Oldest to complete Triple Crown - How to determine?

evmoevmo Admin
edited April 2012 in General Discussion
This question emerged recently over beers & burritos with @VanMou and @AquaRob: How do we determine the oldest person to complete the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming?

If Joe or Jane Q. Swimmer completes the E.C., C.C., and MIMS at ages X, Y, and Z, is his/her "Triple Crown age":
  • The maximum of {X, Y, Z} ?
  • The minimum of {X, Y, Z} ?
  • The average of {X, Y, Z} ?
Thoughts?
Tagged:

Comments

• WaterGirlWaterGirl Charter Member
    I like the minimum of {X, Y, Z}. Maximum is okay too, but I don't like it as well. It seems to reward procrastination.

I don't like using the average. You shouldn't have to whip out your calculator to find out if you've achieved a record in an adventure sport.
  • The mathematician in me wants to use the sum of the weighted difficulty of each event times the age at which the events were swum to determine this. However, common sense says that the question actually asks for age at completion and that means it's Z. If someone is going to do the English Channel and Catalina at 20 years old and then wait 70 years to do Manhattan just to get the "record", then they have other issues which swimming can't help.

-LBJ
    "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • The way I would look at it is the age at completion of the last of the 3 swims (maximum of {X, Y, Z}). We are talking about the oldest person to complete the Triple Crown.
  • I agree with gregoc - the age at the completion of the 3 swims.
  • bobswimsbobswims Charter Member
    My vote is for calculating it in the way that works best for me in my particular situation.
  • mrfinbarrmrfinbarr Charter Member
    What about if the sum of the ages at which the swims were completed similat to age groupings for masters relay teams?

Otherwise it'd have to be the age at which all three were completed
  • david_barradavid_barra Charter Member
    gregoc said:

The way I would look at it is the age at completion of the last of the 3 swims (maximum of {X, Y, Z}). We are talking about the oldest person to complete the Triple Crown.

.... but only if the EC is the last of the 3; otherwise, CC - 5years; MIMS - 10 years.

unless all 3 completed in 1 season; + 20 yrs (at least!)
    ...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
  • IronMikeIronMike Bishkek, KyrgyzstanCharter Member