Any Interest in a West Coast "Champion of Champions" in San Francisco?

Since I already copied the races at La Tuque,I figure I can copy the BLDSA Champion of Champions.. .I won't call it that to avoid having to pay royalty fees, but similar event.
It's going on this weekend in Dover. Format is ONE 5 mile swim to be finished in 3 hrs, ONE 3 mile swim to be finished in 2 hours and ONE 1 mile swim to be finished. I think we can pull this off in AP with no use of either club and there will be a nominal fee of say $25 for insurance and warm drinks and maxim and snacks...
Am thinking the first weekend in October.
If you are interested.. let me know here or via email at suziedods@hotmail.com. You can do all or one or a combination,

slknightGruntorDanSimonelli

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I'm interested! Only not for a few years until I return to the states.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Suzie - What are you guessing the water temp will be?

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

I think your five and three mile times are a bit too restrictive, especially for us breaststrokers! Clearly you may fill the event with swimmers who can hit those standards. Six hours in total time would work as 40min for a mile covers a lot of swimmers.in zdover today the killer was the three miler where two hours cut off was difficult.

suziedods
    edited June 2015

According to the folks at the BLDSA, their time limits for CoC this past weekend were:

5 miles in 4 hours;

3 miles in 2.5 hours;

1 mile in 50 min.

3 hours for 5 miles would kill me.

suziedodsmiklcct

• HollyTHollyT Member

VERY interested, but I'm still slower. would prefer the 5 miles in 4 hours format. that way i'd feel like I could get it done. the other times don't bother me. Kayak support? And I guess if honest, I think coming from the subtropics, I might be REALLY cold.

suziedods
  • JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

With a steady breaststroke I had 3:12 for the five miles 2:05 was a very tired three miles and 41 min for a total just inside six hours. Allowing enough time to warm up and recover and then prepare. My experience of four of these events is that that first interval is really key to your ultimate physical and mental state at the end. Remember the four hours to complete the five mile also means the three miler starts four hours after the start of the five.....

suziedods
  • I think it sounds amazing, and I'm fine with the originally proposed time limits. I'm just never sure what weekend I can make it (I'm on the East Coast).

suziedods
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Anything you organize Suzie I definitely want to be there. Unfortunately I am already scheduled for the Suck in October. I like the idea and would definitely come out for it in the future. Since it is SF a quirky event name would be called for anyway. :-)

HollyTsuziedods
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

Jim, thanks for those details.. I was just going off the top of my head. I may have to move it to the 17/18 , water temps should still be hovering around 60F.! MINOR kayak support... ie maybe one or two at turn points.
    Glad there is an interest.
    Stay tuned.

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Very interested!

• HollyTHollyT Member

And I should say @JimBoucher I've not done any 5 milers in water as cold as SF, so I kind of have no real idea about what time I'm looking at, so I tend to gravitate to the longest time possible, my spine injury has slowed me and I was slow to begin with, but...there is a chance for speed to come back by then.... If I am not doing any running....

Okay-- just asked Colm B in Ireland what their time limits are.. The Copper Coast C of C is Aug 22.
    Looking at the swim sched of the Dolphin and South End and it looks as if Oct 31!! ,yes Halloween is the best day. Water should be around 56/58 so doable.
    Again, this can be done a myriad of ways.. a relay is possible or a team. The point is to have fun and challenge yourself in a safe, welcoming and inclusive manner.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Halloween in San Francisco... dear God, the possibilities for getting into trouble are almost too much to resist. Now I just need the name of a good bail bondsman.

-LBJ

HollyTAnthonyMcCarleysuziedods

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Halloween...now that puts it back on my calendar. :)

suziedods

suziedods said:
    Okay-- just asked Colm B in Ireland what their time limits are.. The Copper Coast C of C is Aug 22.

So what are the Irish time limits?

• ColmBreathnachColmBreathnach Charter Member

Is my crochet man thong an acceptable costume for the Halloween swim? I'll let you google it (NSFW) if you're that curious....

Regarding "Irish time limits", there aren't any, but the start times are fixed:

Swim 1: 5 miles (8Km). Starts at 9am, registration begins at 8am

Swim 2: 3 miles (4.8Km). Starts at 1pm, registration begins at 12 noon

Swim 3: 1 mile (1.6 Km). Starts at 3:30pm, registration begins at 2:30 pm

But if someone says "I just want to swim 5 miles and it may take 4 hours" then we'll be ok with that and do our best to accommodate that.

We will probably pull you out of the water at 4:30 though.

The water temp here will be around 14C / 57F in August.

<ShamelessPlug>

If anyone is interested, details are here

https://www.facebook.com/CopperCoastChampionOfChampions

</ShamelessPlug>

IronMikeevmosuziedodsloneswimmer
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    edited June 2015

"I won't call it that to avoid having to pay royalty fees" - @suziedods you should definitely call it Champion of Champions. Think it is great that the BLDSA format is being picked up and replicated.

Just think, if someone manages to attend Dover, Copper Coast and West Coast CofCs then we could crown them The Champion of Champion of Champions! ;-)

ZoeSadlersuziedodsGruntor
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

You need to include Australia in that list too! I was speaking to Chloe at the Dover Champion of Champions on Saturday and she organised one in Australia (Melbourne, I think) earlier this year, although I think it was in reverse format.

The Dover one was brilliant on Saturday and there were 78 swimmers in total.

The Copper Coast location is fabulous. Would love to do it again this year, but I'm on holiday - highly recommended event and the Irish hospitality is wonderful.

For me, I found the biggest challenges in the Dover event were the 14C sea temperature, the short rests in between swims, and the fact that you only feed on the beach between swims (although a kindly volunteer did give me 2 jelly babies at the 3.5 mile mark which gave me a psychological boost). You really need to fuel up in advance of the 5 mile swim as I found that my wheels fell off at about 3 miles.

IronMike

Option TWO- Change of date.. Sept 20? I am going to create an event on FB.. please vote for the preferred date.
    Water temp shld be about 16/17 C at that time and possibly warmer. ( I'll toss some ice cubes in to make it more challenging)
    A couple of other details--- Cost is going to be ~$65-- I want to have plenty of "fuel", cover in case of sun/rain ( ha) and am thinking of having an ambulance or an RN just in case. SO.... I need at least 25 people to make this doable.
    Hence the dithering about the date... Thank you again for all the infor and details and interest. If anyone is coming from out of the country ( Colm? Donal? Helen C?) give me a heads up.. we can farm you out for at least a night or two.

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

$25 seemed appropriate, since you're using a public space to host it (instead of one of the clubs).

I'm curious how you get to $65.

The ambulance is ~$300, the insurance is about $5-10 pp ,an RN would be about the same as the ambulance and food- About $100. I am just guesstimating. The UK cost was 65 pounds., which is about what $80?? I also am going to need to buy or procure some large thermoses, a table and a tent like cover. As I said.. it's just a guesstimate.

gregoc

Oh and prizes.. like a beanie? a mug? a t shirt? A certificate?

Let us know when the FB page is up. I'll LIKE it and follow. I won't vote on the date since I don't have a horse in this race (this year). But I will follow you all with great interest.

• HollyTHollyT Member

You are going to find an RN for an entire day for 100? In CA? I would not do that in Florida for that price where the wages are super low. But if there is a swimming enthusiast I guess it's possible. In addition, it's possible to partner with a local hospital and possibly get volunteers because we usually do some sort of community service for "points" on our work evals!
    September 20 is out for me, as I'll be recovering from the Swim for Alligator Light which is the 19th.

Gruntor

HollyT said:
    You are going to find an RN for an entire day for 100? In CA? I would not do that in Florida for that price where the wages are super low. But if there is a swimming enthusiast I guess it's possible. In addition, it's possible to partner with a local hospital and possibly get volunteers because we usually do some sort of community service for "points" on our work evals!
    September 20 is out for me, as I'll be recovering from the Swim for Alligator Light which is the 19th.

They're not medical professionals, but a local Scout troop may have some volunteers. Most Scouts (boys and girls) are very skilled in First Aid. Additionally, a Venturing Troop (old Explorers) may be there and those guys sometimes have legitimate EMTs. Further, the adult volunteers for some of these troops may be doctors or nurses.

Also, are you near any military bases? Those guys always need volunteer hours, and there you might be able to get licensed doctors, nurses, paramedics.

evmo

The ambulance is ~$300, the insurance is about $5-10 pp ,an RN would be about the same as the ambulance
    The cost of the RN would be about the same as the ambulance.... AM looking at the son of a friend who is an EMT... but still, I think $65 is about what it will cost. If it's difficult for anyone email me privately and we can work something out. As always , I want it to be accessible, fun, welcoming and challenging.

IronMike
  • TMcQueenTMcQueen Belton, TXMember

Hi Suzie! Count me in for this swim event! I could probably convince my husband John McQueen to come along with his kayak for swim support! I prefer Oct 31, but can do Sep 20. Whichever date has the lower hotel rates, really, as we will be driving 5 hrs up from the Mojave desert. I look forward to more details!

suziedods

I have set it as Oct 31. There is a fb "Event" page and am looking into getting a permit from the NPS for the use of the bleachers. I may go the way of ' do first , ask permission later" but have gathered some info and may be able to actually have a permitted event. If we stay on the beach/sand... no permit required.. but the moment we start using the bleachers, NPS gets their grubby little paws into it. So, while it may be "public space".. ( just like parks are public space you still have to pay to use them ) Don't get me started on that. ..
    I will post as I get more infor but at this point, I am setting the date as Oct 31 with a probably start time of 8AM. Briefing etc at 7AM , We should be done by 5pm so those of you who have Halloween plans should be good to go!
    Thanks again for your interest.

• HollyTHollyT Member

Oh Suzie! I'm a bit excited even though I probably won't get to the left coast... one never knows.

• GruntorGruntor MelbourneMember

Hey Suzie, I think it is very very awesome you are organising this. Well done.

I participated in Chloe's version of this event in Melbourne earlier this year - The Reverse CoC format. It was a very very tough swim in this format. We had great conditions and it still kicked my ass.

Well done to Chlos and everyone who puts in all the effort to make events like this happen.

Best of luck.

suziedods

I had a thought while walking to work today...
    This is going to be for fun right?
    So, it's also going to be free. ****Uninsured but free. Swim at your own risk etc etc etc. COMPLETELY volunteer. This will lean a bit on locals to bring some nibbles etc but wtf.. if it's free then no permits needed. I will put out a donation jar but that's up to you.
    I'll dig up some thermoses for hot water and tea and chocolate but other than that.
    So, there you have it.

IronMikebruckloneswimmer

You're the greatest, Suzie!

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

suziedods said:
    So, it's also going to be free. ****Uninsured but free. Swim at your own risk etc etc etc.

Noble idea, but I do wonder about the potential for personal liability issues (for you) ?

As a "volunteer" I think I would be immune... but either way.. i'm still going to keep it free. It's just easier.

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember

I did the Copper Coast version here in Ireland last year, and it was my toughest challenge to date. A step into the unknown. A small bit of advice for anybody in a similar position.

1-Bring three togs, and after each leg, the dry togs for the next leg goes on as you dress yourself. Aside from the fact that you don't have to put back on wet togs, you are also already committed to doing the next leg once your togs are on. (Obviously pack your bag correctly for each leg.)

2-I did most of my eating/refuelling between the 5-mile and 3-mile legs. A swimmer of my slow speed and pitiful cold tolerance doesn't have time for eating between the 3-mile and 1-mile legs. (and the fast swimmers will have the last of the food gone before you finish the 3-mile anyway!)

3-Force down the electrolyte! It does help.

Finally - enjoy it, and big it up when you have it done! 5+3+1 is harder than a straight 9

loneswimmer

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• VanCornwellVanCornwell Marin, CAMember

I'd be interested. Where exactly are you thinking of doing it?

Where?? In AP SF.. or otherwise known as Aquatic Park San Francisco CA,

Looking up "togs" right now on the Interwebs....

:)

SuirThingphodgeszoho

• SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember

IronMike said:
    Looking up "togs" right now on the Interwebs....

:)

swimming "costume" ?? :)

IronMike

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• It's 3 months away.. a few details..
    Start time will be 8 AM.. but we will have a briefing at 7Am. There will be a sign up sheet.. one for solo's one for relays. Please try to bring warm clothes and maybe an extra blanket , we'll do our best to feed and water you.
    If you are coming from out of town , ping me on email or fb or twitter ( !) and I'll do my best to find you a place to lay your head on Friday night.
    This is going to be off the bleachers, NOT involved w the clubs in any way so please don't count on a hot shower or anything. I'll try and wrangle a tent or some sort of covering as well.
    Hope to see some new faces and some old familiar ones as well.

dc_in_sf
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

So 6 coves for the 5 miles then? Will be interesting working out reasonable waypoints for 3 miles and 1 mile

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• @dc-in-sf.. I have to work that out.. I need to find people w garmins for the distance. I know Cathe H and Kelly P use them. I may mix it up a bit for the 1 and 3...

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2015

suziedods said:
    I need to find people w garmins for the distance. I know Cathe H and Kelly P use them.

If they swim in perfectly straight lines! :)

One option might be a diamond-shaped course, such as:

Selection_007

• Start from sand in front of bleachers
    • Around the Flag
    • Through the goalposts
    • Around the buoy at the Opening
    • Around the last buoy before the SERC/Dolphin docks
    • Back to the start.

I get 1.1km (0.69 miles) for one lap of the course. It uses fixed (or semi-fixed) features to prevent course-cutting like what happens at Five Coves of Death. It avoids crossing in front of the busy SERC/Dolphin beach. The whole course is visible from the bleachers.

• @evmo.... thanks.. what happens if you add a bit on the stretch to the opening buoy? to make it either .80 or to be really sweet.. a full on mile. I can get a buoy to push that out a bit... or even tag the buoy line on the Eppeleton Hall.. still avoiding the docks...
    BTW.. This is soooo helpful. It's so nice to know techie people...

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2015

Just a smidge under 0.75 if you add a detour under the Balclutha buoy lines, and including a "special event buoy" at the NW corner of the cove.

under balclutha buoys

0.81 with an additional detour to Bad Becky buoy.

Selection_008

A "tight cove" (hugging the piers closely and going behind the boats) is 0.85... don't think you can get to a mile without going outside the cove.

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

FYI - What @evmo is doing is a new(ish?) feature in google maps. If you right click on the map at the place where you want to start your measurement, there is a choice in the pop up menu "Measure Distance". It shows the nifty ruler and everything. Each place you click will get you a subsequent point on the measurement.

I'm glad they added that feature back.

molly1205
  • This IS going to happen.. I think with the measurements @evmo has we can get away w 6 loops plus a smidge for the 5 miler. I'd love to have a few kayaks(ers) and a few on land helpers. There is also a fb event page and the "old fashioned" email.. suziedods@hotmail.com
    (it's free, if you are in need of a place to lay your head.. let me know.. we may be able to find you a couch somewhere..

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I'm watching to see what my school and work schedule will be. I can't make any plans for a few more weeks, but I may be up for a relay.

suziedods
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@ColmBreathnach's 2015 CCCoC ran yesterday and it was another superb and tough event. We've been having a virtually non-existent summer here in Ireland but the weather and water co-operated with 24 hour window between a storm on Friday and another last night.

Water temp was about 14.5C and air was about 19 with 20/21 for the second three mile leg. The surface was mostly windless but with a swell rolling to about 1 metre on the far half of the course and the legs were a tad longer than spec. GPS watch reports vary for the 5 mile leg but based on averages and my swim pace & times I'll say it was around 250 metres over the mile, almost exactly a nautical mile, making the whole swim probably around or just over 16k. Personally, though it kicked me, I am glad of the extra distance. After a summer of doing little, I finally feel like I did something worthy again.

I've never found CoCs easy, as they never arose when I was doing a lot of training, but I have always felt after each one that I've completed a tough challenge.

I recommend them highly and the CCCoC particularly, and especially anyone looking for a great tough swimming trip, with BBQ fresh mackerel and blaas for one of the best post swim food treats ever afterward combined with coastline I most love in the world, make @colmbreathnach's CCCoC a highly valuable addition whether for seasoned vets, intermediates stepping up, beginners diving in or triathletes waiting to move to the Light Side.

IronMikesuziedods

loneswimmer.com

edited October 2015

UPDATE

Meet on AP bleachers at 7AM on Oct 31 for briefing etc.

5 miler starts at 8AM
    3 miler at 1 PM
    1 miler at 3 PM

Relays- max 5 people

EVERYONE swims the 1Mile even if you are in a relay.

Course TBD, but ALL IN THE COVE

Unsupported ( pretty much)

There will be a "tip jar" to help pay for "cake " etc. but basically it's free.
    NO CLUB INVOLVEMENT so plan ahead.

IF the DC is open on the Saturday I will go over how it MIGHT be used.

loneswimmerIronMike