20 Bridges Circumnavigation Swim of Manhattan

david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
edited September 2016 in Event Announcements

On behalf of New York Open Water, I would like to introduce 20 Bridges, a Circumnavigation Swim of Manhattan.

The offerings of NYC Swim are on hiatus, and many of the open water community have been left high and dry. The crown jewel, MIMS, was an event that I looked forward to every year.

It seems no longer reasonable to defer to a sanctioning body that is unable to provide the basic services required to attempt this iconic swim. The decision to add this swim to our calendar is not one we came to lightly. The logistics are complicated, and marathon swimming is a sport that frowns upon the usurpation of an established entity. We would not, nor could not have moved forward in this direction without the encouragement and support of so many marathon swimmers and safety personnel.

David Barra
New York Open Water

Some information cleverly disguised as FAQ's

-Why 20 Bridges and not MIMS?
A few reasons.... We don't wish to infringe upon any trademarks either actual or implied, and we like bridges. (I hope we counted all of them!)

-Will 20 Bridges count as part of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming?
You bet!

-How many swimmers can New York Open Water accommodate?
Not sure. Our first run will be on August 15, 2016. We have 8 swimmers.

-Will there be any other dates announced for 2016?
If there is enough interest, August 20.

-Can I pre-register for the 2017 season?
We expect to announce dates for 2017 at the end of this season, and open registration on November 1, 2016.

-Where can I get more info?
"Like" our FB page, visit nyopenwater.org, send me an email david@nyopenwater.org

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Tagged:
JenAtimsrootevmorlmrosemarymintmalinakagregocAnthonyMcCarleyKarenTswimrn62phodgeszohoj9swimslknightkejoycegrappledunkJaynabilradSpacemanspiffdaveyswimsDeemabluemermaid9aafairmansuziedodshmeermanjendutcourtneypaulkloneswimmerJustSwimtortugachloemccardeldotcomjroyerGordsMaryStellamysterybobSoloDanSimonelliJGoodedpm50lakesprayJaimieSydneDTheojohnyGMvG

Comments

• WOW! What sensational news! I would love to be part of this event in the near future and bring my swimmers from Australia and across the world! With Dave Barra as part of the organisation team I am sure the event will be a great success and run very professionally with the best interest of swimmers at the heart and centre of the swim :) Looking forward to hearing more... :) !!!!

david_barramysterybobslknighttortugaDanSimonellidpm50jbs
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Wonderful news! Whooohooo! I'm sure this will make lots and lots of swimmers happy!

mysterybobdavid_barra
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

Really great news!!!! Any thoughts on accommodating swimmers of different speeds in the future?

rosemarymintsuziedodsJenAtortugadavid_barradpm50JaimieKatieBun
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Out-f$%#%&-ingstanding, Dave. You rock!

Spacemanspiffsuziedodstortugadavid_barraSydneD

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

This is thrilling news! Game-changing. I have to re-work my 2017 plans!

Thanks for doing this, David. I imagine there were many political hurdles, in addition to the obvious physical ones, and I appreciate your enduring those in service to our sport. I think this was a real logjam for many people and based upon your fine reputation, I imagine the swim around Manhattan, by any name, will now get the logistical and organizational confidence it warrants.

Who are these 8 lucky souls?!

ssthomassuziedodstortugadavid_barramysterybob

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

j9swim said:
    Really great news!!!! Any thoughts on accommodating swimmers of different speeds in the future?

We certainly wish to continue the NYOW tradition of accommodation

rosemarymintbluemermaid9IronMikeJenAJSwimpavlicovsuziedodstortugaswimrn62Jayj9swimdpm50JGoodeKatieBunMaryStellaLynnkub

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I am just so excited , I may try to qualify again.
    Congratulations on "birthing" the swim.
    Are there really 20 Bridges???

david_barraJayssthomas
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

@suziedods said: Are there really 20 Bridges???

Yep... better start working on your backstroke!

Kudos to Dave and Rondi. This is a big deal (understatement of the year).

david_barrapavlicovJaysuziedodsswimrn62slknightIronMikerlmssthomasbluemermaid9j9swimtimsrootaafairmanmysterybobDanSimonelliSydneDTheo
  • edited July 2016

Thanks David for organising the swim. I look forward to joining you and the other swimmers on 15 Aug.

IronMikedavid_barrabluemermaid9Solo
  • bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member
  • JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

I am entered in this event but am having difficulty securing my crew member. I had one tentatively lined up, but that fell through. If anyone knows anyone willing to do this, I would greatly appreciate it. They will be compensated for their time of course.

Solonabilrad
  • LOSTswimmerLOSTswimmer Oakville, Ontario, CanadaMember
    edited July 2016

Good work David!!! I remember well swimming that race with you in 2010! Great to see you keeping the swim alive!

david_barrassthomas

Cheers,
    Rob

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Even though this swim is out of my wheelhouse, I'm delighted to see it revived! This is so important a part of NY swimming now and in the history of o.w. swimming that preserving it keeps alive a special tradition --and offers new swimmersion an opportunity to experience it!

IronMikenabilrad

Got a couple of spots available for August 20.

email me if interested david@nyopenwater.org

• @Jay. Happy to help out. contact me offline to discuss!

suziedodsJay
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2016

Tracking of the first cohort of 20 Bridges Manhattan swimmers is available today on track.rs/20Bridges

There are nine swimmers, five of whom have registered with the tracking service (indicated in bold).

1 Tracy Clark
    2 Marty Munson
    3 Marty Filipowski
    4 Kristy McIntyre
    5 Jim Chiudioni
    6 Patrick McKnight
    7 Colum Lavelle
    8 Shane Moraghan
    9 Serbo Simeoni

Tracy_Clark

Wow, what a great first run! Congrats to all the 20 Bridges https://www.nyopenwater.org/20-bridges-results/

gregocpavlicovKarenTdaveyswimsJaylakesprayIronMikethelittlemerwookiesuziedodsTracy_Clark

• JayJay Outside Boston, MAMember

To Dave, Rondi, and Alex - you guys did an amazing job. Thanks for jumping in and handling everything so that this event could be done this year. Thanks to you, my bucket list is down by one item!!

SLSchneiderJaimiegregocdavid_barraAlex_Arevalo
  • SLSchneiderSLSchneider New York City and East HamptonMember

Swimming this Saturday and already I like this race. Reliable updates from the organizers, didn't have to jump through hoops, conference calls, endless application to get registered. All good.

JayrosemarymintJaimiemalinakathelittlemerwookiedavid_barrasuziedods

SLSchneider said:
    Swimming this Saturday and already I like this race. Reliable updates from the organizers, didn't have to jump through hoops, conference calls, endless application to get registered. All good.

Sorry, I meant "swim" not "race"

JayJaimiesuziedodsAlex_Arevalo

Second run tomorrow

AnthonyMcCarleygregocsuziedods

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

track.rs/20Bridges

Tracked swimmers in bold:

• Rachael Elkaim
    • Dean Summers (plus individual tracking page)
    • Michael Hanisch
    • Spencer Schneider
    • Kenn Lichtenwalter
    gregoc

Michael Hanish is leading by about 1/2 mile

SLSchneider

20 Bridges on 8/20 was a great swim. We also swam over 4 tunnels and many schools of fish in the Hudson. Water was quite warm. Event extremely well planned and run as if it had been something done for years even though this was the 2nd running in a week.

Jaimie
    AnthonyMcCarleyssthomasgregocsuziedodsSLSchneiderJaimiejendut

AnthonyMcCarleyDanSimonellirosemarymintthelittlemerwookieIronMike

Tracker?

rlm

Results from yesterday's 20 Bridges are posted. Congratulations to swimmers and their crew. #20Bridges

1 Dan Canta 7:55:52 Romania, Australia
    2 Devon Clifford 8:03:10 Mamaroneck NY
    3 Maureen Montgomery 8:04:11 Clearwater FL
    4 James Loreto 8:09:44 Bethesda MD
    5 Daniel Martinez Lobo 8:11:41 London UK
    6 Jaimie Monahan 8:13:20 New York NY
    7 Arlene Gonzalez 8:16:18 Mexico
    8 Carloine Block 8:48:19 Baltimore MD

https://www.nyopenwater.org/20-bridges-results/

bluemermaid9AnthonyMcCarleyIronMikeJustSwimJaimiethelittlemerwookiekejoycedccliff

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Thanks @david_barra and team - another great trip around my favorite island. Huge congrats to you, Alex, and Rondi on a safe and successful season. Four new triple crowns too - woohoo!

david_barrathelittlemerwookieIronMikeJayAlex_Arevalo

https://www.nyopenwater.org/2017-20-bridges-entrants/

Check out the list of entrants for 2017!

j9swimMaryStellaevmoSpacemanspiff

• Im in! So excited!

IronMike
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

Me, too. Probably overly ambitious, but I'm still so excited and very grateful for how the morning email shifted my focus and attitude.

IronMikeMaryStella

w00t!

MaryStella

edited November 2016

OK, looked at NYOW and searched these forums, sorry if I missed the answer to this question:

Where does 20 Bridges start? I'm looking at airbnb and have no idea where to stay. (Oh, and any areas to avoid, let me know please.)

Thanks in advance for help!

The better question is where will we meet up in the morning.
    For June, July and September dates splash will be Pier A at the Battery, we will be loading boats at Pier 25 see photo.

For the August dates, we are still trying to decide if it might make more sense to splash at Mill Rock.... in which case we will load boats at La Marina lamarinanyc.com

Consider visiting with CIBBOWS at Brighton Beach during your trip..... probably the Russianist (I know not a word) neighborhood in America.

IronMikeMaryStellagregoc

david_barra said:
    For June, July and September dates splash will be Pier A at the Battery, we will be loading boats at Pier 25 see photo.

For the August dates, we are still trying to decide if it might make more sense to splash at Mill Rock.... in which case we will load boats at La Marina lamarinanyc.com

Consider visiting with CIBBOWS at Brighton Beach during your trip..... probably the Russianist (I know not a word) neighborhood in America.

Thanks Dave. I don't see a photo though.

Looking up Pier A on Google now...

• Pier A is a short cab ride from the Jane hotel where you can get a room for $100-150 a night...a tiny room but it's a bargain for Manhattan!

IronMikeJustSwimgregoc

> IronMike said:

david_barra said:

Thanks Dave. I don't see a photo though.

Looking up Pier A on Google now...

IMG_2940

Oh crap, missed that. We're loading the boats at Pier 25 and jumping off the boats at Pier A. Roger. Got it. Much nicer location as far as airBNB options! Thanks again!

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

I love the Jane Hotel and always stay there when I am in NYC. The rooms are small (microscopic) and best for only 1 person. The shared bathrooms are not a big issue for me but not really appealing to many. I like the vibe and location for the place. It is about a $12-15 cab ride due north of Pier A. Getting a cab at any hour of the day is pretty easy. Just walk up to the corner of Jane and Washington.

IronMike
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

My couch is available if a MSF swimmer prefers a homestay to a hotel. Send me a message.

Alex_Arevalo

IronMike said:
    Oh crap, missed that. We're loading the boats at Pier 25 and jumping off the boats at Pier A. Roger. Got it. Much nicer location as far as airBNB options! Thanks again!

OK, further question for @david_barra:

Because I don't like to assume, I'll ask this possibly dumb question. When we are done swimming (at Pier A) will we reload the boats at Pier A and go back to Pier 25 with the boats? Again, trying to decide where to search for Airbnb.

Thanks in advance!

• Yup. Back to Pier 25 for drop off. Usually, we try to get a little informal dinner & drinks in nearby with swimmers, kayakers, & crews...nowhere that wouldn't have us.

IronMikeMaryStella

Thanks @Alex_Arevalo!

Good luck to all involved in today's iteration of 20 Bridges!

What is the live track link for this?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2017

Today's lineup:

Extra congrats will be in order for 17-year old Prabhat Koli, finishing his Triple Crown.

bluemermaid9thelittlemerwookieIronMikeSydneDBridget
    edited June 2017

Due to the time difference and work, I had to bail on the tracker and go to sleep about 7 hour in. I hope everyone completed the circumnavigation and I look forward to reading swim reports!