New Marathon Swim in British Columbia, Canada - Nanaimo Ocean Swim

SalishSeaSalishSea Nanaimo, BC CanadaMember
edited April 2014 in Event Announcements
It's on the 23rd of August and it is an 11km swim around both Newcastle and Protection islands in Nanaimo BC. This is a first of it's kind in Nanaimo and I am super excited to be putting it on.
Here is the website: http://www.viendurance.net/nanaimo-ocean-swim/

Comments

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Test swims?

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited April 2014
    Time limits? speed requirements? for those of us in the "not too speedy' but can slug it out department....
    edited April 2014
    To avoid making it look like we are simply bombarding @SalishSea with terse questions, I'd like to add for those not from around these parts that since spreading word of this swim in the past few days, there has been much local enthusiasm for an 11k. This will be the ONLY (non-wetsuit-mandatory) organized swim over 6k in the Puget Sound/Salish Sea. In US waters, we have two 2.4mi options for Puget Sound swims, and Nanaimo, BC is only 5 hours from Seattle. Hence the excitement.

Here's hoping this is the beginning of a trend for the Pacific Northwest.

• SalishSeaSalishSea Nanaimo, BC CanadaMember
    Sorry haven't been on in a while. I will be makinging a lot of updates in the next two weeks after my meeting with the port authority. But seeing as how I too am a slow swimmer there will be generous cut offs and I will be organizing some test swims. More to follow.
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    OOOH!! A trip to BC!! thank you @salishsea!
    Sourdough>? Tcho chocolate( much better than Ghirdelli)
    @suziedods if you make it to the race I'll get you some Cherub Chocolate; our local chocolatier! And yes there will be plenty of Nanaimo Bars!
  • MikeHMikeH Member
    I'd like to do this swim...anyone know if it's sold out yet?
    There are still a few spots available. Let me know if you want me to hold you a spot.
  • MikeHMikeH Member
    Thanks - I'm signed up! Looking forward to it...
  • MikeHMikeH Member
    Anyone know which town I should book a hotel in for the swim?
    You should stay right in Nanaimo (Downtown preferably) then you can walk to the ferry to get to the race start. I will be sending out an email at the end of the month with more details. Thanks for signing up.
  • msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember
    I've paddle around those islands in an outrigger race. Some nice water. Lots of varied conditions. Lots of sealions on the south east side of Newcastle.

Wish I could come. Hope you do it again next year.
    Well the race was a huge success yesterday. Weather was perfect! After a lot of last minute cancellations; only 2 swimmers did the 10.6km race. As one of the swimmers put it. "It was like swimming through a Monet painting" A full race report will be out latter this week. Next Years Date is Saturday, August 29, 2015 Results and splits are here:http://www.viendurance.net/nanaimo-ocean-swim-results-2014/
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    I regret to have missed it, @SalishSea! I was crewing for @msathlete on her 70km swim of Lake Cowichan! :-)
    edited August 2014
    @salishsea, that comment reminds me of that DNOWS article, I think it was http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2012/02/swimming-is-medley-of-strokes.html?m=1

Congrats on bringing organized marathon swimming to the Salish Sea. When's next year's?

• jkormanikjkormanik Boise, IdahoMember
    It's on my list for next year!
  • Hated missing it, sounds awesome. Next year!
    @JenA no worries. @msathlete congrats on the 70km swim I heard it took 34 hours WOW!

@malinaka the race will be Saturday the 29th of August. I am planning on having it on the weekend before Labour Day long weekend each year (which is the first Monday in Sept here); so for the next few years will be the last weekend in August. The race start time will be around 14:00 to maximize the flood tide. Although one racer did mention they were stationary for about 10 min at the north end on the course; I guess that's what makes these races interesting.

I'll start a new event thread in a few months once I have registration setup.