Speaking of Michigan, what about Torch Lake?

jendutjendut Charter Member
edited July 2014 in Locations & Networking
Any locals on here? I am headed to Torch in a few weeks to swim- set up by a local (non-swimmer). Anyone got a temp reading or helpful hints? Seamonsters? Man/woman-eating fish?

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2014
    So many unswum swims out there!

Nearest NOAA buoy: Little Traverse Bay reading 64-65F... I'd guess Torch Lake would be warmer given more southern latitude and shallower water.

Local fishing shops might have better readings?

@jendut, hope you'll report back. Let us know about your swim!
  • Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    I did some work on a Superfund site in Mancelona about 15 years ago. From what I remember it was a very rural area. We stayed in Traverse City though, which was a fun college town with some good restaurants and bars. If you're so inclined, Boone's Long Lake Inn had incredible Steaks.

I also remember that the Grand Traverse Bay was a site to behold, especially in the Fall. The azure water framed by the reds and oranges of the autumn foliage was something I'll never forget. From the pictures I've seen, although smaller, Torch lake looks to be similar hue.
  • iswimlongtimeiswimlongtime Phoenix, AZMember
    I've swum in Elk Lake, which is right nearby and stayed at one of the Boyne resorts. The water is a good temp, VERY clear, and fairly shallow. I am jealous that you have the opportunity to swim at Torch. There's not a lot to look at under the water, but Torch can be a circus above the water. Enjoy!
  • JonMLJonML Member
    Beautiful area. I'll be in Traverse City in August and there's usually a very nice buoyed lane in the lake (about 1/4 mile long) to swim in. The inland lakes can be unpredictable for temp. The springs that feed some of them can lead to cold spots. Not a big deal, just startling sometimes.
  • jendutjendut Charter Member
    Thanks everyone- it looks beautiful though "summer" air temps certainly are not what they are here in New England- so might be on the "refreshing" side! I will report back after I have seen the whole thing from my favorite angle (in the water)...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2014
    I think this is @jendut's tracker for her Torch Lake swim?

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0E1qScYyeD1l9pJS9x8egFAmyeRvA5aYK

Looks like she made it? If anyone knows more, let us know!
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @jendut started close to 5:30am. She is swimming North to South and is 2/3 the way down the lake.
    Looks like she has about 3 miles to go.
    @jendut is about 20 minutes from finishing.
    edited August 2014
    @jendut has completed swimming the length of Torch Lake, MN. Between 18-19 miles in just under 13 hours. Congratulations Jen!
  • jendutjendut Charter Member
    Thanks Folks- it was a beautiful day and a great way to visit Michigan for the first time!
    The numbers:
    air temp 60 at start (6:15am), 78 at end (6:56pm)
    water temp 68 at start, 73 at end (quite a bit warmer than I expected)
    length 19.81 mi (we did not take the absolute straightest line due to boat traffic)
    time 12:41
    water is clear blue with no weeds! I just can not get over that as a lifelong New England swimmer.
    I would recommend this lake to anyone looking for a good swim- my one suggestion would be to not go on a weekend day but weather was a big factor; as you all know when you travel someplace you only have a window and you have to take the best you THINK you are going to get! The weather was amazing as you can see from the photo- this was taken before everyone woke up on Sunday

KZ8HSND5FCG7.jpg
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    Huge congratulations, Jen, and what a pretty color! Well done!

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• Congrats!
  • Awesome!

Excellence is born of preparation, dedication, focus and tenacity; compromise on any of these and you become average.