Alert: Craig Lenning & Sarah Thomas were spotted entering the water at Incline Village Lake Tahoe

Veteren marathon swimmers Craig Lenning (Triple Crown, North Channel, Tsugaru Strait, Cook Strait, @uss_lenning) and Sarah Thomas (Triple Crown, SCAR, @ssthomas) were spotted entering the water in a standard textile swim suits, cap and goggles at Incline Village, approximately 4:30 PM Pacific Time 7/18/13. Additionally support crews were observed. There has been some speculation that in 10 or 11 hours a flip turn may occur.

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Translation: Lake Tahoe two-way attempt. Unprecedented in traditional marathon swimming attire. Done once in a wetsuit by @Jamie Patrick (and kudos to that).

SPOT tracker? Current water temp?
  • No SPOT tracker but I will try to give updates from there Facebook feeds. Current water temps around 18C
  • edited July 2013
    @ssthomas first lap completed in about eleven hours and thirty eight minutes, landed at Camp Richardson. Ate Oreos banana and carrots re-entered the water and started swimming back. Craig is a little behind her.
  • Sarah has 13-miles to go via @jamie (10:40 EST, 7:40 PST) Awaiting update on Craig's status... Jamie sent a beautiful video of Sarah swimming (with some awesome background music of course) - she's looking great!!
    www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
  • UPDATE:
    From May Lenning-
    "About 30-miles in. Sarah is a mile or so ahead."
    -Sarah around 12-miles out, Craig about 13-miles out; give or take...
    www.darren-miller.com
  • UPDATE:
    From @jamie-
    "Sarah about 3K out, Craig about 5K."
    Update as of 3:54 EST, 12:54 PST.
    GO SARAH AND CRAIG!!
    www.darren-miller.com
  • Wow. Great stuff guys. And I got to ask: carrots?
  • well done you two!
  • Sarah's out, first person to ever double Tahoe under English Channel rules! Congrads!
  • A stunning achievement. =D> =D>

I'd have to say, an early front-runner for the 2013 ms.org Solo Swim of the Year.
  • Craig Lenning, Mr. Hook & Boom himself has now finished as well. Once again EC rules all the way although Craig may not have worn a swim cap because it was likely too warm for him. Way to go guys & gals!
  • edited July 2013
    By EC rules you have no obligation of wearing a cap.
    Only rule is: wearing of only 1 latex or silicon cap is allowed.
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • Thanks all. Not sure on my official time. I was just focused on swimming, no clue when we got in or out, but my first lap was 11:38 and rumor has it, I negative split. Craig was only about 10 minutes behind when I turned around and a few hours behind at the end, since Craig slowed up in anticipation of his Bering Straight relay coming up. As a result, he looked a lot better finishing than I did!

And yes, @loneswimmer.... carrots. Who knew those would be delicious?! Glad I had them! We learn something new every time!

Perfect conditions, after a choppy start. Still a long day! Our crews were amazing!
  • Congratulations both, awesome swim.
  • Congrats!!
    Training for The Tiburon Mile 2014 and possibly Alcatraz! Also: I'm a seminary student.
  • edited July 2013
    Was at Lake Tahoe for the relays and there were the sort of conditions needed for the swim....(you don't always have low wind speeds in the afternoons)....but swimming at elevation in cool water for that amount of time is incredible...Darrin Conolly from the South End finished a fast solo on the 19th in great conditions....I agree with evmo...this swim(s) should be considered of an historic nature/swim for many reasons...and should have a consideration for solo swim(s) of the year ...congratulations to all three swimmers!!!
    "I never met a shark I didn't like"
  • We went by Darrin on our way out! It was dark and quiet, and then my crew started hooting and hollering. It was fun to know someone else was enjoying the amazing night with us. The conditions were pretty much perfect, after the sun went down anyway. The first 6 hours had a pretty strong headwind that Craig and I both struggled with. After that though, I don't think we could have asked for more. Tahoe is a beautiful lake. I'll be back!
  • what was the total distance in km's for this swim
  • well done
  • Hi All - FYI - I will have a full swim report out soon. It was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced seeing these two amazing people make history. I used a new navigation software that will be fun to show everyone. I can not tell you how honored I feel to have been part of this. Craig and Sarah are two of the toughest people I have ever met. Just and FYI - Sarah covered 3.57 Kilometers her last hour. WOW.. And I never heard one complaint from her in 22 hours. Oh and she negative split the swim. 11hrs 38 mins for her first lap and 10 hrs 47 mins for her second lap. awesome to say the least. Stay tuned for all the details, videos and photos.....
  • That's not entirely true... I do remember complaining that Ryan and @Jamie hadn't caught any fish off the back of the boat. I was in need of some entertainment and had been looking forward to watching them pull out some lake monsters. You really would have thought in 22 hours they would have caught something!
  • edited September 2013
    accidental bump ;-)
  • I must say I do get tired of hearing about Tahoe swims involving wetsuits and fins. It is refreshing to hear of people that take the swim seriously. Congratulations to Sarah and Craig on their double crossing. Having made the swim from Tahoe Keys to Incline it is good to hear of others taking the Tahoe challenge.

• Incredible! Well done, you guys!