"Defeating Oceans Seven"

westwest Member
edited February 2014 in General Discussion
I was just looking at the schedule for the Ocean Film Festival in San Francisco and this is one of the films:

Defeating Oceans Seven
(Austria) Rouven Blankenfeld, 52 min

There are seven ocean passages that ultra open water swimmers dream of crossing. After the English Channel, Catalina, Gibraltar, Molokai, New Zealand’s Cook Strait, and the Irish Sea, our hero’s last and coldest, is Japan’s Tsugaru Strait between Honshu and Hokkaido. Marathon swimmer Steven Redmond attempts to conquer this most difficult passage and be the first to complete all seven.
Tagged:

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    defeating???
    curious word choice

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    It's akin to saying "conquering" a body of water. I've always disliked that. Got a draft blog post on it somewhere. I think it's more like a temporary truce. (There goes the draft post for now).

loneswimmer.com

• My two cents, akin to David's and LoneSwimmer.. one never "defeats" or "conquers" any natural body of water , mountain or what have you. Those supposedly inanimate items will be around long after we are dust.
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    +1 @suziedods at best we can come to an agreement

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    After Hillary and Norgay climbed Everest for the first time, Hillary spoke of conquering it. Norgay (a sherpa) spoke of the mountain allowing him a safe passage.

-LBJ
    MvGJBirrrd

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Having the pleasure of sharing the time we spent together on Honshu prior to our Tsugaru attempts, Stephen Redmond is a determined swimmer, class-act of a man and greatly deserves such an honor to have Red Bull Media covering his completion of Oceans Seven. It was pretty awesome to see that kind of a media set-up following a marathon swimmer! 'Defeating', as a term, would have came from the Red Bull Media film team.

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Wonder when the DVD will be released so I can add it to my growing collection.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    suziedods wrote:
    My two cents, akin to David's and LoneSwimmer.. one never "defeats" or "conquers" any natural body of water , mountain or what have you. Those supposedly inanimate items will be around long after we are dust.

How about "surviving", or my favorite of "getting to the other side".
  • I agree with all of the above sentiments--however, I think that when referring to a first time crossing or ascent of something formerly "unswimmable" or "unclimbable" I get the terminology of defeat or conquer. Doesn't mean on a different day with different conditions that it is repeatable even by the same swimmer/climber.
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    How about "swimming"?
  • morecircusmorecircus San FranciscoGuest
    Be "at one with." I can never defeat mother nature or the water. At very very best I can become "at one with" the water. I loved the book & movie Swimming Down The Amazon (by Martin Strel).
    MvG
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    The water is indifferent to us. If we manage to achieve a swim, circumstances allowed it. Not because the water was for or against us, but because we managed by luck and by design, the two always in tandem, to have circumstances favourable to our undertaking.
    evmoloneswimmerSpacemanspiffKellieIronMikeAnthonyMcCarley