MSF is evil and wants all my money

SullySully Member
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
Anyone else feel like the subject line is a theme running through many of the current threads?

I just don't get it. MSF hasn't asked for money or implied they will through memberships, licensing, certifying swims, etc. Yet there seems to be consistent paranoia.

Others seem concerned that MSF is going to evolve into a mongrel governing body that rules like a dictatorship. All they have done is come up with a set of suggested codes/rules that were generated BY THE FORUM.

From my perspective, MSF has given us a place to talk, a list of guidelines to help unify the field and press, a cool logo, and some potential things to look forward to.

If you want to follow your own rules - do it. If you don't like the logo - don't buy a shirt with it if they become available.

Sometimes I feel like people just want to stir the pot and be paranoid. And maybe that is an effect of not having a common cause to fight - think big name swimmer of the warm and far swim variety.

I read several forums - Slowtwitch, GolfWRX, and a couple others. Those sites have grown nicely over the years and many similar goals to MSF. None of them are oppressive, but in fairness there are more clear cut rules and governing bodies in those sports. People should see this as an opportunity to grow and solidify the sport.

Those running MSF have been incredibly transparent and open to suggestions. Take advantage of those opportunities!

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I believe @evmo and @loneswimmer put their own money into the MSF. They've never asked me for any money, despite my asking if they needed any. I've never got the feeling that they're aiming for a pay-per-service MSF.

The beauty of the marathon swimming community is the abundance of volunteers. Which is why this sport is so great.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Kind of like all the volunteers for todays South End Bay to Breakers swim with 25kt winds at ocean beach...Thanks for making the swim safe and for all though hearty swimmers, kayakers, zod pilots in tough conditions!!! This sport takes a village for sure!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber
    It's kind of late for April Fools.