Swim for Alligator Light

SydneDSydneD Member
edited July 12 in General Discussion
Signed up for this 8-miler in Florida in September.
http://www.swimalligatorlight.com/
Anyone done it?
Anyone heading there this year?

Comments

• I read a race report (can't find it right now) online. Said that the race was tough and took much longer than expected. Also said that the jellies were rampant. But it still sounds like fun to me. Warm, beautiful water... what else do you need?
  • SydneDSydneD Member
    Warm is key! I am a cold water wimp!

And yes, the times do seem a bit slower than I expected so it must have been a tough one!

• timsroottimsroot Member
    I would have, but I'm swimming Charleston that weekend. Also, I prefer cooler water.
  • SydneDSydneD Member
    I will ALWAYS take warmer. :)
  • I did it last year. The jellies were in "walls" that I zigged thru for a few hundred yards then there would be a gap of a hundred yards or so and another wall. Moon jellies! Not the worst but painful none the less. I'll be there this year as well. It was very friendly and a nice venue. BTW I got my kayaker thru the Miami Kayak Club. You can find it on facebook and get a paddler.
  • SydneDSydneD Member
    My husband will be coming with me and he is always my kayaker. He wouldn't have it any other way. And neither would I. :) (He gets too nervous otherwise.)

I'll be hoping for no jellies this year. After a man-o-war encounter several years ago, I have a super susceptibility to jelly stings and react really strongly. Fingers crossed!

What's the water depth like? It's hard to tell from the photos, etc.
  • @SydneD the water is about 2.5 to 3 foot deep for the first and last half mile. It builds to about 15 or so feet with excellent visibility. I had hoped to see more animals last year but only a few barracuda at the lighthouse and the odd fish along the way. The shoals of moon jellies were unbelievable. They caused me to get a bit claustrophobic. Anyway, what are the chances they will be back this year? :-)
    Don't sweat it. Bring some epi or benedryl just in case.
  • I never swim without benadryl, and my doctor swears she should put me on Cipro before every race. ;)

Looking forward to next week!
  • @leprechaunturd other than jellies, what were the conditions like? Times seem awful slow. Wind? Waves? Current? Temp? Winner barely broke 2 minute pace (yards).
  • @spacemanspiff I think the biggest issue was the race was billed at 8 miles and was closer to 9. The conditions were perfect to me; however, my swim partner felt the current was strong against us. The course map is a straight line to the lighthouse but in actuality there is a dog leg of half a mile to the north before you swing around. Honestly it was a lot of fun and the awards party was great.
  • So excited!! And ready to get back in the salt water after a long day on Lake Zurich in August. I can't wait to feel so floaty!