La Jolla Rough Water 2016 canceled

ChrisBChrisB Issaquah, WAMember

Just saw this article:

http://www.sdnews.com/view/full_story/27201377/article-Poor-water-quality-cancels-La-Jolla-Rough-Water-Swim-?instance=most_popular1

I haven't swam in the cove since last fall but it has always been a favorite spot of mine to train when I'm in town.

Tagged:

Comments

• marlinmarlin Member

Thanks for letting us know.
    Too bad though! I was really looking forward to this one. It was my favorite race course/setting so far.

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

We (I'll elaborate if requested) had a meeting on Thurs and it may finally come to fruition to implement a management plan, with or without the actionless, spineless SD City Council/Mayor's approval to "disperse and deter" as is allowed under MMPA section 109H!
    We're gonna take back the Cove!!

So, stay tuned for possible reschedule of LJRWS.

Our LJCSC Pier To Cove Swim June 25 is going forward as planned.

Our LJC 10 Mile Relay & Solo event in Sept is, as of now, proceeding as planned also.

I haven't heard anything yet about the big CAF event in Sept.

But we have time to save these events from having to make the same fkd up decision as LJRWS had to...so we're hopeful...if we do what we're legally allowed to do!

ChrisgreenelakesprayJustSwimocnswimrosemarymint
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

Any plans for a "Tour of the Buoys" swim this year at La Jolla Shores?

Ellis said:
    Any plans for a "Tour of the Buoys" swim this year at La Jolla Shores?

No.
    The buoys are no longer!

=((

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

So, am I understanding that one is limited ( prohibited?) from swimming in La Jolla Cove due to sea lion poop?
    Seriously?
    I mean SF Bay is cleaner than it was but truth be told there is literally ALOT of sh** in it along with countless other chemicals that I am sure are deadly, but no one prohibits us from swimming in it. It's a risk we take.
    Can you clarify a bit? I read the article but not sure of the details.
    Thank you.

edited June 2016

Hi @suziedods,

(Sorry we missed each other last week)

LJ Cove and surrounding areas are not closed or limited in any way...(not yet anyway! If pinniped activists get their way, like they previously did with Children's Pool closing for the harbor seals! And the City continues the with their collected head up its ass!)

I think we have a different, more concentrated problem here at Cove then you do there.
    With sometimes now 300 sea lions occupying the small Cove beach, and their commensurate feces fest, the contamination saturation especially in the sand and immediate water in the Cove, it is a definite human health and safety issue.

County health advisory signs were posted for about 3weeks last month (the longest continued period any of the old timers could remember in history; maybe a day or two after rain, but that's not even common due to not much runoff into Cove because of hills/drainage direction).

This created dilemma for LJRWS with their June 1 registration looming...and they therefore decided to cancel.
    ("Postpone until situation improves"...but that ain't gonna happen without dispersing the cause!)

suziedods
  • MikeHMikeH Member

I'm not an expert, but in my recent experiences in San Fran and LaJolla, Lajolla has a massively bigger colony of these animals vs San Fran. I don't know how you guys in LaJolla swim there - it looks more crowded than a ladies night at a college bar : ).

DanSimonellisuziedods
  • EllisEllis Baltimore, MarylandMember

How about LaJolla Shores. Is that area OK for swimming, or has the Pinniped poop contamination extended to that area as well?

edited July 2016

The Shores is fine.
    And, the Cove is fine too.
    The sea lions have "magically" dispersed!
    ;))

JustSwimhmeermanSpacemanspiff
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

DanSimonelli said:
    The Shores is fine.
    And, the Cove is fine too.
    The sea lions have "magically" dispersed!
    ;))

So you're saying that wasn't you tossing firecrackers onto the beach?

DanSimonelli

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

edited July 2016

@Spacemanspiff

Firecrackers? No. :D

B-)

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

Hey @DanSimonelli

Just curious it's a year later, any updates you can share about the current state of La Jolla cove and shores?

The numbers started to decrease (more naturally) toward end of 2016, and then the contamination signs removed start of Dec and it's been better since then.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Any rumbling about the Rough Water happening or not?

Nothing