Jellyfish are ruling my swims

gnome4766gnome4766 Member
edited July 2013 in Beginner Questions
Currently the size and numbers of lion's mane jellyfish in my bay has become a big problem as I always find myself looking up. I know it ruins my position in the water and leads to me putting in more effort. So how have you overcome your fears of jellyfish?

I know this may sound tame to the ladies and gents who swim in waters that are home to sharks.
Tagged:
miklcct

Comments

• Go to Ned Denison's Cork Distance week, and in 9 days you will be over it!

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• Haha I read a recent article which described him "pretending to eat a jellyfish".
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    @Dawn_Treader, Lion's Mane are rare on the south coast, and the jellies you all encountered last week were unusual for that side of the coast. The Lion's Manes that are troubling gnome4766 are the ferocious beast that make the North Channel such a hurdle when they occur, with a more severe sting and the fact that they can bunch in 100s or 1000s and there are more of them where he lives (also Ireland).

loneswimmer.com

• It was a joke@ Loneswimer! Sounds really terrible though! Poor gnome!! Better to keep the head down and chin tucked in, so you don't get stung in the face, eh?
    Any news on the EC as far as Lion's Mane's go? Was great to meet you and even swim with you a bit on the lovely copper coast! I will never forget it! Thank you!

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• I got stung in the face today and needless to say it was extremely painful both in and out of the water. A seal popped it's head up to say hello so hopefully it has enjoyed a feast on all the jellyfish.

Now I'm thinking I have experienced the worst of it and can keep my head down but some of the jellyfish have tentacles longer than I am tall. Hopefully the sea cools off soon and they stay out of my way. Not looking likely with this Great British heatwave.
  • Here I am in the same situation. Should I buy a book about conquering fears or possibly visit a hypnotherapist? :-?
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member
    This popped up today on Twitter: www.wired.com/2014/06/absurd-creature-of-the-week-lions-mane-jellyfish/
  • That's an interesting article thanks @rosemarymint