MIMS Logistics

caburkecaburke Charter Member
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
I'm sure the organizers of MIMS are knee deep in last minute preparation so the last thing they need is a bunch of questions. So, I'm reaching out to the forum. If you've participated in MIMS in the last couple of years, can you help me with answers to the following questions?

1. Is there a prerace meeting on Friday?
2. Is there typically a post race gathering on Saturday? If so, are family and crew welcome?
3. Will there be a place at the starting area to leave a bag of clothes and equipment for when the swim is over?
4. Will the swimmers get to talk with their kayakers and boat captains before race day?
5. Will all the support boats have a head (bathroom)?
6. Is there anything else participants need to know that isn't published on the MIMS site?
Tagged:

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    1. There always has been....
    2. There always has been...
    3. Yes
    4. Probably... But there is always a possibility of late changes.
    5. Nope
    6. There will be a flood of information released to you as the day approaches.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• caburkecaburke Charter Member
    That was quick and easy, thanks.
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    From email for June 14 swimmer:

Dear Swimmer,

With the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim events fast approaching we have a few updates for you.

The swim start time is now posted on the main “overview” page of the event website. A full race-day schedule will be coming soon.
    Group 1, June 14: http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2402
    Group 2, June 28: http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2415
    Group 3, July 12: http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?Event_ID=2416
    The pre-race briefings will be conducted via webinars. The schedule for this will be posted shortly. There is no in-person pre-race meeting.
    If you’d like to request a paddler who meets our criteria, please make sure that person is signed up as a volunteer. Swimmer-requested paddlers must have appropriate experience and be a relative or member of the swimmer's club or have paddled for you in a previous event.
    Please confirm that your primary crew listings are correct or advise if you need to activate an alternate crew person to be on your boat.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

The NYC Swim Events Team
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    I'm coming out for Group 1 as a crew. My swimmer and I are wondering if there is a group getting together for a swim on Friday?
    There will certainly be a bunch of folks swimming at Brighton Beach on Friday.... not sure if I can make it. Boat logistics are rather involved....

7. One of the rules states that no personal gps tracking units be used. Will NYCSwim provide gps units and a site for friends and family to track the race?

8. For female crew members on boats without a head, are there "rest" areas along the way?

9. Is it common for swimmers to get held up by the crusie boats?
    7. They usually do
    8. Don't depend on it.
    9. Since the field I'd usually spread out by the time they pass the cruise ship terminals.... The home stretch. The potential exists.

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    @david_barra- what time on Friday?
    Probably 9 or 10
    Post something on the CIBBOWS And NYC Swim FB pages.....

• Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    @ssthomas I'm not sure about a group, but if you are an early bird I will be swimming from 530am-630am all next week near the pier. Feel free to join me. If you need specific directions send me a message...
  • Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    In case this was overlooked in your MIMS informational packet:

Please be mindful of flying sharks near the statue of liberty...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2650405/Tara-Reid-Ian-Ziering-New-York-City-residents-fight-survival-new-trailer-Sharknado-2.html
    (David Barra, I love your style...just the facts. I know there's a three page thread on this, but my questions are MIMS specific)

10. Is it customary to give the kayaker and boat captain a monetary gift?

11. Is it customary to give the race observer a monetary gift?
    10. Boat captains are paid.... Not sure if kayakers expenses are covered. Many swimmer/kayaker relationships begin at MIMS. It is common to see pairing requests continue for other NY based swims. It's a long time to spend in a kayak, and you can bet that their day starts hours before the swim and continues hours after the swim is over. Anyone you ask will say it is up to you... But I think they are an amazing and dedicated group. Tip generously!

11. Nope, but be sure to buy them a drink at the post race event!

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    caburke wrote:
    8. For female crew members on boats without a head, are there "rest" areas along the way?

Tell them to wear a swim suit and, in a pinch, they can jump in and "test the water." We had to do that one year when I did it on a relay team and the boat had no head.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde