. I think I will keep up this class for now, and see does my swimming benefit.
    I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....
  • gnome4766gnome4766 Member
    edited June 2013
    Let us know SuirThing. I'd be interested with the results.