How the craze for running ever longer distances can DAMAGE the heart

lakespraylakespray Senior Member
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
- Running marathons can lead to serious cardiac problems later in life
- People who are super-fit are more likely to need pacemakers in old age
- This is because exercise causes changes in the body that can disrupt electrical pulses in the heart causing abnormal heart rhythms

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2627279/How-craze-running-longer-distances-DAMAGE-heart.html#ixzz31iRjKrks
I guess this could apply to us crazy marathon swimmers as well.
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    It's the Daily Mail aka, The Profits of Doom.

It's just about the worst source for any useful information of which I can think, it's US equivalent being Fox News I guess. Over the decades it's been a byword for bigotry, racism, homophobia, misogyny, fascism and right-wing diatribes. It still holds to most of these tenets. Most recently, it's become the biggest link-bait generator on the entire Internet. It might be good for wrapping fish and chips in Dover, but even then it would put me off my meal.

But for Forum Administrative purpose, I forewent my instinct to check your link. The name of the study isn't given, nor any direct link. A whole bunch of possibly random "facts" are included, with no way of knowing what is in the study, or if said "facts" are related to each other let alone the bullshit conclusion. Making any inferences from this that may apply to marathon swimming is a waste of time.

loneswimmer.com

• edited May 2014
    Back in High School (1970s) I had a "girlfriend" (I know, right?) who used to warn me about how being a swimmer was giving me a great big heart that was going to go all flabby when I got old and kill me.

I think she's still single. (I know! Right?)
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    It's the Daily Mail aka, The Profits of Doom.

Over the decades it's been a byword for bigotry, racism, homophobia, misogyny, fascism and right-wing diatribes. It still holds to most of these tenets. Most recently, it's become the biggest link-bait generator on the entire Internet. It might be good for wrapping fish and chips in Dover, but even then it would put me off my meal.
    Oh come on tell us how you really feel ;)