Swimming in Florida

JbetleyJbetley UKMember
edited January 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hoping for a little advice.....

I am visiting Marco Island in Florida with work in February (just south of Naples) and was wondering if anyone knows of any good swimming I could do in any spare time I might have.

In particular I am keen to stay safely away from local wildlife with big teeth. Are there any, or am I just being paranoid?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.......

Jason
Tagged:

Comments

• caburkecaburke Charter Member
    I haven’t heard any reports of “wild life with big teeth” in Marco. I don’t think you need to be too concerned. You probably have more to worry about from the “civilized life with false teeth.” Make sure you swim away from boat traffic. Since you’re not familiar with the area, find the beach on Marco or in Naples and swim parallel to the shore inside the swim buoys.

If you make it to the Tampa/St. Pete area (3 hours north), we usually have organized swims on the weekends and would love to have you join us.
  • Thanks for the advice #caburke, and also the offer. I will see what my dates are, and whether I have access to a car or not before finding out more about joining you.

I've never swum in water at Florida temperature before!
  • nvr2latenvr2late Central VirginiaCharter Member
    I was in Naples last January - my husband had a meeting there. We stayed in a Gulf front hotel and there was a nice beach. I swam every day - just close to shore, from jetty to jetty, about a mile lap. The water temp was a very comfortable 64-65. However, I had my husband walk the shore as I was swimming and he chuckled at the number of people who could not believe that there was a woman swimming in that cold water! I enjoyed the seagulls that kept me company, but no other marine life noted. The water quality and clarity was excellent! Enjoy your vacation, and the swimming!
    vegasdood
  • JbetleyJbetley UKMember
    edited January 2013
    Thanks a lot @nvr2late - 65 sounds positively balmy (I'm a Brit). I will find a similar spot, and ideally ask a lifeguard type person about currents, and let people know where I am and when.
    Sadly it's work (well, a conference, so kinda like work) not vacation, but I want to grab the opportunity for some good OW hours while I can.
  • Piggybacking on the thread: I'm going to be in Orlando the last week of February. I know that it's not on the ocean, but are any of the lakes swimmable at that time of year?
    Orlando is only an hour and a half drive from the Gulf of Mexico if you want to join us in the salt water.
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Cocoa Beach also has great swimming and about 45 minutes from Orlando (Melbourne is even closer on the Atlantic side). BUT, I agree with Chris, if you can get out to Tampa Bay that is all the better especially if you get down to Ft DeSoto Park!
    vegasdood
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    I second the Cocoa Beach emotion. Love the beach there.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I don't think I'll have access to a car. :( But thanks for the possibilities, in case I do.
    Jon. Lake Minneola may be a safe place to swim as they hold the Great Clermont Triathlon there every year. Orlando is speckled with a lot of little lakes in the downtown area but I would be weary of and fresh body of water due to our "friends".
  • jcmalick wrote:
    Orlando is speckled with a lot of little lakes in the downtown area but I would be weary of and fresh body of water due to our "friends".

Um. . . "friends"? Do I want to know?

Just Gators.
  • Friends like these, who needs enemas?
    dpm50
  • I will be in South Beach, Miami in early February and wanted to see if there are any swimmers or swim groups located in the area that I could join up with or any recommended swim spots nearby.

Appreciate any feedback
  • jvjjvj Charlotte, NCMember
    Does anyone know of any swim groups or good places to swim in Marathon area. Will be there next week and looking for place to swim.

Thanks!
    I live in St. Pete but spend a lot of time in Marathon. The short answer is no, there are no groups or good places to swim right in Marathon. If you’re willing to drive about 20 miles north, there is a nice pool and Master’s group at Founder’s Park in Islamorada. Lori Bosco, the organizer of the FKCC Swim Around Key West runs a group 50 miles south in Key West.

If you don’t mind doing short laps up and down the beach, Sombrero Beach and Bahia Honda St. Park are options. But don’t be too disappointed. The Keys are all about the water but they don’t have much in the way of beaches.

Enjoy your trip.
    vegasdood
  • jvjjvj Charlotte, NCMember
    Thanks caburke! Do you know who the contact is for the Masters group at Founder's Park? I've tried emailing the contact listed on their website several times over the last week but I don't think its current anymore as it bounces back as undeliverable.
    Sorry, I don't have a contact. But, if you call the pool, they have the Master's and open swim hours listed on a flyer in the lobby.
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    daveyswims wrote:
    I will be in South Beach, Miami in early February and wanted to see if there are any swimmers or swim groups located in the area that I could join up with or any recommended swim spots nearby.

Appreciate any feedback

Miami Beach or anything on the ocean-side still has a nasty man-o-war, sea lice, and pink jellyfish (forgot their name) when there is an on-shore breeze. The "best" place for OW swimming in the Miami area is called Hobie Beach. It is just off the bridge to Key Biscayne over to the right. Many triathletes train their on the weekend. Jellys can still be a problem and the water there is sometimes pretty dirty. Porpoises often patrol that area. Crandon Park Beach is ok and is where the local triathlon swims are often venued.

The best place to swim (by far IMHO) is Fort Lauderdale Beach just up 95 and right out in front of the International Swimming Hall of Fame. The beach in front of ISHOF up to the HoJos is 1 mile, 1.5 miles to the Holiday Inn, and 2.5 miles to Oakland Park Boulevard. There is a reef about 50 yards off-shore that goes all the way north and is a great line to follow. There are bouys beyond that to keep boats out. Lots to see underwater there like barracuda (leave jewelry in the car), jack, stingrays, manta rays, and the occasional porpoise. Stay out when there are on-shore breezes. Guaranteed to get zapped.

There used to be a masters group that went out there on Saturday mornings for group swims. Try contacting the current masters team there to see if people are still doing it. It is a safe place to swim when the guards are in the towers.

Hollywood Beach is nice as well, but a little more difficult to get to from I-95. Very safe place to swim as well.

Miami Beach has jet-ski rentals and lots of people in the water. You also have to worry about getting your car broken into. When I lived in Miami, I would by-pass everything in Miami and go up to Ft. Lauderdale.

Hope this helps.
    Chris

swimrn62vegasdoodevmo
  • @jvj try http://www.keysswimming.com/fighting-manatee/

That is the masters club on Islamorada.
  • I will be in the lower Keys in Fl. April 3 to 8, 2015. Does anyone know of a open water group to swim with down there or a good place to swim solo?
    JBirrrd
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    Ballyswim wrote: »
    I will be in the lower Keys in Fl. April 3 to 8, 2015. Does anyone know of a open water group to swim with down there or a good place to swim solo?

The Keys aren't good places for open water training and even worse if your swimming alone. I grew up in South Florida and the only good place to swim down there is the race around Key West. The only reason it get in the water down there is if there's a race going on. Not a great place to train. The best place to swim in the upper keys is Gary Hall's pool. I believe it's on Islamorada Key or Key Largo.

If I had to pick, the Florida Bay side (western side) is probably the best. Now is the windy-time of the year. The water can be very shallow with lots of channels letting in/out massive amounts of water. You don't want to be near one. Double that if you're alone.

I would just stick with the pool, and enjoy the sunsets and conch fritters at Alabama Jacks.

Chris
    JBirrrd
  • I wasn't sure where to post this, but since FL was the topic I figured I would jump in here.

I am going to be in Key Largo, FL this wed. (Jan. 13) through Tues. (Jan. 19th) and then in Fort Meyers until the 24th. Are there any open water clubs, or Masters Clubs, (or people who just want to swim) in or around the area?

Or does anyone have any suggestions on good places to practice my open water ocean swimming?

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

P.S. thank you for listing the races and dates- I am going to try to make at least one in the warm waters down south! ;)

• JanetJanet New York, NYMember

I'll be visiting the Florida panhandle this winter, and was wondering if there are any individuals or groups swimming in the gulf or the bay. I'll be in Walton County, a little west of Panama City Beach, but would be willing to drive further afield to meet up with other swimmers.

IronMike
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Has anyone swam with the Lake Cane group? Lucky's Lake Swim?

• Swimmer18Swimmer18 PennsylvaniaMember

I swam with them in March. It is a very laid back group and lots of fun.

Stick around after the swim and have your picture taken with the alligator and sign the wall.

flystorms
  • flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

Lucky's Lake - yes, go do it. It's small, but such a warm, welcoming crowd. have someone show you where to sign the waiver and get a float. Then yes, stay around afterwards to get the bumper sticker, a photo op and sign the wall. This guy is a gem. Google the site for more info.

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

Great! He just emailed me back yesterday and I'll be sure to check them out!

• vegasdoodvegasdood Vegas, Baby!Member

Thanks for the headsup on Lucky's....I will be in Florida next June and that sounds like a fun addition to my itinerary. For you Facebookers... https://www.facebook.com/groups/40590107633/about/

• BerniestoneBerniestone Tunbridge Wells Kent EnglandMember
    edited November 2017

Janet said:
    I'll be visiting the Florida panhandle this winter, and was wondering if there are any individuals or groups swimming in the gulf or the bay. I'll be in Walton County, a little west of Panama City Beach, but would be willing to drive further afield to meet up with other swimmers.

Hi I have just joined as a member today, and noticed that a year or so ago you stayed near Panama City Beach and was wondering if you did any good swims there? Im staying at Rosemary beach in a few days time. Thanks Bernie

• JanetJanet New York, NYMember

Hi Berniestone! I know Rosemary Beach well. You can usually go out beyond the first sandbar—about 75 yards or so off the beach—and just swim parallel to shore for as long as you like. There are not any great geographical landmarks to swim to and from, but you could swim from Rosemary Beach to the Inlet Beach access, or in the other direction to Alys Beach and back. I don’t think there are lifeguards on duty in November, but if you want someone to keep an eye on you you can have them kayak/SUP with you, or beach walk at your pace.

I’ve dreamt of doing a 3-day state park to state park stage swim along that stretch of 30A (Camp Helen to Deer Lake to Grayton Beach to Topsail), and hope to make that happen while I’m visiting this winter.

There are sometimes man o’ wars (bluebottles) along that coastline when the wind is from the south—but if they are in the water you will also see them scattered all along the tide line.

Enjoy your stay, and have fun swimming! There’s also a wonderful 50m x 25y outdoor pool about 15 minutes away in Panama City Beach, at Frank Brown Park, if you get a hankering for chlorine. There’s a nice masters team that has workouts there (PCST Masters).