Kettlebells and other weights in support of (long-distance) swim training

MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
edited May 2014 in Resources
Being in a very swimmer-unfriendly place for most of the time this and next year, I'd be interested to exchange with fellow forum members on suitable ways of staying swim- fit while waiting for better times to get back to the real thing again.

Personally I am getting ever more interested and enthusiastic about kettlebell training and weights. For a couple of months I followed Stronglifts 5x5 ( pure strength - quite effective in my view. google it), and started mixing in more and more kettlebell trainings - mostly swings ( great for core, no sit-ups!) & some clean&jerk. I am pleasantly surprised by the mix of strength, endurance and flexibility training kettlebell training offers, somehow this must have fantastic potential for swimmers. But apart from some fairly general youtube videos I can't find much.

Is there anybody else out there using kettlebells and/or other weights on a regular basis to support their swimming? Useful resources, tips, programmes, and experiences good and bad are most welcome.

Comments

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    I took to kettlebells after watching an athlete friend who swears by them knock 15 minutes off his marathon PB. Discussed in this thread.

I have definitely found it beneficial in terms of core strength, and far more effective than sit-ups. I got an I-phone app with a huge number of kettlebell work-outs but the main exercises I go with would be swings, pass around the body, seated rowing, military press, goblet squat, trap lift, and bent over row. Compound exercises give the most benefit, perfect example being Turkish get-up as high-lighted by @loneswimmer . I try to fit them in up to three times a week according as work commitments impact swim time .

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    Here is a link to some nationally-ranked college swimmers sharing their kettlebell workout

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member
    I was talking to a physio recently and he happened to mention that business was booming. Primarily due to cross fit and kettle bells. Just sayin...
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    I was talking to a physio recently and he happened to mention that business was booming. Primarily due to cross fit and kettle bells. Just sayin...
    I have zero medical training, but I do have a keyboard and internet access so I must be an expert :D and I suspect that this has more to do with the nature of Crossfit than kettlebells. Crossfit has all the competitive aspects of a masters swim workout, without the lane lines. Even if a swimmer gets in the wrong lane, its just water. Barfing in the gutter is the consequence.

Those guys are throwing around big lead weights.

While watching other men throw around big lead weights.

With a stopwatch running...

Can you imagine how many out of shape 40-something men show up there every January 2nd, armed only with the distorted memory of what they used to be? Its a perfect storm!

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• MvG, I did the WOD Murph today and then swam 10 km tonight. I stopped doing CrossFit last year because the recovery time was too great and I could never control myself and down scale in training. I also was so busy swimming every night after work. In December 2013 I stopped and my core has grown weak over this past year and I regret this very much. I have been busy back at it now and actually everything has improved and I will keep it in my program going forward and I am convinced that it will help me to succeed. I have done a lot of rucking with bricks and sandbags and cardio too help get my body strong and mind right for my re-attempt to swim the EC. Its nice to have discomfort in other muscle groups besides the neck and shoulders for a change. I say try it and see. Every body is different. My only advice is to be sure you have correct form and avoid injuries. Work with qualified coaches and have fun! Almost every good athlete does cross training of some sort and core training is always included in their workout. You don't always need weights. Body weight is sufficient. But for me it is also fun to barf in the gutter and throw weights and kettle-bells and sandbags around. To each his own.
    tortuga

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

• MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    Thanks all for your inputs, much appreciated. I'll keep the kettlebells in for sure. It's not as much fun as being out in the water, but it beats the treadmill and the rowing machine...
  • jkormanikjkormanik Boise, IdahoMember
    SuirThing - what app do you use?
  • sharkbaitzasharkbaitza LondonMember
    I'm currently waiting for my tractor tyre to be delivered... Tyre flipping is a great workout as well and really good if you are limited for time.
    tortuga
  • @Sharkbaitza pounding them with a sledge hammer is great too.

Sisu: a Finnish term meaning strength of will, determination, perseverance, and acting rationally in the face of adversity.

Yeah, I've ordered one as well!
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    Will order a tractor tyre and a sledge hammer also, hope they let me take them as hand luggage on the plane.
    @jkormanik the app is just called "kettlebell" and it is by "feel free aps"

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,

edited May 2014
    MvG wrote:
    Will order a tractor tyre and a sledge hammer also, hope they let me take them as hand luggage on the plane.

may put you over your baggage allowance, but if you're flying with Ryanair so will a kettlebell ....

for sure... my tyre weighs 220kg and it's considered an intermediate tyre.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I had to make sure the above posts weren't from April 1st. Using tractor tyres and sledgehammers strikes me as extreme, in line with what @ColmBreathnach says. If ever there was a recipe for lower back injury it's those.

My garden has a clay substrate which requires a lot of work for simple tasks. Those tasks I hate most are anything that involves using a sledgehammer or pickaxe to break the clay, because even though I've used them a lot, they are the two items most likely to cause an overuse or lower back injury.

I understood that strengthening core should always be at least started with body weight. If Pilates are good enough for the EC record-holder, they're good enough for me (if I bothered).

loneswimmer.com

• Dawn_TreaderDawn_Treader Member
    edited May 2014
    You gotta have good form when you squat down and pick up a big tire. Same goes with swinging a sledge hammer. Engage the core and it works out alright.
    @Loneswimer do you believe everything Colm says?

edited May 2014

Woohoo! Got my tyre today![img][/img]
    JB8RMCRJS2X0.JPG
    Sorry about the multiple posts... I can't figure out how to delete the previous ones... Anyway, here is the tyre I got...
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    edited May 2014
    Anyway, here is the tyre I got...
    Couldn't afford a new one like Lochte?
    edited May 2014
    Anyway, here is the tyre I got...
    bobswims wrote:
    Couldn't afford a new one like Lochte?
    No, but mine's bigger... (the tyre anyway)
    tortuga
    500 down... 12 000 to go... lol
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    Start 'em out early with a spare tire! ;-)

UGJ1EQC1YAFA.JPG