Bucket lists of marathon swims?

RanieRanie Orinda, CAMember
edited November 2013 in General Discussion
I love pouring over the Swim Lists. Swims to dream about, save up for and train for, like the Oceans Seven. But I am sure that there are more than seven. Is there another source of interesting long swims to conquer?

Comments

• RanieRanie Orinda, CAMember
    Wow, thank you both! Obviously I have been living in a cave. There are so many fabulous swims out there. And lists that take me to new lists!!! I have many new dreams. Now I just need to quit my job and find some money. Thank you for opening my eyes. I'm not sure where to start!
    dpm50
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    edited November 2013
    Niek, thanks for pointing out this list. I hadn't seen it. It was great to see that Kingdom Swim made the list. Here's another list of Top 100 Swims in the US

http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=World's_Top_100_Open_Water_Swims

And a list of 50 great venues in the Americas

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2010/05/50-great-open-water-swimming-locations.html
  • On my bucket list is MIMS......
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    While it doesn't qualify as an marathon swim I can't imagine a open water bucket list without at least one Alcatraz swim.
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber

@Ranie said:
    I love pouring over the Swim Lists. Swims to dream about, save up for and train for, like the Oceans Seven. But I am sure that there are more than seven. Is there another source of interesting long swims to conquer?

I think this is the appropriate place for me to share my bucket list.

I don't source my dream swims using such lists. Instead, all my "dream swims" are found on maps or by local knowledge.

My bucket list contains the following categories:

World-significant channels (separating continents)
    These include

• Bosphorus Strait (between Asia and Europe, not a marathon swim, done as an annual race)
    • Gibraltar Strait (14 km between Europe and Africa, done as a solo, tandem or relay).

The following two is not in my list because they are not established swims (I'm only willing to travel for swims which are known to be done), but I hope they are inspirations to other people here:

• Bab Al-Mandab Strait (28 km between Asia and Africa, which isn't commonly swum)
    • Bering Strait (82 km between Asia and North America, which I doubt if it is ever swimmable as it's extremely cold)

Regional-significant channels
    This will depend on where I live, which I'm willing to travel for a relatively short distance to do that. As I live in England, it means the English Channel currently for me.

If, instead, I live in a different place, this bucket list item will be replaced with a significant channel in that country, for example,

• Scotland / Ireland: North Channel
    • Channel Islands: to France
    • Isle of Man: to the UK
    • Sweden: depending on which part I live it will either be the channel with Denmark or with Finland
    • Estonia: Gulf of Finland
    • etc.

In such case, I may be willing to try out undone swims if it is close to my home enough.

Local iconic swims
    This means the swim in the most iconic place in the local area I live. This can be done or undone. For example, 20 Bridges if I live New York, or round Hong Kong if I live in Hong Kong. In my current area (Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole), the iconic swim is Studland to Isle of Wight. This is already done by locals but I have yet to find the records for that for official recognition (which I have asked the BLDSA but they can't find any ratifications in the area).

So, to conclude, my bucket list contains 3 levels: world, regional and local, with only well-established swims in the world level, less-established in regional, and willing to try out cool new stuff in local level.

nooravalkonenStLucia_Channelbahsan22MvG
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Swim the Suck was on mine. Did it this year and it didn't disappoint! Great event!

Openh2o