You might be an open water swimmer if ...

124»

Comments

• JenAJenA Charter Member

@dc_in_sf said:
    @JenA What are these "flip turns" you talk of? :)

Wellll.... :) I was lying on my back, asleep, when I dreamt that I swam over the black end-of-lane "T". I don't know why the mechanism that usually represses movement during sleep wasn't active, but I dreamt that I was doing a flip turn, and my body started to move accordingly. I felt my stomach muscles and hip flexors fire as if I was in the pool. Since I was lying on my back, my chest launched forward, and I sat straight up in bed. The muscle activity pushed my legs into the mattress, which stopped my legs from moving. I think this was the actual reason I awoke -- it was like the laws of dream physics had been violated. I woke up feeling extremely disoriented: I'd expected to be facedown/upside down, and I was face up/sitting upright.

As my disorientation wore off, I recognized it as the epic swim achievement that it is. :)

evmoCopelj26dpm50
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

ocnswim said:
    The question, "Aren't you afraid of sharks?" leads to a list of the sharks you have seen and your favorite kind.

Heh. I totally am. Well, about five species of them.

dpm50
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Or another possible response... "What, have you never heard of pool sharks?"

ocnswim said:
    The question, "Aren't you afraid of sharks?" leads to a list of the sharks you have seen and your favorite kind.

NoelFigart
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

When making plans for work trips, you find places to stay on the beach that are within your per diem so you can force yourself out to the ocean for a sunrise workout before a 10 hour meeting.

dc_in_sfNoelFigartIronMikej9swimdpm50Copelj26
  • andissandiss Senior Member

There is lanolin stains on your steering wheel.

JenAdpm50
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

While you, personally, might have antifreeze for blood, In responding to employee complaints about a cold office, you threaten those who turn the AC up too cold with the punishment of having to do an open water swim with you. No wetsuit.

dpm50
  • PiaPia NJMember

You refuse to do flip turns in the pool since its completely unnecessary in the ocean, so why bother training a useless skill!

dc_in_sfKate_AlexanderSolotortugaCopelj26
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

You have to clean gobs of seaweed out of your shower drain.

Jaimiedpm50

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

You do 100x100’s and think, “Wow, I am out of shape.”

(I like this tread so much that I had to give it a bump.)

KatieBunsuziedodsdpm50
  • andissandiss Senior Member

Your planned evening swim route has to be changed because there is a whale (who is feeding and breaching) in the way!

SoloAnthonyMcCarleyslknightKatieBunsuziedodspavlicovrosemarymintKate_Alexander
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

Bridget said:

timsroot said:
    Haydn" said:Your Speedos are still wet when you put them on.

That doesn't mean you're an open water swimmer. It means that you either don't have enough suits, or you aren't hanging them up to dry. I remember putting on wet suits for two a days when I was in high school. Fortunately, I can afford more suits now.

(That was weird-- I tried to do a post, and it just posted the quote. Sorry-- no way to edit, that I know.)

Now, putting on a wet suit? NEVER. Beyond ick. I always have spares, and more in the car, and have mixed and matched two piece suits to be sure I NEVER have to put on a damp suit. I hang a morning suit off the rear view mirror in my car and let it drip into a bag or onto a towel while I'm at work, or drape it over a lawn chair propped in the back seat- just in case I need it. And when the suits get raggedy, I layer. Old suits are great for those cold swims that you want to be able to dry off quickly after. ;-)

And since I very rarely have to share Lane 2 in the winter where I work on Mondays, Niek's idea of floor toys may need to be tested!!!

dpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I rarely put on a damp suit these days. Usually I just swim once a day. But on those occasions where I forgot to dry out my suit, I've had to put on the damp one. What's funny is that it takes me back to my childhood for some reason. I was always pulling on a damp suit at the time for many reasons. (Multiple swims per day. Had to take off swim suit to be allowed to eat lunch at the table. Typical dumb kid leaving my suit and towel wadded up in the car or on the floor. Etc. etc...) Anyway, when I'm pulling on that damp suit now, it reminds me of all the fun times I had swimming as a kid. So, yes it's icky and I hate it, but I also love it.

ssthomasStephendpm50
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I HATE damp suits! Gives me flashbacks to doubles as a kid. I love swimming, but not enough to wear wet suits as an adult. We always wore like 3-4 suits when I was a kid, so they never dried. Now, we can just wear one and it'll dry out fast enough. Curly, I think your happiness for swimming just went a little too far for me. ;-)

dpm50
  • You can assess the relative salinity of the water by how quickly your armpits chafe when you've forgotten to apply grease...

IronMikeMvGdpm50
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited September 2019

...when you comment on your friend's vacation picture with "Did you swim in that lake?" Even in the winter.

MvGBogdanZCopelj26dpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• TPear33904TPear33904 Cape Coral FloridaNew Member

You are about to go on a first date with someone you met while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, and you have not formally been with her on dry land!

AnthonyMcCarleyKate_AlexanderflystormsSolocurlyMLambydpm50
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

It reminds me of the time I ran into one of the young lady life guards at the grocery store. We did a double take and she said, "Oh, I didn't recognize you with your clothes on."

Yep, there were a few surprised looks from the other customers...

flystormsdpm50IronMike
  • You always take your swimsuit and goggles with you whenever you go away on a trip (local and overseas) and always use google maps to find the nearest water.
    You are good at changing in and out of your swimsuit while holding a towel around yourself, or sometimes don't even bother with the towel!

gw

IronMikeflystormsSolodpm50wendyv34