Open Water Swimming meccas

evmoevmo Admin
edited December 2013 in Locations & Networking
Interesting post at the DNOWS, the "Great Cities In America For Open Water Swimming" :

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2013/12/great-cities-in-america-for-open-water.html?m=1
1. Honolulu, Hawaii
2. San Francisco, California
3. La Jolla (San Diego), California
4. Boston, Massachusetts
5. Atlantic City/Ocean City, New Jersey
6. Miami, Florida
7. Washington D.C.
8. Indianapolis/Noblesville, Indiana
9. Chicago, Illinois
10. Austin, Texas
11. Miami, Florida
12. Laguna Beach (Orange County), California
"Hidden Gems":

1. Chattanooga, Tennessee
2. Atlanta, Georgia with Lake Spivey
3. Fort Myers, Florida
4. Branson, Missouri with Table Rock Lake
5. Clearwater/Tampa Bay, Florida
6. Seattle, Washington
7. Las Vegas, Nevada with Lake Mead
8. Derby, Vermont with Lake Willoughby / Lake Memphremagog
9. Salt River, Arizona
10. Salt Lake City, Utah
11. Bend, Oregon with Elk Lake
12. Orlando, Florida with Lake Cane
Not sure why Steve left off NYC/Brooklyn, home of the CIBBOWS & NYC Swim, but whatever.

[EDIT] Steve added NYC as #6 on the list, shortly after I suggested it.

What would a marathon swimming-specific list look like? Remember, this is about the body of water, but also about the people you get to swim with.

Here's my list (US only):

1. La Jolla
2. San Francisco
3. Ventura (California)
4. New York City
5. Chicago
6. Los Angeles / Orange County
7. Seattle
8. Boston
9. somewhere in Florida, I guess?
10. Denver

Please feel free to add your own list, or state your objections to mine! :)

Comments

• Also, let's expand this concept outside the U.S.

UK, Ireland, continental Europe, AUSTRALIA (!), etc. etc.
  • bobswimsbobswims Charter Member
    edited December 2013
    how about the "Van Down by the River"?

http://www.youtube.com/?watch?v=3nhgfjrKi0orasd
  • david_barradavid_barra Charter Member
    I would add the Long Island Sound to the list. There a couple of locations on the Connecticut side that are regular training grounds for some of the most accomplished channel swimmers in America.
    ...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
  • david_barradavid_barra Charter Member
    Aus... Melbourne, Bondi
    Eng.... Serpentine, Dover
    ...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
  • Under hidden international gems check out Nauthólsvík Beach in Reykjavík, Iceland I stopped by here on my way to Dover, England. It reminded me of Aquatic Park in SF, locals going for the cold water plunge without wetsuits. And @evmo thanks for including Denver :-)
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member
    edited December 2013
    Washington DC?! What the hell? I've gotta go check out that post. I'd love to know where the hell I"m supposed to be swimming here!
  • The endless pool in the White House? :)
    http://openwaterswimming.eu - Cold, wind, waves, sunburn, currents, jellyfish and flotsam! Hop in and join the fun!
  • @IronMike
    I was thinking the same thing! Scratch Washington DC and head east to Annapolis area with the bay and river swims.
    Perhaps the thinking was that Potomac River swims are in the DC area, which they are not.
  • This is easy...
    Wherever Rob D is.

/thread
  • You're leaving out all the LOST Swimmers in Oakville, Canada! Not only does Lake Ontario have a history that goes back a long ways, and ties in directly with the first Catalina Crossings and Cpt Mathew Webb, it is currently a hotbed for open water swimming! For the past 9 years we've been meeting in Oakville every Saturday morning at 8:00 am and usually get between about 50 - 85 people out! We also host the LOST Race and will be starting to conduct Lake Ontario Crossings this summer too! In fact, a lot of swimmers in this forum have stopped in for a swim when passing through Toronto... and the rest of you are welcome to join us! :)
    Cheers,
    Rob
  • The West Coast of Australia is often missed on travels down under because its so bloody far away. But we have some amazing coastline and lots of it, so spoilt for choice really. My local is Port Beach, lovely and flat and can swim for ages. If the Freo Doctor is in, makes things a bit tough but everyone needs a challenge!

But Western Australia has some great open water events
    Swims
    - Rottnest Channel Swim is considered te mecca of open water swims in Perth 19.7k
    to the island, and is increasingly busier each year ( so much it might go over two days)
    - BHP super series up to 10k where you get to race with some of the world's best (and a $17k Prize isn't much to sneeze at)

And for those who like swims just that bit more remote
    - Cocos Islands Swim
    - Lake Argyle Swim

Our water might be a bit too warm for some though :)
  • I'd add Barcelona and the Costa Brava (Cadaqués, St Feliu, etc...) to the list. Amazing open water swimming spots all over the Catalan coast and the sport is fast gaining in popularity.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer Admin
    edited January 27
    Ireland's Copper Coast. Full disclosure, apparently me & @ColmBreathnach & @SuirThing are the few who think so. So it's a future Mecca. Get in while it's still cool. Free cave swimming tours!

I mean you could go to Sandycove, but really, Sandycove is too warm and sheltered, that extra quarter of a degree makes them soft, it has almost no jellyfish, is protected from prevailing winds and it only has one piddling little cave that you can't even really swim into and you are falling over Channel swimmers who just get underfoot, with cake and tea everywhere, there's all that racing and competitive stuff. Whereas the Copper Coast is 40km of pure cold stingy wild cave sub-cliff lone swimming.

Or you could go to Black Rock in Dublin, but there's the same problem with Channel swimmers underfoot, and then you might end up on @Fergal's SPAM friend list and next thing you know you're in a pub in the Dublin Mountains in the middle of winter having just done something stupid, again.

Seems like an easy choice to me...
  • pssst @loneswimmer , nothing wrong with "Hidden Gem" status .... just sayin'
    What would I know, never been further than 10k ....
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Member
    edited January 26
    Miami, FL is awful for swimming. Fort Lauderdale, DelRay, Hollywood, and Deerfield Beaches are great places to train an race.

DC is another turd. I probably have over 150 miles in the Potomac River and can attest that it is a nasty place too swim. The Bay is much better.

La Jolla and Hampton, NH are probably my two favorite places to swim outside of Florida.

Atlantic City and the rest of the Jersey Shore are awesome in the summer. There's a race every weekend.

• La Jolla and Hampton, NH are probably my two favorite places to swim outside of Florida.

I'm glad to hear about Hampton as it's relatively close to me. Any specific spots I should check out?

• edited January 27
    @loneswimmer, shhhh. Let them all go down to the lovely warm water in Sandycove. Locals only ;-)
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Member
    edited January 27

La Jolla and Hampton, NH are probably my two favorite places to swim outside of Florida.

I'm glad to hear about Hampton as it's relatively close to me. Any specific spots I should check out?

My in laws are there. When I was training for my EC swim, I went up there for some long workouts.

I swam round trips from Rye Rocks Beach to the south end of North Beach. Water was 48-51 degrees. I did two back to back swims of 3 hours each. It was probably the best cold water training I ever had.
  • DavidDavid Member
    edited January 28
    In South Africa there is the Midmar mile with over 20000 swimmers. Its a fantastic event with all levels of swimmers. The friendly crowds are huge but if that does not put you off you are in for a swimming experience to remember. Its organised like a well rehearsed military maneuver with 200 life savers on duty. The Guinness world record holder for the worlds largest open water swim. Its got to count in the list of swimming meccas.

• FilFil Member
    Totally partial, biased, and self serving, I would humbly suggest an expanded "hidden gem:" the legendary lakes of the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and the Eastern Townships of Quebec. If for no other reason, the Brault's beef jerky is worth the trip.
  • gregocgregoc Member
    @Fil, you're looking a little tipsy.
  • FilFil Member
    edited March 22
    Ya think? Evmo's been messin' with me pic.
  • ssthomasssthomas Charter Member
    I can vouch for the jerky!
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd Member
    ...and I can vouch for @Fil sometimes being tipsy with no help from Evmo.
  • FilFil Member
    Help from the likes of you JBirrrd and other Crabby swillers.
  • ssthomas said:

I can vouch for the jerky!

If you like jerky... you have to try biltong!
  • Mauritius3Mauritius3 New Member
    We adding Rodrigues Island, Mauritius to this list !!!
    Mauritius swimmers