SCAR SWIM 2014 - Arizona, U.S.A.

KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
edited October 2013 in Event Announcements
May 7 - 10, 2014

Four days - Four Lakes - Roughly 40 Miles of Open Water Swimming

Swim and Crew Entry: http://www.teamunify.com/TabGeneric.jsp?_tabid_=43413&team=amsmac

Comments

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    edited October 2013
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    OMG OMG I'd sell a kidney to do this
    edited December 2013
    Congratulating all those nominated for the Global Marathon Swimming Awards. Thrilled to see many SCAR SWIM alumni in the line up:
    Sarah Thomas.
    Ned Denison.
    Darren Miller.
    Mo Siegel.
    David Barra.
    Phil White coming to crew in 2014.
    The 2014 season is filling up faster than I expected.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Did anyone else blog about SCAR 2013? I read Ned's 8-part series. Would love to read what other SCAR swimmers thought...

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

@IronMike: Here is a link to reviews I took from a variety of sources from swimmers. Believe me there is room for improvement so these comments are cherry picked. http://www.teamunify.com/amsmac/UserFiles/File/REVIEWS OF SCAR SWIM.pdf
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Thanks @KNicholas!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

CREW RECRUITMENT: SCAR SWIM is nearly full and will begin searching for CREW members. Kayaks, paddle, life jacket, boat support, swag bag provided to all CREW members. One of the best ways to see open water swimming in action is to crew/paddle so here is an opportunity. CREW ENTRY is available at the web site.
  • KNicholas wrote:
    Congratulating all those nominated for the Global Marathon Swimming Awards. Thrilled to see many SCAR SWIM alumni in the line up:
    Sarah Thomas.
    Ned Denison.
    Darren Miller.
    Mo Siegel.
    David Barra.
    Phil White coming to crew in 2014.
    The 2014 season is filling up faster than I expected.

NightTrain 228 also

People, if you at all have time, try not to miss this event. SCAR is an awesome swim adventure with some of the most spectacular scenery and best way to make swim friends for life.

Just Do It!
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    edited March 2014
    Oh my, less than 2 months away...I'm nervously excited! :-)

Definitely different training for 4 days swims...
    SCAR 2014. Excited about the diverse and qualified lineup of 40 swimmers. For fun I calculated the demographics and would be curious about other event demographics:

60% Female and 40% Male
    Average Age: 47.1
    States: 16
    Countries: 4

1 Ann Marie Mullally Ireland
    2 Anna Delozier Arizona
    3 Brad Lundblad Arizona
    4 Bryan Mineo Texas
    5 Bridgette Hobart New Jersey
    6 Cliff Crozier Colorado
    7 Courtney Paulk Virginia
    8 Cynthia Hertzer California
    9 Dan Simonelli California
    10 Daniel Projansky Illinois
    11 David Barra New York
    12 David Smith California
    13 Elizabeth Fry Connecticut
    14 Emily Evans Arizona
    15 Eric Anderson Wisconsin
    16 Erica Sheckler Pennsylvania
    17 Hendrik Meerman Colorado
    18 Isabell Whited Arizona
    19 Janet Manning Maryland
    20 Jim Fitzpatrick California
    21 Joanne Menard Arizona
    22 Kathryn Mason U.K.
    23 Kristin Jones Alaska
    24 Lisa DeLaurentis Australia
    25 Melodee Nugent Wisconsin
    26 Mo Siegel New York
    27 Patty Gray Arizona
    28 Patty Hermann Texas
    29 Paula Yankauskas Vermont
    30 Peter Lofquist Arizona
    31 Ranie Crowley Pearce California
    32 Sally Minty-Gravett U.K.
    33 Scott Lautman Washington
    34 Shannon Keegan Oregon
    35 Susie Paul Arizona
    36 Thomas W. Kofler Italy
    37 Vito Rubino California
    38 Laurie Bauber Washington
    39 Gary Emich California
    40 Kristine Buckley California
    *Swimmers may be swimming all 4 days or a couple days. Majority swimming all 4 days.
  • @DanSimonelli If you're so willing, I'd be most grateful for some details about what changes you've made to your training to train for a 4 day swim. I'm interested to know if my training for multi-day swims should be any more sophisticated than "swimming lots on consecutive days".
    hi Kellie,

Well, the most obvious change has been the increase in mileage. Previous to training for this, I had not swum farther than 10-11 miles on any one swim.
    It's certainly different training from building up to one long day swim.

I've taken some from what other friends who did SCAR last year (though all had done multiple channel swims and other marathon 25k+ swims, so their starting base was more established), and recently (past month+) I've built up to simulating the four days of swimming with increasing distances/time in water, continually testing my feeds/hydration, and then take a day off, then rinse/repeat...

I'm learning better in finding my "all day pace".
    That's been my biggest concern...not going out at "normal" 10k+ pace for first couple days, obviously with Day 3 following, and then finding that same rhythm/pace for the longer third day swim, and then taking it easy/stretching it out on the fourth day.

So, that's about it for me...not too "sophisticated". :-)
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited March 2014
    My SCAR goals are simply to finish, enjoy the beautiful scenery and have a lot of fun meeting swimmers from around the country/world. My training program is similar to what Dan described. I have been on a gradual build in weekly 4 day chunks. I think each swim, in and of itself, is do-able ---the challenge is daily recovery and for me, having the fortitude to push on in what is rather chilly water temps over long periods of time.

I am interested in hearing from those who have swum this event previously. Word on the street is that last year Apache Lake's water temp was low 60F at the start and the air temps got into the high 90's. I have swum in both of those conditions, but never at the same time. Praying that the high air temp will counter-balance the cooler water temp as the day goes on....While my backside is baking, will I find the water temp refreshing? (someone pleeeeease say yes :-) )

I know what I'm bringing for feeds and such, but was there anything special that you packed for this adventure that you found particularly helpful/invaluable? Maybe something someone else had that you wish you would have brought? Any advice is welcome.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @JBirrrd, I enjoy cold water so you may want to take what I have to say with a grain of salt. I found the first 2 swims on the warm side (Saguaro and Canyon). I can't remember the water temps. It was colder at the starts just under the dams. That is probably the low 60s temp in Apache that you heard about. Once you swim away from the dams it gets warmer (mid-70s?). I felt bad for the kayakers. They were in 90+ degree temps all day. You will feel the sun on your back and you will burn. Some swimmers got more than chilled during the 15 mile swim in Apache.
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    @JBirrrd, I forgot to mention, when you swim Apache don't forget to bring a suit. That was something everyone else had that I wish I had brought.
    Noted.
    But I thought I read in one of Kent's e-mails that suits were optional.
    edited March 2014
    @gregoc and @JBirrrd, leave it to Greg to push the envelope on marathon rules. Do marathon swimming rules require a suit? Most open water rules indicate what you CAN wear, not what a swimmer MUST wear. Thankful for Ned Denison whose preparations allowed Greg, who was too busy lathering up with zinc oxide, to swim with a suit. I leave the rules debate to others.
    JBirrrd wrote:
    My SCAR goals are simply to finish, enjoy the beautiful scenery and have a lot of fun meeting swimmers from around the country/world.

You summarize it well JBirrrd.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I was in Phoenix last weekend, visiting a friend. She's training for an Ironman, and her tri group was doing an open water clinic at Saguaro on Sunday. Since she has a swimming background, she talked her tri coach into just letting us go for a swim (with a kayaker).

I can report: The waters at Saguaro were wonderful! It was cold, but there wasn’t any sting left in the water. You don't often think of Arizona as having amazing lakes, but they really have some treasures.

And to make things better: While my friend rocked her wetsuit, I was able to talk one of her friends out of his wetsuit. Winning!

You are all going to enjoy SCAR so much! It was a blast last year, and I wish I could have made it back again this year. Have fun for me!!!
  • Thanks for the info @DanSimonelli. It reinforces that I need to swim more and more often!
    Sometimes I run across a quote that I'd like to share with marathon swimmers, SCAR SWIM swimmers and crew:

“Happy. Just in my swim shorts, barefooted, wild-haired, in the red fire dark, singing, swigging wine, spitting, jumping, running -- that's the way to live. All alone and free in the soft sands of the beach....”
    ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
    UMUZB36JS41B.jpg
    AORO2G1XUB0T.jpg
    edited April 2014
    Well if we are quoting Jack Kerouac...
    “Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me, as is will ever be so on the road water at SCAR.”
    ― Jack Kerouac, On the Road w/a little tweeking by the Birrrd
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    bump

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

Well bumped. When does registration open for next year..I wonder
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    Literally feeling sad I'm not there right now.
    Same here
    Saguaro Lake complete. Water temp: 66F - 69F. Air temp at start: 75F. 30 solo swimmers at start. 29 swimmers finish. Strong headwind the last mile. No hypothermia. 1 dehydration. Fastest time: 3:11.52 by Isabell Whited. Slowest time: 8:08.20. Canyon Lake today.

Registration usually occurs late October or November 1st.
  • I did my first SCAR swim and longest swim to date yesterday at Apache. I am immensely grateful for the terrific support here from @KNicholas and my volunteer paddler for the opportunity connect with other water-loving people. Excellent work, Team SCAR!!

Thanks also to people posting here: https://www.facebook.com/ArizonaSCARSwimChallenge (summaries of Canyon, Apache are up). Kent will put results together after the support team gets done doing the amazing work they are doing here.
  • CliffCliff Member
    Enjoyed the SCAR Challenge! Thanks to race director Kent Nicholas and the small army of volunteers of every stripe. Thanks to the captains and deck-hands piloting the armada of watercraft that shuttled us all over the place over four days, and for keeping us safe and on-course! Special thanks to the paddlers who at times had to muscle through some pretty nasty chop and headwinds. We swimmers appreciate you more than words can express!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm wrecked and it's time to lick my wounds and recover over the next few days. Might need some cold water therapy at Chatfield Gravel Pond Wednesday evening to work out the kinks and knots.

Happy Swimming!

Cliff
    One of the best weeks ever!
    edited May 2014
    Canyon Lake - 9 miles: We had 25 solo swimmers and 1 two person relay. 22 solos finish and add a "C" to their swim history. Water temp at start 60F but warmed to 70F. Two swimmers out with hypothermia at 2 hour mark. Three swimmers with wetsuits. Air temp 74F to 84F. Another headwind at the finish. Wetsuit winner was Lisa DeLaurentis from Australia (3:04) and Non-Wetsuit winner was Kristin Jones from Alaska (3:21). Male winner - Cliff Crozier at 3:43.
    edited May 2014
    Apache Lake - 17 miles: We had 25 solo swimmers and 2 three person relays. Water temp at start was 65F and air temp was 82F. Morning water was very calm but a headwind built throughout the day. Water temp climbed to 69F. 17 solo finishers with the winning time by Kristin Jones in 6:17.53 . David Smith from San Diego was first male finisher at 7:12.06. Mo Siegel, returning from New York, closed out the evening in style with a 11:01.43. An additional 17 swimmers earn the coveted "A" which was described by International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Swimmer, Sal Minty -Gravett, 5 time English Channel swimmer, as "The toughest swim I have EVER done!"
    edited May 2014
    Roosevelt Lake - 10K Night Swim: We had 29 solo swimmers with 27 finishers earning the final "R." 1 two person relay. Swim start at 5:25 pm which was 2 hours before sunset. Strong headwind first two hours of swim. Lisa DeLaurentis from Australia wins with 2:47.31 followed by Alaskan, Kristin Jones (2:57.37) and Arizona girl, Anna DeLozier (3:03.42). Winning male was David Smith from San Diego (3:06.17) followed by Washington swimmer Scott Lautman (3:07.45) and Cliff Crozier from Colorado (3:15.20). Triple Crown swimmer, Thomas Kofler from Italy, closes out the SCAR SWIM 2014 with a 5:15.35. Buona notte until next year.
    edited May 2014
    edited May 2014
    Wow! Phil's got a fast and busy trigger finger!!
    There's like 100 thousand photos!
    :-)

So cool though that he did all that. It really gives us so much more to see of the whole event...and appreciate it even more!! :-)
    Wow! Phil's got a fast and busy trigger finger!!
    There's like 100 thousand photos!
    :-)

So cool though that he did all that. It really gives us so much more to see of the whole event...and appreciate it even more!! :-)

you've got no idea..
  • FilFil Derby, VTCharter Member
    Guilty as charged. Culling to begin next week. (Took me 3 hours and 200 shots to get Neddie Denison just right in his Catalina Channel crossing.) So yes, for every 199 duds there's a decent shot of some fine and inspiring swimming, some awesome yacker swimmer team work, the hard pressed and overworked "boat people," some amazing country, and the master of logistics Kent and Candy and crew working their magic.

My favorites, of all, are of JBird (Janet Manning) on day four, Roosevelt. Her gutsy determination to stick this swim are clear in some of the photos I captured. Just loved seeing that.

Fil
    edited May 2014
    Pity you couldn't capture the audio of me cursing the waves and headwind gods. That was some kind of night swimming fun. Indeed, SCAR would only be a memory in the minds of many if you and others had not captured it on your cameras. Thanks and major kudos to Kent and his army of support people for orchestrating this phenomenal swimming event in one of the most gorgeous places on earth. Wow. If SCAR isn't on your list, get out your pencil and add it now.
    AQPGWXLJZOJM.jpg
    JBirrrd wrote:
    this phenomenal swimming event in one of the most gorgeous places on earth. Wow. If SCAR isn't on your list, get out your pencil and add it now.

I believe you met your goals @JBirrd. (Canyon swim - credit Phil White)