Now Available: MSF-Hosted Blogs

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited July 2017 in Admin Communications
MSF is now offering Wordpress blogs hosted at marathonswimmers.org.

If you've been thinking about starting a blog about marathon swimming, consider starting it here.
If you already have a marathon swimming blog hosted somewhere else, consider moving it here.

As a member of the MSF Blog Network, you will receive:
- Your own installation of Wordpress.org open-source blogging software.
- Your own sub-directory of the marathonswimmers.org domain.
- A link in the top-menu of the main marathonswimmers.org homepage, alongside my blog, @loneswimmer's blog, and other MSF Blog Network members.
- The promotional benefit of having your content and writing displayed on the world's highest-traffic marathon swimming-specific website.

The charter member of the MSF Blog Network is Amanda Hunt / @ChickenOSea. See her blog, "Chicken Swims," as an example:

http://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/chickenswims/

For more information, or to contact us, see Hosting a Blog at MSF.

For now, I will be adding only a limited number of blogs as a test-of-concept. So if you are interested, please let me know soon.
Tagged:

Comments

• caburkecaburke Charter Member
    Congratulations. Your site continues to grow and get better every day.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Someone asked a good question offline, and I thought I'd answer it publicly:

If you choose to start or move a blog to the MSF Blog Network, you retain all rights and ownership over your own content. You may "leave" the MSF Blog Network at any time, either deleting your blog entirely or exporting your content elsewhere.

Exporting content from Wordpress software is very simple, and produces a portable XML file that you could then import into other blogging software on your own domain, or whatever.

Currently, I have not developed any guidelines/regulations for blogging on the MSF Network. But generally, if you are using the MSF domain and bandwidth, your blog should be primarily about swimming. You can't use our resources to run a spam site, or otherwise dilute the quality of our domain. Hopefully, that's just common sense.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016
    Welcome, 'Barra Coda,' a new blog from @david_barra!

http://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/barracoda

Still working on transferring his old content from USMS...
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Can one export content from Blogspot?
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Yes! USMS blogs are the only platform for which there is not currently an automated export.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Join us, @heart! Join us....

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    BarraCoda is a wickedly inventive blog title which appeals hugely to any logophile. Wild applause for @David_Barra.
    Kate_AlexanderJaimie

loneswimmer.com

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    BarraCoda is a wickedly inventive blog title which appeals hugely to any logophile. Wild applause for @David_Barra.

I thought only my musically inclined friends would get it

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

A warm welcome to a new member of the MSF Blogs network:

Blue Mermaid: Musings on Marathon Swimming is written by Forum member @bluemermaid9

http://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/bluemermaid

Interested in starting a free Wordpress blog with MSF, or transferring an existing one? PM me, or use the contact form.

IronMike
  • bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member

Thank you, @evmo ! It's a privilege to be hosted on the MSF platform. Cheers!

evmo
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Welcome to the club, @bluemermaid9! I'll add you to my blog roll.

bluemermaid9

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member

Thank you, @IronMike !

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Will you have access within your own domain area to add your own db tables?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

A MSF Blogs site is a standard Wordpress site, and doesn't include direct access to the database for security reasons.

If you have an interesting idea you want to implement that requires direct DB access, let's talk offline and maybe I can set you up with your own DB to play with.

phodgeszoho
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2017

A warm welcome to our newest MSF blogger, @nitro, who will be writing about open water swimming events in Portugal.

http://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/nitroforce

Interested in starting your own, free AND ad-free MSF-hosted Wordpress blog, or transferring from another blog service? Let me know.

Jayrlmnitrobluemermaid9IronMikeJaimie
  • nitronitro Madeira IslandMember

Thank you @evmo . All the best !!!

Jaimie