Our Chance to Seize Control of USMS

USMS is advertising for a CEO. Does anyone here have the skills for the job and want to be a sleeper agent to re-establish marathon/OW swimming as a priority there?

I'd volunteer, but I couldn't organize a three house paper route.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

I nominate @evmo.

malinakagregocJenAemkhowley

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2015

I'd have to imagine the only thing more pointlessly savage than marathon swimming politics would have to be USMS politics. Or Dept. of English, College of Anywhere politics.

slknightlakesprayemkhowleydpm50tortuga
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

A quick Google search came up with this link:
    http://turnkeysearch.com/2015/11/20/u-s-masters-swimming-chief-executive-officer-sarasota-fl/

Just in case.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited December 2015

That's very kind ( and funny).
    I don't think I'd like Sarasota....
    :)

gregoc
  • JenAJenA Charter Member

@suziedods, once you're CEO, you can either implement a liberal tele-commuting policy, or move the whole circus to whatever state you please. :)

NoelFigartsuziedodsdpm50
  • @malinaka already beat me to the punch....
    I have to admit it did cross my mind.....

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

You should still go for it, though. Despite the low bar for qualifications and experience, I'm not so sure I've got a great shot. Maybe we could be coCEOs?

suziedods

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• The operative verb in the job description is "implement." This is not a leadership verb.

The language seems to me to skew male.
    And why is "ethically unwavering" given such prominence? Did someone waver? What is professionally wavering?

Based in Sarasota, Florida, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) must be professionally and ethically unwavering, a self-starter, driven and motivated. He or she must have a proven track record as a leader; a skilled facilitator with outstanding interpersonal skills and savvy. The successful candidate must be an excellent communicator who can convey positions, issues and opportunities in a clear and professional manner. Possession of strong strategic planning and problem-solving skills is vital.

wendyv34dpm50
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@ViveBene, how does that description skew male? Or am I missing more of the job description? (I try to stay away from the USMS website.)

JenA

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

Seize control? What would you do with control of USMS?
    Serious question: What would you do to make USMS better?
    (I acknowledge that I don’t even know who the CEO of USMS reports to.)

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@AnthonyMcCarley, I know that a few years ago, back when I was a USMS member, there was heated debate about insurance and OW events and requiring boat drivers to have prop covers (name?) etc. Reading the USMS board meeting minutes, or whatever they were called, really led me to believe that a) not one OW swimmer was on the board or b) the board really didn't want to support OW swimmers.

rosemarymint

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams