Pacific Northwest cheering section

malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
edited May 2015 in Cheering Section

Here's the scoop: marathon swimming in the Pacific Northwest is about to be huge! There are at least six off-grid swims being planned up here this summer, not to mention the increasingly popular 11km hosted by @salishsea. If you enjoy cooler temperatures and unbelievable scenery, watch this space for inspiration. (Resident forum members include: @wendyV34 @mikeh @jenA @msathlete)

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

gregocjkormanikphodgeszohoevmoIronMikessthomasJenA

Comments

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    edited May 2015

With that, I present to you my first swim of the year, set to take place in two weeks, between 5 and 7 June 2015. (Note, map may not reflect intended route.) Here is some info on why I've chosen this swim: link

Bert-Thomas-Swim-2015

FrancogregocjkormanikphodgeszohoevmoJanetSydneDSalishSeaIronMikessthomasJenATheojenduttimsrootTimDexKNicholas

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Super excited about getting out on the water in the morning to support Andrew! We have a lovely stretch of summer weather going in the PNW and there's nowhere else I'd rather be. =D>

JenAgregocssthomasIronMikephodgeszohosuziedods

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Good luck Andrew. Have a great swim!

malinaka

I will be a little jealous of my crew during this swim, so many fun folks on one boat without me. Luckily, they'll all be jumping in to join me throughout since it's going to be a blisteringly hot, sunny 80F outside tomorrow.

The AIS can be tracked here: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:450878/mmsi:367575160/vessel:367575160

Twitter, of course: @andrewswims - courtesy of @emkhowley

And a couple auto-posts going up on andrewswims.com tomorrow.

JenAgregocdavid_barraAnthonyMcCarleyevmoIronMikejroyerphodgeszohosuziedodsloneswimmer

=D> Great swim Andrew!

JenA

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Congrats Andrew! ...and thank you for honoring the history of the sport!

gregocIronMikephodgeszohosuziedods

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

WHat was your time @malinaka?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Unofficially, I think it was in the low 8:40s. I didn't come in to shore on the RIB as he finished, so I don't know exactly what the stopwatch said. I was getting all teary out on the Xiphius and just bursting with pride. I had to fight off the urge to dive off and swim to shore in my clothes.
    IMG_7731_edited-1
    This is the last 3-4 miles, from Blake Island to Fauntleroy.

evmophodgeszohoJenAIronMikesuziedodsTimDexOnceaRunner

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Awesome swim. Congratulations @malinaka :-)

• ryanmdaltonryanmdalton San Francisco, CAMember

Nice swim @malinaka! What was the water temp?

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Awesome and inspiring swim!

• MikeHMikeH Member

nice swim, Andrew!

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Way to go!

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I spent my Sat glued to the fb postings ( after swimming of course and after watching the SERC B2B swimmers) So cool to watch. Love the data... and the photos.. it looked like a lovely day and jealous of the apres swim waterslide!!
    Bask in the glory. Well done.

ssthomasgregoc

Official time was 8h42m (8:43am to 5:25pm), water temps were between 53 and 59F.

Saturday went exactly as planned. We left the beach two minutes ahead of schedule, had weather that was better than forecast, took a route through the currents that was exactly as planned, and landed within fifteen feet of the target. I couldn't have asked for a better day and a better crew.

More info to come, but I'm dealing with an unexpected side-effect of doing a local swim: having to go right back to work on Monday.

JenATimDexjroyerLeonard_JansenssthomasKelliegregocIronMikejendutJustSwimOnceaRunner

• okay... so the first version is done.... i think...
    this is the reader's digest (swimmer's digest?) condensed view...
    all swim clips are timecoded to their approximate (actually pretty close) time during the swim..

all for now....>p<

malinakawendyv34evmoKelliephodgeszohoIronMikeksmith

Here's another one. It's happening in two weeks, 8 or 9 August 2015. As far as I know, it has never been attempted before.

Bainbridge-cover

JenAdavid_barraevmo

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    edited July 2015

@malinaka - what sort of currents do you have to negotiate, to swim around Bainbridge?

There are two big spots of concern: Rich Passage at the bottom, and Agate Pass at the top. Both can get up to 4kts on the right tide. On the west, there are a lot of eddies during the ebb tide (which I'm a bit worried about). On the east, the current is weak and variable, but difficult to predict since it can flood and ebb from the north or south.

imageCurrents on an ebb

imageCurrents on a flood

• MikeHMikeH Member

4 kts is fairly strong. what time are you starting?

Planning a 6:20am start on Saturday, or +1hr if the weather looks better on Sunday, right about low tide.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@malinaka finished his unprecedented 25.5 mile swim around Bainbridge Island in Puget Sound in ~12 1/2 hours! Well swum, Andrew!

I'm sure we will hear more soon at http://andrewswims.com

rosemarymintloneswimmerjkormanikdavid_barraKellieJustSwimIronMikeJenAsuziedods

Yay Andrew! Sorry to have missed being there. Glacier has so many crystal-clear, glassy lakes ... I'm going to have to return to swim a bunch of them.

• This was one impressive swim. Surprised it didn't get the press it deserved. A first, cold water.. LONG distance as well., a bow to the history of OWS in the NW the works! A real re-awakening of OWS in the Northwest. Well done. #Summerof Bert !!

evmo