You might be an open water swimmer if ...

Comments

• That is so true.
  • mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member
    @heart I've said that so much over the past month!
  • NatalieswimsNatalieswims Orange County, CAMember
    You might be an open water swimmer when you crave a bowl of hot soup after a 7 am swim on a warm sunny day.
    dpm50
    ....when you're at the hardware store for some home improvements, but your bf or spouse has to come find you. You're looking at hot pink twine and other cool ideas for feeding mechanisms.
    dpm50
    ...when you drive on PCH and you see Catalina on a clear, still day and think son of a...why didn't I get these conditions?
    dpm50
  • When someone asks you where the nearest place to swim is , a pool is not the first thing that comes to mind. People still look at you funny. They wanna know where the pool is.
    HollyTtortugadpm50
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Exactly. People come to Chicago and ask where to swim. Ummm Lake Michigan? The usual response is "ewwww"
    dpm50
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    You hate cruise ships because you have to look at it all day, but you can't touch it...
    dpm50NoelFigart

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    Every time you take your family to the beach, about 2 hours in your spouse, without prompting, sighs deeply and says, "Fine. Go ahead."
    WillM

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• Crossing the Richmond /San Rafael Bridge on an earrrrly Sunday ( before dawn) you crane your neck to see through the railings to see what the water looks like....
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited November 2013
    Walking into the day room at the mighty South End....it's winter...water is 49f and it's raining..you see a pilot reading the Comical....sudenly both look at Alcatraz....the swimmer says let's do it, both nod and agree.... because it has to be done!!!!
    dpm50

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• rxleakemrxleakem Southwestern Vermont, USAMember
    edited November 2013
    ... when, while getting some tests done at the doctor's office, you are questioned as to whether you have started any new meds that might lower your heart rate. "Nope, I've just taken up endurance/marathon swimming since my last visit." ;)
    dpm50

<))><

• The pharmacist thinks you are having a lot more fun with the tubs of Vaseline than you actually are.
    dpm50
  • JenAJenA Charter Member
    ... when even the slightest scent of diesel makes you grin, inhale, and sigh happily. :)
  • You are wearing a bikini and sunscreen under your long underwear, and pack hot snaps and tea
  • you find yourself forgetting that a deck change is not widely accepted on the gym floor or yoga studio….
    HollyTdpm50
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    edited November 2013
    ...this happens....at the end of October, nonetheless!

1380645_10101547314121981_1063344434_n.jpg?dl=1
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    You have boat captain and kayaker friends from all over the world.
  • You have GU, goggles , caps, suits in EVERY locale, car, office , parents house, two pools..and TWO clubs.
    HollyT
  • When tourists at your Florida beach eye you suspiciously and ask if you are Canadians, because those would be the only people silly enough to go frolicking in 58 degree water.
    (Then said tourists are flabbergasted because not only are you a local, plan on going in the water, but you plan on swimming in it and not coming out for four or more hours).
    [Deleted User]
  • You don't wear a coat in the winter because being mildly cold is 'good training'.
    NoelFigartCopelj26WillM
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    You have interesting conversations with TSA agents about the peculiar contents of your luggage.
    dpm50Copelj26
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    When you do a workout in a pool, you never refer to it as going for a swim.
    Kate_Alexander
  • When you lean down to the floor and water drips out your nose.
    WillM
  • GordsGords Syracuse, UTCharter Member
    When you see a half moon in the sky and go into flashback mode.
  • You find sea grass in your laundry as you are putting it into the dryer.
    timsrootwendyv34
  • swimm4rswimm4r Member
    edited May 2014
    You might be an open water swimmer if you spend your free time hovering over lakes and shorelines measuring distances on Google Earth.
    IronMikeKate_AlexanderNoelFigartssthomasJaimie
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited May 2014
    You might be a marathon swimmer the moment you realize the bubbles in your Speedo are the result of your Gatorade feeds metabolising.
    IronMike
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    Your swim suit has frozen overnight, but you put it on again in the morning anyway.
    JenAHollyTdpm50Jaimie

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

...you think about being eaten as often as you think about eating.

evmoHollyTJenAjroyerAnthonyMcCarleyJaimiePaigeKieding

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

That is very telling evmo that you gave malinaka a thumbs up on the above post....how about this one

You need a button hook to find it afterward

ssthomas

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

Your medical file describes "extreme tolerance to cold/pain" as a "symptom". :-)

tortugaCopelj26
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

ChickenOSea said:
    Exactly. People come to Chicago and ask where to swim. Ummm Lake Michigan? The usual response is "ewwww"

When I was a kid, my family vacationed on Fire Island--Great South Bay on one side, Atlantic Ocean on the other--and one day, I came across a picture of a house with a swimming pool--and thought why would they need that?

• SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

...When you look at the empty lake after the summer hoards have departed, gloating to yourself "It's all mine now!", and dread the coming of spring when the boaters will return.

dpm50NoelFigarttortugaswimdaily[Deleted User]suziedodsCopelj26
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

You swim straight into the pool wall at Masters because you've zoned out and temporarily forgotten you're not in the sea. (Yes, I did it this morning.)

malinakadpm50SoloKate_AlexanderNoelFigarttortugaswimdailyswimrn62Copelj26PaigeKieding
  • You know what time it is in while in the water by the incoming airplane overhead. An eagle swooping in to eat a duckling passes for entertainment. You join in the search for a crictically injured wake boarder by swimming your regular route and looking around a bit more carefully. You have a collection of sunglasses found underwater at the beach.

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

Your core is always so covered by red dots from sea lice that the women in the locker room are shocked and afraid.

dpm50Jaimie
  • Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

Elaine said:
    You have a collection of sunglasses found underwater at the beach.

In the past 6 months I have collected Chanel, Maui Jim, Tori Burch, Oakley, and 2 pairs of no-name sunglasses. OWS can be a rewarding sport.

• Kate_AlexanderKate_Alexander Spring Lake, MichiganSenior Member

swimrn62 said:
    Your core is always so covered by red dots from sea lice that the women in the locker room are shocked and afraid.

Ha - this happened to me yesterday when I asked a friend to put sunblock on my back and she saw a week's worth of welts.

edited March 2016

Tell me about it! And watch the reaction to the phrase "sea lice"!

I've had some success with a product called Safe Sea. My first go at it was less successful until I realized I needed to apply it all over, not just on exposed skin. Not perfect, but an improvement!

swimrn62 said:

SydneD

Anyone see my goggles, btw? Lost them in Sunset Lake off Wildwood Crest in 2006. ;) (p.s. They're yours if you find them, ha!)

Kate_Alexander said:

Elaine said:
    You have a collection of sunglasses found underwater at the beach.

In the past 6 months I have collected Chanel, Maui Jim, Tori Burch, Oakley, and 2 pairs of no-name sunglasses. OWS can be a rewarding sport.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

You have goggles, ear plugs, caps and even a suit in your backpack but NO TRANSIT CARD. This means that you can't get home and must go swimming after work !):)

NoelFigart
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Can you swim home? ;)

dpm50

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

When you're elated for your first early season cold water swim... and nearby fishermen comment, "It's a little early for that, don't you think?"

AnthonyMcCarleywendyv34rosemarymintKatieBun
    edited April 2016

... if you twitch swimming-like movements while you sleep.

Or, for bonus points: if you've ever been dreaming about pool swimming and actually managed to wake yourself up by attempting a flip turn in your bed.

I can't be the only person this has happened to. :) There I was, dead asleep and dreaming about swimming, when I dreamt I swam over the end-of-lane T. My abs contracted, my hip flexors flexed, and I sat straight up in bed. :)

Deemadpm50AnthonyMcCarleymjstaplesIronMikessthomasflystormsWillM
    edited April 2016

JenA said:
    ... if you twitch swimming-like movements while you sleep.

Or, for bonus points: if you've ever been dreaming about pool swimming and actually managed to wake yourself up by attempting a flip turn in your bed.

I can't be the only person this has happened to. :) There I was, dead asleep and dreaming about swimming, when I dreamt I swam over the end-of-lane T. My abs contracted, my hip flexors flexed, and I sat straight up in bed. :)

Have totally woken up from flip turns or dives in my sleep. I dream of swimming pretty regularly, but often I'm stuck trying to "swim" on dry land. I once dreamed there was a swim meet in someone's formal dining room. The dining room chairs were the starting blocks and the table was the pool. It's weird. Also, before big swim events, I usually start to have nightmares that part of the swim will involve running. I wake up in a cold sweat and have to remind myself that no one can make me run if I don't want to!

NoelFigartAnthonyMcCarleyJenAdpm50
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

@JenA What are these "flip turns" you talk of? :)

NoelFigartJenAdpm50

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• RobertPalmeseRobertPalmese San Diego, CAGuest

If you over heat in the pool after just a warm-up.

JSwimwendyv34Solodc_in_sfrosemarymintNoelFigartdpm50MaryStella
  • ocnswimocnswim Annapolis,MDMember

The question, "Aren't you afraid of sharks?" leads to a list of the sharks you have seen and your favorite kind.

rosemarymintdpm50Kate_Alexander
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member
    edited April 2016

ocnswim said:
    The question, "Aren't you afraid of sharks?" leads to a list of the sharks you have seen and your favorite kind.

So, kinda like bird watching on steroids?