To Beard, or Not to Beard?

Wanted to throw out a discussion on everyone's thoughts on growing facial hair while participating in open water swimming; specifically how much this might slow a swimmer! We've all seen images of clean-shaven channel swimmers ("makes the grease cling better") and we've also seen pictures of some pretty awesome beards (a.k.a "Beardsmen", or "The Bearded Wonders"). I've heard some rumors it might slow a swimmer a few seconds per 100m, which would amount to some serious time over a long channel swim!
www.darren-miller.com
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.
Tagged:

Comments

• Rob D should post in this thread. But I can tell you that I can hardly wait to be able to grow my beard (I'm retiring from the military soon). I don't care how much it slows me (never going to be in the medals anyway). The one good reason for growing I heard from Rob was the protection of the face from jellyfish. Again, doesn't matter to me. Just really hate shaving...
  • You guys may have noticed I'm all about an open water beard. Some reasons for this are more practical than others...
    • For starters I think they're rad and like my buddy @ironmike I just hate shaving my face :)

• It looks bad ass in GoPro surfing pictures... just sayin'

• Having a beard that's long enough to not be coarse and stubbly along the jawline cuts down on chaffing for me. I've scraped plenty of skin off via fresh stubble before when I just had a goatee.

• If you spend enough time at sea a beard is required, thems the rules

• Having an absurdly large beard like I have right now (7-8 inches in the long spots) is pretty good facial protection from stinging things. With a cap and goggles on basically just my nose and part of my cheeks are left defenseless. My beard also guards the front and sides of my neck.

• Other sea creatures fear and respect the adventure beard

• I can't really speak to the speed thing... I'm not too too concerned with speed, I'm a little more experiential in my adventuring... but I wonder if it really drags that much considering that it flows largely behind the shadow of your head while swimming. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part though :)
  • Big beard booster too. Don't care about the drag. I'm not going to break any records by shaving it off. Also shaving is no fun.
  • @aquarob - Yes sir, this thread is by far designed for your attention! I brought it up, as I remember @jenschumacher and I having a discussion about it one time after she saw the solid goatee I rocked while in Hawaii. I've been letting mine grow (although nowhere near your quality) so far this year, and I've been enjoying the random comments I get at work, such as, "Doesn't that slow you down?"

...just thought I'd see if any "swim scientists" out there ever did any research!
    www.darren-miller.com
  • For the last few years I have shaved right before the biggest swim of the season.
  • I forgot to mention, I haven't had a beard for decades.
  • It certaintly helps to have a light beard because you don't get stubble rub on your shoulders
  • I wish I could get a little more scientific for you but my pool racing results are complicated with speedsuit times and whatnot, but that's the most controlled environment I've got... anyways here goes...

In looking at my 50 free times at the CalTech Pentathlon from 2009 to 2011 it looks like the beard has a negligible effect when you figure the boost from my techsuit in '09 and '10

2009 - 25.9 speedsuit + goatee

2010 - 25.49 speedsuit + large goatee

2011 - 26.51 jammer + full on adventure beard

If we want an open water swim to track (which is an amazingly inconsistent thing to track) here's what my four rounds of Naples Island Swims look like:

2008 - 40:48 jammer + goatee w/ no mustache, also worth noting my first open water and masters race ever!

2009 - 33:07 b70 and short goatee

2010 - 30:38 b70 and full adventure beard

2011 - 35:07 - drag suit and much longer adventure beard

Draw whatever conclusions you would like from my obviously bulletproof scientific data :)
  • edited April 2012
    I'm growing back my seasonal adventure beard! In my case, it's helped prevent chafing of the face and shoulders on long swims. As an added bonus, it makes me look 20 years older - just ask my mom!
  • My rules are: Never shave more than 2x/month. Never use anything sharper than a rusty steak knife
    ...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
  • Clearly this topic calls for some historical analysis.

Ted Erikson sporting his patented "Freshwater Adventure Goatee" before a 1961 Lake Michigan race:

Abo-Heif, clean-shaven in 1969:

[Pics from Wind, Waves, & Sunburn.]
  • edited April 2012
    I won my age group in Key West a few years ago with this baby. No B70 though.
  • I won my age group in Key West a few years ago with this baby. No B70 though.

Dear God... It looks like you are competing in the female swimmer's version of the sport of "ferrett legging." (Google that if you want to see a sport crazier than marathon swimming.) Pass the eye bleach, please.

I had a goatee for years but shaved it because it seemed that the moustache part was channeling water into my mouth if it got longer than stubble. I admit that I can't grow a good adventure beard and am jealous.

-LBJ

"Ordinarily he is insane, but he has lucid moments when he is only stupid." - Heinrich Heine
  • @Leonard_Jansen mustaches are tricky...

in that first naples island picture mine was shaved because I was convinced it was trying to drown me while backstroking. A full, but not too long, 'stache doesn't give me too much trouble in the water. I don't really notice it much.

A few months back I started letting my 'stache go to see what would happen and sometimes it's a problem and will run water straight into my mouth which is no fun. Here's what it looks like as of last night while swimming though light chop...

I seem to be at a length right now where it's long enough to channel it past my mouth. My goal is to grow it long enough that I can braid my mustache into my beard to skip these problems completely.
    :{D>
    @aquarob - So, which one are you going for?
    www.darren-miller.com