Lake George Marathon Swim

IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
edited January 2016 in Event Announcements

Looks like they're looking for swimmers who want to attempt the length of Lake George.

https://www.facebook.com/LGMarathonSwim1958

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

Tagged:
Bob_Singer

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Unfortunately, my friend from NY only sent me those two screenshots. I'm asking him for the next page and I'm searching for the article online.

• JSwimJSwim western Maryland, USSenior Member

It's from "The Chronicle", October 8 edition. Looks like you can only read the 1st page online though. Hope your friend sends you the next page.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. --Neale Donald Walsch

Yeah, I finally found it and downloaded what I thought was the whole paper, only to get the first page. ;)

With the time diff, my friend is up now and hopefully sending me the next page.

• Thank you all for "finding" our swim before the official announcement. We will have a website and an official announcement in a few weeks, but for now, here's some information...
    The Lake George Marathon Swim will be September 17-18, 2016. Lake George is a beautiful lake in the Adirondack Park in upstate New York it's about a four hour drive north of New York City. Most of mountainous shoreline is wilderness but there are a few tourist villages, including Lake George Village on the south end, which is very developed and fun for families, with parasailing, water slides, a roller coaster park, and other amenities.

The swim is 32 miles (51.5 km). Water temperatures will be 21-23C, but air temperatures coul be anywhere from 3-22 C. The warm water is exceptionally clear, with visibilities 6-10 m. The lake is long but narrow, so chop is usually low, but a north or south wind can kick up 1 m waves. We hope to swim north to south, but will reverse directions if a strong south wind is forecast. We are accepting solitary swimmers and relay teams of up to six swimmers. Each swimmer will be supported by a kayak and a power boat. We are limiting this first year to six teams and six solo swimmers. If you are interested in participating let me know soon.
    Bob Singer
    N5442T@gmail.com

dpm50pavlicovIronMikethelittlemerwookieTMcQueenChrisgreene

Thanks @Bob_Singer!

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Out of my league (marathon newbie) but sounds like an exciting swim! I hope this gets a good response. Will look forward to the reports!

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Anya just told me that the Lake George Marathon Swim (new this year) is taking registrations.

32 miles, 17-18 Sept 2016. Only 6 people and 6 relays.

Link: http://www.lakegeorgeswim.com/marathon/

-LBJ

gregoc

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• LeslieLeslie TexasMember

So, each swimmer swims approximately 5 miles?

Leonard_Jansen said:
    Anya just told me that the Lake George Marathon Swim (new this year) is taking registrations.

32 miles, 17-18 Sept 2016. Only 6 people and 6 relays.

Link: http://www.lakegeorgeswim.com/marathon/

-LBJ

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

I believe registration is full, though if they get enough volunteers, it may re-open. I'm very lucky to be on a relay team, thanks to J9, team captain.

dpm50thelittlemerwookiedavid_barraJaimie
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member

If it is full, who is in? Sound off here.

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Cross Country Mermaids relay team - myself (SC), Ali Hall (CA), Andrea Boyle Ballard (IN), Lyn GoldSmith (NY), and for those of you who know her Devon Clfford will representing the rest of the states:).

thelittlemerwookieswimrn62gregocJustSwimChrisgreeneJanetdpm50david_barraJaimieAlex_Arevalo
  • Wouldn't miss it for the world!

david_barraJaimie
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

gregoc said:
    If it is full, who is in? Sound off here.

I've been conditionally accepted, pending receipt of my medical clearance and that sort of thing. I'm super excited, too. I participated in the 2007 Lake George Marathon Swim (a pro race that I had absolutely no business being accepted to at the time but somehow got into) and because of conditions, wasn't able to actually complete the entire course. This will be a full-circle do over for me of my first ultra swim. :-)

gregocJustSwimrosemarymintthelittlemerwookiej9swimIronMikepavlicovChrisgreenedpm50david_barraJaimie

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

I'm in

gregocj9swimSpacemanspiffpavlicovChrisgreeneJanet

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

I'm in as a solo, still lining up my volunteers, anyone interested in volunteering?

Janetdavid_barra

Chris, I posted a volunteer call on a few NYC kayaker groups and got 3 people (so far) to volunteer. I'd search for kayak forums in and around your area and post. Or network with kayak shops or other outfitters. If the organizers get enough volunteers, they may re-open registration.

MUCH respect to all those who are doing this as a solo swim!!

Chrisgreenedpm50

Thanks Lyn, that's a good idea, though it might be more difficult to get a volunteer from Atlanta. Looks like I'll see you at Lido Key.

swimrn62
  • JanetJanet New York, NYMember

I’m in as a soloist, and am so excited to be part of this project—Lake George is a beautiful place, and has such a rich history of marathon swimming. Speaking of, Elaine, I would love to hear more about that 2007 pro swim!

swimrn62david_barraIronMikeChrisgreene

Chrisgreene said:
    Thanks Lyn, that's a good idea, though it might be more difficult to get a volunteer from Atlanta. Looks like I'll see you at Lido Key.

Yes, I can't wait for Lido Key, it seems like the next perfect step up in distance. If you stay around the finish line till the bitter end, we'll hopefully get a chance to meet. I'm slow, but I think steady enough to finish.

• mysterybobmysterybob North Hampton, NHMember

I'm in as well.......pending medical.

thelittlemerwookiedavid_barra

mysterybob said:
    I'm in as well.......pending medical.

I'm in the same boat as Bob. Solo pending physical in April.

david_barramysterybob

Wishing you all success!

I think 6 soloist have sounded off. Hopefully they can open it up to a few more. The more the merrier, or is it misery loves company?

dpm50david_barraSpacemanspiff
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Chrisgreene said:
    I'm in as a solo, still lining up my volunteers, anyone interested in volunteering?

Wait, what? @Chrisgreene is swimming in an event he didn't win in a lottery?

JustSwimChrisgreene

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

The list is out. There are 13 solo swimmers and 14 relays. What a list of swimmers! I'm pissing my pants in fear and excitement. If you aren't swimming in it you should volunteer. It is going to be one fun and event filled weekend.

http://www.lakegeorgeswim.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Roster-2-3-16.pdf

rosemarymintChrisgreenedavid_barrathelittlemerwookie

this is going to be fun.....

ChrisgreeneJustSwimthelittlemerwookie

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

I'm planning my school schedule next year around this so I can come up and crew. Can't imagine a better place to be!

Chrisgreenethelittlemerwookiesuziedods
  • An update on the Lake George Marathon Swim. We have accepted 13 solo swimmers and 13 relay teams. The list of accepted swimmers is here. We were overwhelmed by the interest from the marathon swimming community in this first-time event. More information is available on our website. We also have pictures and information on our facebook page.

Chrisgreenegregocdavid_barraIronMike
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I loved reading the 1927 history page, especially the part about the "grease swimsuit".

Chrisgreene

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

Bob_Singer said:
    An update on the Lake George Marathon Swim. We have accepted 13 solo swimmers and 13 relay teams. The list of accepted swimmers is here. We were overwhelmed by the interest from the marathon swimming community in this first-time event. More information is available on our website. We also have pictures and information on our facebook page.

This is a great community @Bob_Singer. You'll find lots of interest here in unique marathon swims. Good luck on your event and I hope to hear more about Lake George marathon swims in the future!

ChrisgreeneBob_Singer

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

That's a pre/post swim dinner I'd like to be at.

gregocChrisgreeneJanetsuziedodsBob_Singer

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• One of our relay teams had to drop out. If you have a group of 2-6 people interested in participating please contact marathon@lakegeorgeswim.com. If your team is short a few swimmers we can connect you with singles looking to join a team (why does this sound like a dating service?).

ChrisgreeneIronMike

Bump. Swim is taking place this Saturday-Sunday.

bluemermaid9kejoyceIronMike
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Whoohoo! Sending best wishes for a safe and enjoyable swim to all swimmers, organizers, and volunteers!

IronMikethelittlemerwookie

If anyone is available and interested, I might be down a crew member for the swim this weekend. (Medical emergency in his family that could get worse. We're hoping it doesn't come to that, but he'll need to get home ASAP if it does, which means we're kind of just in limbo waiting right now for more news.) It would alleviate pressure on my crew if I could get another person to help. Anyone out there fancy a ride on a boat/couple of turns in a kayak this weekend?

I reached out to my team and volunteers, some are from the area. Will let you know, and please let me know if you get sorted out.

I just got word from my crew member that he's in for sure, so phew crisis averted. But thank you @swimrn62 for the assist!

gregockejoycedpm50Jaimie

I'm thinking that I should get some experience crewing for a marathon swimmer--thought of offering help for this one but given my lack of experience, I'd want to start with something shorter.

Wishing everyone a safe and successful swim!

Chrisgreene
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2016

Follow along at track.rs/lakegeorge

Individual tracking pages linked at track.rs/lgms-lineup

david_barrabluemermaid9

Canceled around 8 pm.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Group tracking page has been reset to show the furthest each swimmer/team got before the event was called.

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

What happened?

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

Weather??

• JenAJenA Charter Member

Vacationing Ogopogo? ;-)

Jaimie

It was the weather, 20mph headwind gusts, kayakers couldn't keep up with the swimmers,. Mine fell behind, then capsized and was stranded, in the dark, in the middle of the lake for 30 minutes. And around 10 there was lightning. I was in the last of five pods so I was only a little over 3 hours into the swim when they called it.

Sounds scary! I can see why they had to cancel--but sorry you didn't get more favorable weather!

Chrisgreene said:
    It was the weather, 20mph headwind gusts, kayakers couldn't keep up with the swimmers,. Mine fell behind, then capsized and was stranded, in the dark, in the middle of the lake for 30 minutes. And around 10 there was lightning. I was in the last of five pods so I was only a little over 3 hours into the swim when they called it.

• msathletemsathlete Victoria, British Colubia, CanadaMember

Really sorry to hear that the swim was cancelled just as it was getting started. It can be so frustrating for everyone, especially those who have been training so long and hard for the swim. So to those who jumped in that water that day - caps off to you for getting out there. Preparing your body and soul for a swim like this takes tremendous effort.

Glad everyone is on shore safe and hope that you were able to jump in the water and play at some point.

ChrisgreeneSolothelittlemerwookiebluemermaid9nabilraddpm50
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

I spent a lot of time in Lake George this summer, I crewed and observed for 2 successful solo crossings and also participated as a relay swimmer for the event on 9/17. I'd like to thank Bob Singer for all the work he did in the last year to introduce me (and many others) to this beautiful lake. After more than 60 hours on/in the lake and a few flying over her i have to admit that i'm as enamored with her as I am the Hudson. The lake is clear, tasting better than any other water i've swum, the scenery is stunning and the boat traffic is manageable. She's a bitch in bad weather like all grand bodies of water are, testing us both physically and mentally and most of us would have it no other way.
    It was a rough first event as many of us witnessed first hand but i truly hope that it won't be the last marathon event. I want my chance and it will probably take me till 2018 to train for a solo attempt.
    As I've said before I don't know why people are race directors, its often a thankless job but I'm so happy they do. So let me say a big thank you to the following race directors I've spent time with this year - not all went perfect by any stretch of the imagination but i appreciate all your efforts to provide a safe and happy place for me to swim and support my friends swimming. In no specific order: David M. & Steve B (Lido Keys), Rondi, David & Alex ( Bridges), Morty (MIMS), Bridgette H. (Finger Lakes), Bob S.(LG), Kathleen W (SAC), Ben (geneva), Doug R. (navasink). 2016 season is over for me...time to start dreaming and planning for 2017. Swim Happy!

ViveBenerosemarymintgrappledunkjendutdpm50JaimieJanetMaryStellaAlex_Arevalo
  • bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

Would it have been possible to move this event plus or minus 24 hours to avoid the worst of the weather? Or if not at the last minute, to have built a 48-hour window into the planning?

Alex_Arevalosuziedods
This discussion has been closed.