San Francisco 24 Hour Relay - Feb 2015

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited December 2016 in Event Announcements
This discussion was created from comments split from: 24 Hour Swim Relay in SF AP Feb 2014.

Comments

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    As we slide into the dog( or fog here in SF) days of summer... mark your calendars for Feb 6-8 2015. Round 2 of the 24 Hour Relay, in the cold, dark , wet....
    You know you want to...
    Price will be $75.
    Smallest team is 6 , largest is 10.
    There will be a dinner the night before so that we can mingle a bit, but other than that the format remains the same.
  • The event will be take place w the Dolphin Club as the venue.
    The cost will be ~$90. "base camp" will be slightly different but I still see it working. Teams will be max 12 , min 6 (unless you have discussed the team with me prior.
    I will be trying for another Holiday Inn discount , but the "Comfort Inn " is probably a block further and alot cheaper.
    Please use my email rather than FB for questions, comments.
    I have to give a shout out to WOWSA for providing insurance and for the Dolphin Club board for asking me to present, to asking questions and for voting UNANIMOUSLY to host the event.
    Hope to see some or all of you back again.
    There is a limit of 75 swimmers.
    Thanks again for your interest.
    evmoslknightloneswimmerIronMike
  • OOPS- Forgot the date Feb6-8 2015. Mandatory meeting Friday Feb6 at 5.30pm ,followed by a pasta dinner at DC.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    I'm still not sure I can make it (conference), but if I do, I can host 2-3 people at home. Caveat - I live in the Excelsior, which is a 25-minute drive from Aquatic Park.
  • Exciting!
  • a couple of things.. #1- we are definitely limited to 75 swimmers and so far I believe I have at least 40 swimmers.
    #2- I will need payment by Jan 10 of $95 to me
    #3- again , in the spirit of inclusiveness, wetsuits are welcome.
    #4- In the spirit of meeting and mingling, there will be a dinner Friday night after the safety meeting. (Included in the $95)
    Email is the best way to communicate questions/comments, not FB .
    Hope to see some of you back and meet some newbies.
    suziedods@hotmail.com
  • We now have at least 3 teams. Patty B's team , my team and a combo team. And we are once again going global with the addition of a Swiss national!
    Entries open til Jan 10.
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Looking forward to a weekend of cold swimming and warm camaraderie! Thanks for leading the charge, Suzie!

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• As of last nights count, we have 15 spaces left, that's either 3 teams of hard core swimmers on one generous team.
    Ping me if you want to be on a team or are making one of your own.
    Thanks
  • As we slide headlong into the holidays... If everyone who has said they are interested or on a team actually pays and shows up... we are at capacity.
    However.. running the usual %15 dropout rate.. we have about 10 spots open.
    If you REALLY are coming.. please pop me a check.(no fancy cc or paypal here!)
    ping me at suziedods@hotmail.com for my address.
  • Just a gentle reminder, I would truly love to have confirmation , in the form of a check for $95 by Jan 10 2015..
    Thanks in advance. Email me if you need my address.
    IronMike
  • We have 6 teams,53 swimmers. Done and dusted. If anyone is coming and has not communicated or paid me, I do apologise but this is it. MORE than happy to have you join us for dinner Friday and help on Sat/Sun but not on a relay. I need to cut it off somewhere. :(
    IronMike
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Getting excited for this. Went for a dip with @trouble this morning... ran into Sir @Sharko on the beach. It was just perfect, water about 55F, little ripples in the cove. Looking forward to teaming up with @malinaka and a few others.

QH20XI4I02W1.jpg
    gregocmalinakassthomasKellieJustSwimsuziedods
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    I just can't help but picture that it will be dark and pouring rain the whole time.
    evmoChickenOSeassthomasJustSwimsuziedodsjendut

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Can't believe I'm missing it. Hope it's a agood as last year!! (Bit warm though...)
    Have fun!!!
    gregoc
  • BrendanBrendan Portland, ORMember
    Ahh! I wish I had seen this earlier. I just moved down to the bay area.
    suziedods
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2015
    The 24 Hour Relay: helping California out of droughts since 2013 :)

1VZSUW08Z2EX.png
    gregocjendutAnthonyMcCarleysuziedodsphodgeszoho
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Sweet! Good job Suzie
  • Sounds like a great event I'd like to do in a future year!
  • "After 43 days of bone-dry weather, San Francisco was getting its first rain Thursday night, the start of a storm that's expected to drench Northern California and the Pacific Northwest into the middle of next week.

But the soaking won't do much to relieve California's historically parching drought, forecasters said Thursday.

Coastal and northern parts of the Bay Area could get as much as 6 inches of rain by Sunday, with isolated parts of the North Bay possible getting more than 9 inches, according to the National Weather Service, which issued flood watches and small watercraft advisories for the area through late Friday night. "

From NBC --- good luck to all swimmers, crew, etc. - looks like an interesting event just got more interesting.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    " I never met a drenching I didn't like".....
    gregocsuziedodsAnthonyMcCarley

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Please post updates and photos of the event.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Circa 8:59
    0FH1MWEAASNR.jpg
    gregocslknightSharkoViveBeneDanSimonelliwendyv34
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2015
    @ssthomas and @emkhowley, sometime this afternoon.
    TGUBGV4KR7NE.jpg

Dusk falls on swimming paradise.
    M2B02J2RNC65.jpg
    ssthomasdanswimsgregoclakesprayDanSimonellisuziedodsAnthonyMcCarleyryanmdalton
  • ryanmdaltonryanmdalton San Francisco, CAMember
    A couple photos from the swim. It was a fantastic time- smooth water, great attitudes, and smiles even through the sleep deprivation.

The 9am start:
    W7HCHSXNBHHC.JPG
    Rough weather moving in that never seemed to gain a foothold- it was pleasant through the afternoon and evening.
    Z7KRBRKVVFMC.JPG
    A cruise ship passes at the end of daylight.
    GPI14TWF6F3Y.JPG
    At first light the rain begins and @suziedods hunkers down.
    CV3I77H72WSJ.JPG
    evmogregocAnthonyMcCarley
  • A brief note to thank everyone who showed up, in person and in spirit.
    I will try to do a short write up but I would say that we can do this again next year. First weekend in Feb @ Dolphin Club.
    There is ONE story I would like to share although Mr January may like to tell it himself so I will wait and ask him first.
    It's not only a wonderfully serendipitous one but one that speaks to the importance of mentoring and youthful impressions.
    gregocAnthonyMcCarleymalinakamolly1205
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    I wish I was there in person, but I was there in spirit.
    AnthonyMcCarley
  • Suzie Dods, you rock!
    AnthonyMcCarleyJustSwim
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    edited February 2015
    @suziedods,
    Assuming you mean me... not sure what story I got myself into the middle of this time... so, as long as it isn't me saying something mean about someone, please feel free to tell it. (Just checked my emails and don't see anything from you.)

Thank you again for letting me participate. It is a wonderful event and one, I believe, that could only be held in San Francisco. Mo is right - you rock!
    ssthomasIronMikegregocDanSimonelli
  • The story as I heard it from Diane Walton, was that you did your first Alcatraz as a 16 year old and were helped by one of the Dolphin Club swimmers, "back in the days".
    I find it serendipity that we held the event at the Dolphin Club that you came. I also thought it spoke to the importance of mentoring and encouraging younger swimmers. Done right, they too could be "Mr/s January in someone's calendar!
    molly1205KarenTDanSimonelliJBirrrd
    Here are a few more photos from the fantastic 24-Hour Relay: https://www.facebook.com/molly.nance/media_set?set=a.10204922212707633.1009959693&type=3
    AnthonyMcCarley

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    AnthonyMcCarleydc_in_sfDanSimonellimolly1205ryanmdalton
    I just received confirmation that it will be hosted again by DC in 2016. First weekend in Feb 2016,
    Am now looking for feedback from 2015. The good the bad and the ugly.
    Email is best.. many thanks. :D
    malinakassthomasIronMikegregocmolly1205ryanmdalton
    The 24-Hour Relay is the best of swimming camaraderie. And swimming at night under the glow of the Ghirardelli sign is a slice of heaven. 24 Hour Relay Photos
    malinakagregocryanmdalton

Just another huge thank you to Anthony McCarley and Shawn Turner. LOVE the tshirt . It's just wonderful and the design ROCKS .. in the truest sense of the word. I think I can add a t shirt for next year.. for those of you who swim for tshirts.
    Thanks again for EVERYONE who participated in so many ways.

JustSwim