Hand & Wrist Pain

SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
I've seen the posts about numbness, but this is different.

For years I've had off/on pain in my left hand (only). It occasionally flares up either during swims in excess of 10K or during high-volume training periods. Usually just a nagging ache, enough to be distracting but not disabling. But yesterday, I suffered my worst experience and it was in an unusual setting: I arrived late to my masters workout, and my normal lanes (2-3) were packed. Lane 1 only had one guy in it, but he was 20 years my junior and built like Ryan Lochte. Out of courtesy, I hopped in where I didn't belong. I hit the water sprinting just to keep up with his warm-up pace. Before I knew it the hand pain flared up. Bad. Had to quit mid-practice and the pain has persisted since. I had to take a hall pass on dishes last night because I couldn't lift the plates out of the sink.

It's the lateral side, starting at the base of the ring finger/pinky and down into the wrist. Pain during the pull phase. Paddles provide relief, but do not eliminate.

Thoughts? I've already sent a text to my ortho, but I thought I'd run it by the board, too. I need to solve this before the Suck!

Thanks for your input...

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
Have brought be down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Comments