Swimming in Philly

SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
Going to Philly first 4 days of May. Any safe rivers to hop in for a swim? Early mornings will be my only available time.

Thanks!

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
Tides that I tried to swim against
Have brought be down upon my knees
Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Comments

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Short answer: Probably not.
    Long answer: Although they do have a triathlon that does the swim in the Schuylkill River, I'd sooner swim in my septic tank. The Delaware River has some pretty rough currents in it, not to mention that near Philly it's not too clean. Keep in mind that it's pretty much illeagal to swim OW style in any lake in PA, except Blue Marsh Lake near Reading, but that's a good haul from Philly. If you are willing to get up really early, you might be able to make it to Elk Neck State Park in MD, or the Jersey shore area near Atlantic City. Near AC, swimming in the intercoastal waterway is possible, fairly clean and reasonably safe.
    There may be a river or lake in South Jersey, but I don't know the area.
    Keep in mind that we've had a very cold winter and if it doesn't warm up pretty fast, the water could still be very cold in early May.

Let me know if you find some place. (Also, try sending Jason Malick a note on this site - he knows that whole are quite well.)

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• Cole_GCole_G PhiladelphiaMember
    Unfortunately the answer is no. There really isn't any available open water in Philly itself, as Leonard said the only real options include going to AC or other spots along the Jersey Shore which are about an hour drive minimum. If you are here over a weekend, there is an OW clinic hosted by ETA Coach in Lake Ockanickon for triathletes. That's only about a 35-40 min drive from the city, but due to our cold winter the temps are still likely to be in the low 50s in May.

http://www.etacoach.com/openwaterswim.php

@Leonard_Jansen, you'd rather swim in your septic tank? That seems pretty harsh. I have done the Olympic distance race at Philly Tri twice, which includes a 1500m swim in the Schuylkill, and it was actually quite beautiful both times.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Cole_G wrote:
    @Leonard_Jansen, you'd rather swim in your septic tank? That seems pretty harsh. I have done the Olympic distance race at Philly Tri twice, which includes a 1500m swim in the Schuylkill, and it was actually quite beautiful both times.

Perhaps, but the Schuylkill has, at times, very real levels of cholera bacteria. Count me out.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde