Hallucinations Anyone?

Dawn_TreaderDawn_Treader Member
edited August 2013 in General Discussion
I did not see a thread on this subject. If one exists then apologies. I would like to know your non drug enhanced hallucination stories experienced during a swim. Just curious. Were they abstract or based on deep fears or wishes? Were they positive, negative, scary or joyful? Please share and don't be shy. Thanks!
Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

Comments

• I have them mainly due to exhaustion. I've had jellyfish and fish swimming by me after a 5-hour pool swims and I've had all sorts of bizarre stuff (tires floating under me and boats running over me) when I'm out in the open water after 5-6 hours. That said, I have temporal lobe epilepsy that can be triggered when mentally (and physically) exhausted. One of the types of seizures I have are visual and olfactory hallucinations. I've learned from years of having them when things are real and when they are not.

That said, it can get REALLY creepy after a while. I train to deal mentally with the exhaustion (and resulting seizures), but sometimes it gets to be too much and I call it a day earlier than I planned.
  • NiekNiek Member
    edited August 2013
    @rosemarymint Haven't you tried to replace those bad thoughts with nice ones?
    Beautiful fish instead of tires, Merman instead of boat? :)
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I see and hear things quite a bit while I'm swimming, usually way before I'm exhausted - in Dover harbour, I've often 'seen' beautiful galleons moored up by the Premier Inn, and they also appeared while I was swimming Catalina; I saw buildings made of marshmallow while swimming around Jersey; and I was completely convinced that I had heard dolphins during my swim of Windermere - a response to the sound of Colin Hill blowing a whistle to warn me of a buoy which I was about to smack into. I was too busy contemplating the dolphins and went straight into it anyway. I don't think it's hallucination necessarily - I think it's when I'm in a zoned-out state, like the state between sleeping and waking, where the brain pieces together snips of sensory information in quite random ways to make some kind of sense of them. Once the interpretation is in place, it's a bit like those pictures with two images embedded in them - once you've fixed on one you can never see anything else. Either that or I'm going slowly mad.
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USMember
    Never experienced a hallucination but did smell grape jelly for about two hours during end-wet. I thought it was some kind of flower blooming but my kayaker insisted she didn't smell anything.
  • Sometimes after a while if I am in the groove I see phantom arms swimming nearby and am grateful for the company. Clearly I spend a good deal of time swimming solo...
  • mjstaples said:

Never experienced a hallucination but did smell grape jelly for about two hours during end-wet. I thought it was some kind of flower blooming but my kayaker insisted she didn't smell anything.

I find I have a heightened sense of smell when swimming. The lilac growing on the river bank is my favourite, but a nearby barbeque runs it close

What would I know, never been further than 10k ....
  • I swim at the pool very early in the mornings. I often mistake inanimate objects around the pool for people. Sometimes, I freak out a little until I realize what's going on
  • SuirThing said:

I find I have a heightened sense of smell when swimming. The lilac growing on the river bank is my favourite, but a nearby barbeque runs it close

don't know how I forgot, smell of chips from The Old Bridge Take-Away is another one

What would I know, never been further than 10k ....
  • I just had a couple when swimming Catalina yesterday, and it wasn't the bioluminescence! My favorite: My son gave me a good luck ring made of rubber bands, and I put it on my ring finger. I got to the 11th feeding and reach for the drink bottle and do a double take because I don't remember putting the ring on my pinky finger, where it evidently had moved? All through the 5:30-6:00 mark I was convinced that the ring had changed fingers!
  • The most disappointing illusion/misperception was at Tampa, when around Hour 11 I suddenly got very excited at the sight of sand dollars passing underneath me. I'm flying! I'm so fast! I thought. Turns out I wasn't moving at all, was stuck in a countercurrent for an hour and a half, and the sand dollars were floating backwards with the current. :)

And, not a hallucination, but when I swim long workouts in the pool I get irrationally upset at people with fins and toys and can't wait for them to leave the neighboring lanes.
  • ssthomasssthomas Charter Member
    @jendut and @timsroot: I have the same sightings! During open water swims, I frequently think there is someone right next to me because I can swear I see arms moving close by. And during long pool swims, I almost always have to do a few double takes when somehow a chair becomes a person. Glad to know I share my crazy with others!
  • In the line of @heart 's experience with the water causing illusions/misperceptions.

Swimming parallel and relatively the shore at any beach with seaweed and rocks, the waves will cause the swimmer to move in and out, as will the seaweed. the rocks will remain stationary but because you and the seaweed are moving in concert it looks like the rocks are actually moving. Very disconcerting.
    http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer
  • I once had fish singing the old Carnival Cruise Line jingle ("if you could see me now...) towards the end of one of the Key West races. I was a little dehydrated, over-heated, and somewhat out of my find. I had fallen into third place and #4 was pretty far behind. My kayaker gave me a swig of beer for fun. I was pretty much hammered within a few minutes. Great times!
  • Yesterday when I was doing the C3 Swim we had passed under a few bridges in the canal. When we got out in the Atlantic my kayaker rolled and was taking a few minutes to get his stuff back together. I was swimming alone when I had the vision of a bridge up ahead and I was wondering where I was going to pass under it. I couldn't help but think of this thread when I realized I was in the ocean and there couldn't be any bridges coming up. I had thought this thread was kind of silly before that experience.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    You don't have much luck with kayakers Franco!!!
    I thought I saw monkeys in the trees during EndWet
  • He was good. Just a brief setback.

Monkeys in the trees would have scared me.
  • When I was swimming from the Farallons to San Francisco I had an out of body experience. I was sitting in the boat watching myself swim in the water. I was near the end of hypothermia and had a body temp, of 92 degrees. Unfortunately I had 3 miles to go and the tide had turned in my favor but I was too far gone at that time. Close but no cigar.