Help. Raft stuck in Memphis. Can you bring it to England?

HaydnHaydn Member
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
NPPFGB13C6S5.jpg

My raft has been in Memphis since I lent it to Dave Cornthwaite for his 1000 mile stage swim down the Missouri a couple years back. I have $400 for the person who brings it back to England. Kind of hope maybe someone coming to conference in Sept might fancy the job. It weighs 28 lbs and can be worn like a back pack. Just needs paying for extra sized luggage if its a bit big for your flight or takes you over your limit. Please help, anybody ?

Comments

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    @Haydn
    You can have it mailed to you for less than $400.
    Is that a tow behind raft for carrying feeds? or a small child if one can't find a babysitter?
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    edited September 2014
    Ok. I can't get a quote from England . It seems they only quote to send from England. Not the other way around. Can anyone out there get me a quote? The raft is 4'6 x 3' x 1' weighs 28lbs and is not wrapped in a box. I guess Fed Ex etc will have a box for it to go in. Insure for $4000 Send to Haydn Welch, 27 Orchard Centre, Taunton, Somerset TA1 3TP England. Tel (44)1823254020 Collect from Dale Sanders, 3984 Planters View Road
    Bartlett, TN 38133
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member
    Just a thought...if you send it in the post via FedEx, could you potentially be liable for UK customs charges on arrival?

I recently ordered 3 swimming costumes from the US and before I could have them released for delivery to my home address I had to pay the customs charge of £29.70. The cossies were only valued at $100 whereas your raft appears to be worth quite a lot more than that.
  • That is possible Zoe, but I only need to show the item was already my property, built in England and taken to US, therefore not an export from US. The duty would then be refunded .
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member
    In the States, a UPS (United Parcel Service) Store will accept, pack and ship just about any item. There are over 20 UPS Stores in the Memphis area. Google and find one close to where the raft is located. Have someone bring it to the store and they will handle it from there. Good luck.
  • danswimsdanswims Portland, ORMember
    UPS has an online shipping estimator, plugging your numbers in results in a cost of $1726. Might still be worth contacting a UPS Store directly to be sure it's correct.

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US
  • danswimsdanswims Portland, ORMember
    Fedex online estimator comes up with $1059.

https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home
  • HaydnHaydn Member
    edited September 2014
    I emailed UPS and got an inbetween quote. Maybe I should just fly over and fetch it. Trouble is, once there, I should take a couple weeks holiday, but busy at work and when not at work I am trying to finish building a swimming lake.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @Haydn, am I missing something here? Why can't Dale ship it/bring it back to England?
  • Dale is an old boy with a big white beard. But actually the cost is the real issue. It seems the cheapest way is simply to get a flight and fetch it. Or subsidise someone else's trip to UK.
  • Paypal to Dale? To UPS? They can pick up and package for mailing.
    EFT to Dale? DHL will also pick up and package to you. As will Fed Ex.
    Or try task rabbit. You pay someone to pick up, package and take said package to DHL, Fed Ex or UPS. I figure it's a 2 hour job. Going rate for taskrabbit jobs is ~ $20 in SF , I can imagine that in TN it's a fair bit less.
  • Yep, but it still costs over $1000 to post. Or around $700 for a return flight from UK to fetch it myself.
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    Be careful about that approach too. YOu might want to check with an airline to see if you'll get hit with oversized baggage costs.

• Haydn, fly me to memphis , from SF, then to London or whereever by Oct 18 and I'll do it. I like to fly United or Delta... coach is fine , but I get the miles.