The Dark Side of Bioprene

david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
edited February 2018 in General Discussion
Sleep apnea, high chlorestol, that annoying sore spot where your belly overhangs your belt, etc.

I carried a 20lb insurance policy around for 3 years. It served me well, but I’m happy to be back near my fighting weight.

Thoughts? Stories? Rants?

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Tagged:
miklcct

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    An extra minute to swim the mile...and my bioprene wasn't gained for a good reason.....pass the ketchup
    miklcct
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    "...that annoying sore spot where your belly overhangs your belt"

We call that Dunlap disease, as in "my belly dun laps over my belt."

When one of our kids was getting an annual check up, he must have been 3, the doc asked if we had any concerns. We said No, except for his Dunlap disease.

The doctor looked at his records and said "I don't see anything in his records about this!"

Poor doc thought it was something real.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• My thighs rub together when I walk now and I've a double chin- feel self loathing no matter how I look at it! Is it worth it? Guess I will find out in September.

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I feel your pain. I've been carrying anywhere from 15 to 25 lb the last 3 years (depending on the swim). I'll be glad to be done with it in September.
  • oxooxo Guest
    edited April 2013
    the light at the end of my tunnel turned out to be a renormalized thermoregulatory system.
  • Dawn_TreaderDawn_Treader Member
    edited January 2014
    OK, now I am here to tell you that losing brown fat is not the same as loosing any old fat. I have been suffering forcing and torturing my body to let it go. It does not want to. A lot of fat is gone. Worked on this since September, but that fat was so carefully cultivated that I could sleep on park benches. It is exactly the spot in the body where it collects that are still padded. My body is putting up a fight. I've never went through this before! What we won't do for our swims! It is insane.

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• I wonder how much fat I'd lose if I swam 7 hours in the ocean without feeding?
  • ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member
    not a lot. back of envelope calculations: 800 calories per hour * 7 hours = 5600 calories. 3500 calories per pound of fat. 5600/3500 = 1.55 lb.
  • not a lot. back of envelope calculations: 800 calories per hour * 7 hours = 5600 calories. 3500 calories per pound of fat. 5600/3500 = 1.55 lb.

I've always found this calculation dispiriting. I have to swim about two hours to "earn" a burger and shake. :(
  • And as one "ahem" matures... it's ALWAYS harder to lose.
    The upside is that when the world food supply crashes, I'll be alive about a week longer than any anorexic. The downside is I'll be alive about a week longer than any anorexic.
    It's a CONSTANT battle to keep my weight down, even to 'channel weight", but I NEVER get cold.
    Of course I don't live in MN or IL or NYC... so it never really gets "cold".