Race Day Breakfast

Usually I eat porridge before a training session however race day beckons... Some folks like porridge whilst others a full English breakfast. Advice please guys, what should I consume before a 6 hour swim? Thanks.

Comments

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    My only advice is do not drink orange juice! It will keep revisiting your mouth for the entire swim.
    evmo
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    Eat whatever has been working for you in training, don't be tempted to add anything new on race day.

Personally I like PB & J on toast or waffles (+ maple syrup on the waffles).

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    I usually raced on a near empty stomach whether it was a pool or OW event. My latter years was usually a Clif bar (chocolate chip) and some Gatorade.
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member
    I struggle to eat breakfast at the best of times however on the morning before a long swim I usually try to eat either porridge or cold rice pudding toast with butter and honey and coffee.
    i've stayed with Lisa and watched her have Weetabix topped with the frosties or cornflakes and warm milk
    loneswimmer
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    A friend of mine has porridge, with Maxim.

loneswimmer.com

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    porridge with sultanas + ham and cheese omelette on brown toast for me

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Yogurt with fruit. And two ibuprofens.
    IronMikeJonML
  • Porridge with bannana and chopped walnuts,500ml beetroot juice and a couple of coffees.
    In the hour before the start 750ml of High5 extreme.
    If its an early start without at least two hours to digest it then the porridge will be in the form of a smoothie without the nuts
  • JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member
    Porridge, maybe a banana whilst hanging around at the start, or if its available a great big fry up too.
  • Thanks all the suggestions, in the end I had porridge, sausages and scrambled eggs (no orange juice...) @3 hours before the gun, then a Powerbar @1 hour before kick off. Set me up nicely. Would hate to go hungry whilst working.
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member
    PB&J, 2 cups coffee and a banana